450 Turnigy Swash Plate Leveller and Pitch Gauge - Blade 450

Zadren

After a recent horrid crash with my Blade 450, I'm having to do a pretty extensive rebuild - main shaft, spindle, both gears, blades, etc.

I bought a Turnigy swashplate levelling tool to do the setup with, but can't for the life of me find any guidance on how to use the thing - even the 'official' Blade Helis mechanical setup vids don't mention levelling the swashplate. Can anyone offer me a clue please?

Also, I bought a Turnigy pitch gauge and having seen them used briefly on the vids, I was wondering what you use as a reference to 'line up' the gauge with. I can see how you slip the thing over the blade and set the gauge with the slider, but what do you use as a straight edge to line it up with?

I'm planning on being very careful and doing as accurate a set up as possible before I take it flying and learn how to keep the thing in the air.

Many thanks. :)

Tony

Staff member
This question will depend on what type of swash tool you have. If it's one that slips over the main shaft, you will remove everything from the head and shaft except the swash. Then you will sit the tool on the 3 links and adjust subtrim until all points are touching. If it's not the tool that slips over the main shaft, then I'm not sure. Please post a link to this tool so we may have a look at it.

And when you use the pitch gauge, you will line it up with the flybar. Make sure the flybar is horizontally level, then adjust the tool to find out your pitch at a given stick percentage.

Lee

The swash tool is the normal style. So as Tony said, take of everything on the main shaft except the swashplate. Drop the leveller over the main shaft, so the three arms sit on top of the three swashplate ball links and adjust the subtrim to get them all level. Once that is done you can check that the servos move evenly by moving the throttle stick up and down checking that the swash leveller stays in contact with the swash at high and low stick. If not you can adjust the travel limit either + or - to get it right.
Hope this helps.
Lee

murankar

Staff member
Ya, that tool is definatly a must have for the tool box. Once you get the heli in the sky you'll see what I mean. I have all my trims set to ZERO for the first time ever. My eyes were way off, I didn't realize how far till I leveled my swash. What's nice is that it is universal for the most part. So any heli with the right size main shaft and is 120 degree swash will work with your swash tool.

Top Bottom