Other Turnigy 9XR set up for Fly Bar heli

Aigars

Hi All,

Before everyone gets pissed off by this post and starts sending me all sorts of abuse I would like to say that I have tried my best googling, Youtubeing and browsing forums to find the answer I am looking for, I have found various ways and have tried them all however none of it worked out for me and I am now stuck.

I am quite a beginner still and got myself a fully set up 450 scale Flybar heli (Belt cp v2) without transmitter and receiver. Bought myself FrSky 7 channel receiver and Turnigy 9XR with FrSky module.

After trying standard templates and trying various combinations with servos going in the receiver channels I can't get ANY collective movement with throttle stick and by moving cyclic it's not responding in the way it should.

I'm sure there are others that have gone through this hell. I am truly desperate and willing to listen to all sorts of abuse, I just want to fly my heli, it's been sitting on the table for at least a month and I have not gotten further than setting up transmitter, it's all about patience with helis, but mine is wearing out.

Please help

Tony

Staff member
Hey Aigars, first off, welcome to RCH! Second off, lets refer to your first paragraph. We are NOT the larger sites. We will not get "pissed off" because you asked a question. I don't care if the question has been asked on here a thousand times, if you don't know the answer, then ask the question. If we know of a thread where it has been answered, we will post a link to the other thread. We will never bash a member, no matter what the question, on this forum. That is why I created this forum. I was tired of all of the bashing on "noobs" and there had to be a change. And thus, Rc-Help was born.

Unfortunately, I don't know these Tx's and am of no help. If I had more time to research, I would try to find the answer, but I"m running around like a chicken with it's head cut off this weekend. Just wanted to catch up on the forum real fast.

With that said though, there are a number of members that do know these Tx's. I'm sure they will be in here shortly. I just wanted to let you know, you can always ask the question in here that you don't know the answer to.

Welcome to RCH!
:welcome1:

murankar

Staff member
First off let's reaffirm what Tony said. If we are bashing we are not helping which contradicts the title of the forum.

Second I have a th9X with similar firmware. I also have on here a basic heli setup. I will need to find it. Lastly the setup I have on here is for fbl, there is it much difference between the two. Once you read that post you should have a better understanding of the setup procedures. I can fill you in on the differences once you have gone through the fbl setup.

- - - Updated - - -

How To: er9x companion9x - th9x, Taranis, 9xr

- - - Updated - - -

I think I am one of only members on here currently that has any experience in this radio. Most have either moved up or moved on. I will do my very best to help you out. I think later on I will do a fly bar version of the firm ware. I may even be able to upload the file. In some was if I do that you may not learn anything from it. You have to play with this radio to lean it. The learning curve is steep.

Aigars

First off let's reaffirm what Tony said. If we are bashing we are not helping which contradicts the title of the forum.

Second I have a th9X with similar firmware. I also have on here a basic heli setup. I will need to find it. Lastly the setup I have on here is for fbl, there is it much difference between the two. Once you read that post you should have a better understanding of the setup procedures. I can fill you in on the differences once you have gone through the fbl setup.

- - - Updated - - -

How To: er9x companion9x - th9x, Taranis, 9xr

- - - Updated - - -

I think I am one of only members on here currently that has any experience in this radio. Most have either moved up or moved on. I will do my very best to help you out. I think later on I will do a fly bar version of the firm ware. I may even be able to upload the file. In some was if I do that you may not learn anything from it. You have to play with this radio to lean it. The learning curve is steep.

Guys, I really appreciate your patience! Link you have posted is a great write up and I have gone through that also, didn't even realise it was yours. I have gone through it again and it seems all straight forward. Could you talk a little about receiver and its channels, I have a FrSky 7 channel receiver which does not specify which servo goes in which channel, just numbers next to them, am I assuming that channels are same as in your write up

Ch1 aile
Ch2 elev
Ch3 thr
Ch4 rud
Ch5 gain
Ch6 virtual collective mix

If that is so, which channel does pitch servo plug in to?

