Other Turnigy 9XR mixing

I recently purchased a 9XR to replace my aging Spectrum 6i. Programing the 9XR was quite different but I managed to program my 4 channel planes with out too much difficulty. I, however, have a couple of planes that have flaps. As you folks know, when you deploy landing flaps the craft noses up, left uncorrected this will lead to a nasty stall. The easiest fix is to mix in a little down elevator. Here in lies my problem. My elevator is on channel 3 and my flaps are on channel six that at are deployed by the gear switch. What I want to do is mix in about 15% down elevator in the gear switch so that the flaps and elevator deploy together yet still be able to make adjusts in the elevator with the stick. Can any one help me please?

Stambo

This should be quite straightforward with opentx.
From memory add this mix in your elevator channel
Source = MAX
Weight = -15 (or 15 depends which way is up, change this to suit the amount of elevator you want)
Curve = no
Trim = no
Dr/Expo = no
Sw = GEA
Multiplex = add

You could even make it deploy slow if you want.
Obviously test that it all works as it should before flying. :)

To explain this simply, you want something to happen on the elevator channel when you flick a switch so you add a mix to your elevator channel.
The fact that the gear switch is already doing something is irrelevant.

Once you understand the basics of how opentx works things like this become easy.

Last edited:
Okay. I have a few questions. What is opentx and where do I find it? From memory add this mix in your elevator channel? Do I simply make a copy of the elevator mix and drop it down under the same channel, (in this case channel 3)?

Okay. I answered my own questions. Opentx is new programing that replaces the regular 9xr programing. Thank you for your help. Apparently the 9xr is not all the radio I had hoped for or at least not without upgrades.

Last edited:

Stambo

It is actually a very customisable radio.
Opentx is one of the firmwares that the 9xr uses although it may be called something different like open9x, I can't remember exactly.
What I said above can be done on your tx with its original firmware.

What I meant by "From memory" was that I was working from my memory, I did not have a tx in my hands to double check.

Add a mix in your elevator channel below the current one. Don't copy, I think the term is "Insert below"
I am working with the Taranis which uses very similar firmware but I have set up several 9XRs.

Once you have a new mix, edit it with the following settings.
Source = MAX
Weight = -15 (or 15 depends which way is up, change this to suit the amount of elevator you want)
Curve = no
Trim = no
Dr/Expo = no
Sw = GEA
Multiplex = add

The firmware used on these has a bit of a learning curve but once you start to figure it out it is extremely capable.
Don't get discouraged, the only way to learn is have a go.
Maybe copy your whole model and work with the copy until you are happy with the changes.

Do you have a USB cable to plug your tx in to pc and use companion 9x?

Last edited:
I tried that last night and it didn't work. I will try it again as I may have done something wrong. I do not have the USB cable but I will order one.

OMG!!! It worked. I found my error and corrected it and it works fine now. The mistake I made was that for some stupid reason I put Elev in as the switch rather than Gear. Thanx STAMBO.

Stambo

OMG!!! It worked. I found my error and corrected it and it works fine now. The mistake I made was that for some stupid reason I put Elev in as the switch rather than Gear. Thanx STAMBO.

No problems mate.
This is what this site is all about.
I joined to get help, it's good to be able to give some back. :)

Now lets see if you can make it all happen slowly rather than instant. :)

Slow activation sounds interesting and might be something I will try a little later. I think I will try the 3 position switch next. Right now I am working on my Diamond 2500, 2.5M, powered Glider. I had it programed to my Spectrum 6i so that when I activated my gear switch it gave me about a 10% down flap which gave me a little more lift when I was in weak to moderate thermals. I programed my flap switch to give me about a 30% down flap and a 15% down elevator. Nice for slowing that big boy down on landing.

Using the information given to me by Stambo I was able to Mix the elevator with the flaps so that I got about 10% down elevator with and about 30% flaps when I activated the Gear Switch. My next endeavor was to have another switch to deploy about 10-15% down flaps to give a little extra lift on launch and thermaling. Using the same information, I went in to the flaps channel, (channel 6), and programed in an additional mix utilizing the Aileron Switch. Everything works great but I am sure that I will have fine tune it a bit. Thanks Slambo for putting me on the right tract.

Stambo

No worries mate.
As I said, that firmware has a bit of a learning curve but as you get to know how it works you start to find out just how powerful your radio can be.
There is also multiple ways of achieving the same thing, but that's a whole new story. :)

murankar

Staff member
Not to butt in but I am.

The 9xr uses a hobby king hack of the open9x firmware and the source code is guarded by hobby king. This act violates the EULA of open9x and because of this its not supported all that well on the opentx forum.

Anyhow open9x and er9x are basically the same thing. Er9x uses eepe on the PC and open9x uses open9x on the PC. Keep in mind that these two firmwares can not be mixed with the PC software. Er9x from my understanding only works with eepe and same goes with open9x.

That's the short of the long. You can find more info out on the web if your interested in the history of it.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Top Bottom