Other turnigy 9XR

Hey guys,
I'm running the DX8 and having a ball. but i want to get a new radio for the old man. He's currently got the little cheap D4 or whatever it is that comes with the RTF Mcpx.
I was looking at getting him the turnigy 9Xr radio with the JR/spektrum transmitter module.
Anyone had any experience with this radio?
Or should I go all out and be really nice and get him a DX8?

Tony

Staff member
Did he piss you off? Personally I would not give even someone that pissed me off a turnigy tx. I just don't trust China electronics that are designed and built in china. Cheapest I would go is a DX6i, DX7s is great and DX8 as you know, is a beast and best of all. I myself am thinking about selling my DX8 and trying something new, but I can assure you this, it will NOT be anything from China. I"m thinking JR or Futaba myself.

Take it as you will, that is just my $0.02.

I do have my concerns with chinese, esp after dealing with my hk450pro...
I'm just waiting to see what happens with my chinese gyro, and how long it will be before i swap it out for something better, along with better tail servo...
the specs seemed reasonable, and yeah have similar concerns to you about the unit, hence while waiting to see if some other tight bugger has given it a go!! hahaha

Tony

Staff member
I think Westy has played with it a bit. Not positive though. I will still go with what's known to work well such as JR, spektrum and futaba.

Westy

LEGEND
I had a good run with the Turnigy 9x Radio ... you do have to open them up and re-check the QC and sometimes have to resolder dry joints ... But I never ever had a brown out and I was going to Get a 9xr as I am familiar with the ER9x Software after extensively modding my 9x Radio!

Tony, what Futaba are you looking at getting? a Super 8 or something .... I hear that the latest firmware gives them 14 channels ..... if you grow out of that ... then you have had octopus surgery LMAO

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, the 8FGH is one of the cheaper ones that I have been looking at. It's still classified as an 8ch Tx, but with mixing, you have 14 channels. I just dont' like the looks of it much. But have heard it's an excellent Tx! The 14SGH is another one that I'm looking at. Slightly more though.

for JR, I"m looking at the XG8 and XG11. I just LOVE the looks of these things lmao. Almost alien like lmao.

I have to admit, I was looking at futaba and jr before the spektrum, and the jr radios do look very spesh!!

- - - Updated - - -

with the 9x dad would be more than comfortable pulling it apart, fixing up dry solders etc....
Electronically he wont have an issue.... Electronics were his specialty. It's the programming etc that had me concerned.
I'll hold off i think and look at something like the 6 or 7 and see where i end up

Tony

Staff member
The down side to the JR XG8 and XG11 is they are on DMSS and not DSMX or DSM2. This means I would have to buy ALL new Rx for my many aircraft lmao. Which would SUCK!!!

You can't go wrong with the 6i if he is just getting into it. No sense in dropping 4 bills on something that he may or may not stick with. I think we all started on the DX6i and we are all pretty much now going to the DX8. Then there is me that is always looking for something new looking at completely different Tx's lmao. It's just another game in this hobby!

I was thinking staying with Spektrum just so i can keep all the same Rx's, and then he can keep all the same rx's for the couple of smaller birds he has.
I thought JR and spektrum were interchangable? at least to a certain extent anyway

- - - Updated - - -

I have seen a few around that price as well, and am tempted for him, bit dearer that the 9XR but proven and I know it will work

murankar

Staff member
I have the th9x and have not had any issues with my setup. I just recently added the frsky module which seems to work well.

For the micro world you will be better off with the Specktrum stuff. Most of the better micros are made for Specktrum and a lot of the fbl systems out there are compatible.

Stambo

I use a 9x v2 with original firmware for all my flyers at the moment and have not had any issues.
A friend has the 9xr and same result.
I am going to change to frsky module version as then I can modify the original 9x module and put the aerial in it so I have interchangeable modules.
Still need the original 9x module for flying v911 and v949.

murankar

Staff member
Yeah about that. I had to butcher my antenna to get it out. Needless to say I can never go back to the original module.

murankar

Staff member
If I could I would. I have a fun fly coming up on the 18th of may.

I would really like to figure out why I can't flash my tx. I wonder if my flashing device is defective.

murankar

Staff member
I plug mine straight to the PC without a USB cable. I thought maybe my wiring was bad, so I posted a pic. I also have the cable that soldiers to the tx running straight to the flashing unit. I left the D-sub connector out of the equation.

murankar

Staff member
I have the error code in my th9x DIY upgrades and firmware thread. My mod is the back light kit from hobby king oh and the new module for frisky and that's it.

Top Bottom