Cheers

murankar

Staff member
Servos plug in in this order:

Elevator (left servo) channel 1
Aileron (right servo) Chanel 2
Esc: channel 3
Rudder: channel 4
Tail gain: channel 5
Elevator (center servo): channel 6

In the mixes screen you will want collective mixing on channel 6. In my setup thread where I discuss the servo layout you will want 120° 3 servo swash. What I have in that setup is either a -- or 0, that is for fbl. On that same screen you should see an option called collective. Set that to ch6. Swash ring should be 0. In your mixes you should be able to use the same setup I have listed. One more thing, your tail servo will plug into the tail gyro and your 3 wire lead on that will plug into channel 4. Your gain wire (single wire lead) goes to channel 5. That should do it for now. Everything else should mimic the fbl setup.

Aigars

Servos plug in in this order:

Elevator (left servo) channel 1
Aileron (right servo) Chanel 2
Esc: channel 3
Rudder: channel 4
Tail gain: channel 5
Elevator (center servo): channel 6

In the mixes screen you will want collective mixing on channel 6. In my setup thread where I discuss the servo layout you will want 120° 3 servo swash. What I have in that setup is either a -- or 0, that is for fbl. On that same screen you should see an option called collective. Set that to ch6. Swash ring should be 0. In your mixes you should be able to use the same setup I have listed. One more thing, your tail servo will plug into the tail gyro and your 3 wire lead on that will plug into channel 4. Your gain wire (single wire lead) goes to channel 5. That should do it for now. Everything else should mimic the fbl setup.

Right, I have done it exactly how you described and here is my result now

Left stick up/down gives centre servo down/up
Left stick left right corresponds to rudder
Right stick up gives right servo down
Right stick left gives left servo down

It's still screwed up, I got no collective movement with throttle stick, I cleared a blank slot and build it from scratch starting with swash 120 and collective on ch6 (tried collective on ch11 also on a different day)

I was not expecting it to be easy, but this is hardcore

murankar

Staff member
Are you a mode 1 or mode 2? It sounds like your setup is mode 1. You should be able to set it to mode2.

Before we get collective working let's get the stick inputs correct. I fly with throttle and rudder on left stick and elevator / aileron on right stick.
As for collective your curves need to be setup and the channel set to those curves.

Last edited:

Aigars

Mode 2 mate

Just borrowed laptop from a friend, gonna do it in eepe and simulate, I should see the right movement in simulator right?

Aigars

Yes. It's better to setup the radio in the computer.

Why does 9xr have an USB port? Apparently to work with PC and eepe I need a different cable and I can't plug it through USB so why is there an USB port.

In simulator it works like a charm but if I replicate same settings in transmitter and try it on heli it's a different story.

Why can't I keep those settings that are in the standard heli template where
Ch1 is cyc1
Ch2 is cyc2
Ch3 is cyc3
Ch4 is rud
Ch5 is thr
Ch6 is gyro ?

murankar

Staff member
I have the cable. If you need it you can either let e know or you can order one. If you order it, it will be hit or miss on I'd it works. Mine works for sure.

But to answer your dilemma yes you need the programmer to load the settings. You are flashing the rom and that's why you need it. My 9X has been down graded to paper weight status so I don't need it. Just let me know. I even have Custom cable that is way long for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Those are just dummy settings. Why they used them as stock is beyond me. Even the curves are crap and need reset to one that will work. It's one of the nuances of that radio.

Aigars

I actually managed to get some sort of result, however it is by using those dummy settings from template heli setup/gyro set up/ sticky T cut.

I haven't got 3D mode, throttle cut does not work and throttle was in reverse

Now that I tampered with some positive/negative values for those I got cyclic moving correctly and collective is working with the throttle stick.

I'll try to attach pics of how those settings look like and the two curves - throttle 1 and I guess the other one is collective curve 4

There is still a strange glitch, I switch on my TX with the throttle stick all the way down as it should be and then connect my LiPo, swash plate is all the way down and it's all in level and right servo is buzzing like t wants to go down even more, then I pul the throttle stick up and down quickly (like trying to see if it not stuck or actually goes up) while everything is initialising and that glitch disappears. Don't know if I explained it, sounds like a mess. Then I thought what would happen if I would connect the LiPo with throttle stick in the middle position so that servos are not forced down, all servos straighten up nicely, no buzzing or chattering, just the engine gives me beeps because the throttle is not at 0.

What do you reckon?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

murankar

Staff member
Sounds like the servos are binding on power up. I am looking at the pics and few things are jumping out at me. First it looks like chanel 5 has your collective stuff, channel 6 has your tail gyro stuff and your throttle curves or on channel 11. Put the throttle curves on channel 3 (make sure your esc is plugged into channel 3). As you found out that if the numbers in the second column on the mixes screen, positive is normal travel and negative is reversed travel. Those numbers also limit the travel of the servos.

Corrections to make so far from what I see:

that arched curve you have needs to be 0 25 50 75 100 (this will be called linear from now on).

Your throttle cureves (c4, c5 and c6) should be (in this order) 0 40 70 70 70 (c4): 75 75 75 75 75 (this will be called a flat curve from now on; c5) : flat curve at 85. These numbers are starting points till you find what you like or want.

Collective trvel limits need to be set so that the binding does not occure. increase you low point until the noise goes away or reduces.

Channel 6 settings need to be moved to channel 5.

Your throttle cut will need curves assigned to them make sure to use your linear pitch curve that's already in use. Just assign it to that curve.

Throttle cut needs to be on channel 3 with you throttle curves. For the time being test it by adding the throttle cut to your current throttle curves and see if it works. If so then move all those to channel 3.

Now here is a kicker for you, just to add a little more complication to this whole thing. It does not matter how you plug the leds into the rx. But you better know what is what so you can the radio where things are. I suggest you stick with a specktrum layout which is what I have in my write up. I only suggest that because thats what most of us use on here. It will be easer for us to help you if you keep the Specktrum layout.

Thats all I can give you for right now I am going to be late for work. I will try and follow up at 18:00, 20:00 and 22:00 tonight. Those are my breaks.

Glad you are making progress.

Aigars

Hey, just finished work and seen your reply, I can't wait to get my hands on and try it. Thanks a million for all that info. After all this mess I'am actually starting to like this TX as its possible to rearrange and adjust absolutely everything - if you know what you want there are no limits really, just need to figure out how to do it.
I hope I am making progress as I was starting to loose it, nothing was working the way it should no matter what I've tried, now there is light and it becomes interesting again.

murankar

Staff member
That's how the taranis and the 9xr came about. The original th9X was the radio that started the open source projects. That's how I learned thus radio. I had to solder the wires for burning in the rom, I bricked a radio the first time I tried flashing it.

Get the hang of the radio first before you go jumping off the deep end. Anyhow there is a YouTube channel called how to westy style, I think. Anyhow he has a video of a basic setup on a 9X. If you need more than reading give that a shot. Westy did a great job on that video. It's straight to the point.

Aigars

Hi,

I've seen Westy's video and tried those settings couple of weeks ago, I think that was the first video when I You-tubed open TX. However even when Westy clearly states what servo goes in what channel and duplicating every thing what he does in video, my heli was not responding in that way and at that point I got really confused.
I played around with curves now and I got 3d mode which is progress, also kinda understand what those curves do, changed some settings and tried out as I removed motor from heli so that I can test.
It's all looking good for now except I haven't got throttle cut sorted. As soon as I switch throttle cut switch, motor stops which is a good sign, but also collr give gets screwed up. My right side servo goes all the way down and starts chattering, it does not go back level when I switch throttle cut back to throttle ON. Only way how to get swash in level is by raising throttle stick at least 60% and then back, it raises all 3 servos up and becomes level.

It's weird, it's the same symptoms as I described before, when I connect my LiPo, my swash does not level but right side servo goes all the way down and chatters, when I raise my throttle stick, it all goes nicely in level and responds as it should. When I lower throttle stick it goes all the way down and there is no binding.

murankar

Staff member
Make sure your (c#) is set to a linear pitch curve. Doesn't matter which just as long as its linear. That's what will allow you to auto rotate if you had to. Plus it aids in setup.

Aigars

Hi,

This transmitter doesn't stop surprising. I charged the battery for the first time for my 9xr and when I put it back in TX somethig strange happened. All controlls, all switches are inverted, I'm surprised the ON/OFF switch is still working correctly. Any clues?

Cheers

Top Bottom