Other Turnigy 9x

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hello, having problems trying to figuring out if this radio is causing the headaches. My friend has this Turnigy 9x TX operating his HK 450/DFC. The heli has Yep 40a ESC and K-bar gyro. The problem is that he can fly pretty much a day just fine but once in a while the heli will do a complete neg pitch straight to the ground, for no reason. He thought it was a bad K-bar so got a new K-bar installed and the same thing happen. 6 or 7 batteries into the flight, BOOM, neg. pitch again. He tried another gyro. this time a Tarot ZYX V2 was installed and the same thing happen. The ESC is also new. The question is can the radio be one of the cause to this deli-ma? Any suggestion would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks for the help again!

Admiral

Does he fly any other models on this Tx? if not,I would be looking at the Tx. Has he changed the Satellite Rx and is it possible to set his heli up on another Tx?

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Does he fly any other models on this Tx? if not,I would be looking at the Tx. Has he changed the Satellite Rx and is it possible to set his heli up on another Tx?
Thanks Admiral. No, he doesn't have any other models on this TX. For setting up another TX, he can't do that either. The satellite, well i don't know if he change it or not. He's running out of ideas and to him, it seems like it's the TX. We are going flying again this coming weekend and he going to give his electronics another chance before he orders a new radio.

murankar

Staff member
First the thh9x does not use satillites unless he is using an orange RX for spectrum which would need the orange module for spectrum in the radio.

If he is using orange then I would have him swap it out for either the stock module or a frSky module.

In the 4 years I have used thus radio I never had that happen. Even after switching to er9x I have not had that problem.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
First the thh9x does not use satillites unless he is using an orange RX for spectrum which would need the orange module for spectrum in the radio.

If he is using orange then I would have him swap it out for either the stock module or a frSky module.

In the 4 years I have used thus radio I never had that happen. Even after switching to er9x I have not had that problem.

Thank you murankar. No he isn't using no orange RX. He has no clue nor do i about this situation. He's been wanting a new TX for awhile now and i think this is one way to get a new one. I was trying to save him money by suggesting that it isn't the TX. I guess he'll keep on doing some trial & error till this problem is solved. Thanks again murankar, by the way, how are you enjoying those KST servos for your Gaui?

murankar

Staff member
Its been negative double digits for the last few weeks. No air time since I got them, well I got two partial packs in for tail setup stuff. Mad some adjustments in the radio and still have not tried the new settings.

murankar

Staff member
He could be having brown outs or signal loss. Thus would cause the heli to go into fail safe, if this is the case then the fail safe is set with negative throttle.

Where is his antenna placed on his heli? If mist if the antenna is inside the airframe then that's more than likely the issue.

Since its intermittent I am leaning on signal loss while in certain orientations.

I don't blame him for wanting another radio. I want one myself but I need another year or so before that happens.

Admiral

He could be having brown outs or signal loss. Thus would cause the heli to go into fail safe, if this is the case then the fail safe is set with negative throttle.

Good call, I could not think of any reason why it would randomly go to negative pitch.

murankar

Staff member
One more thing, on the radio which direction dies his antenna point? If its not down I would try pointing it down via the hinge. If he is pointing it straight out or up there is another possibility that he could be hitting dead space in the signal.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thank you murankar & Admiral for your help. All i can due is present him your comment and see what he will do. I never seen that happen before, beside him. I just feel bad because it seem that every weekend he comes over to fly and he leaves with pieces in his hand. It seem to me like murankar said about brown out or signal loss. Back to the drawing board he has to go to, i guess. Either way guys ,thanks.

murankar

Staff member
Just look at his setup. If the RX antenna is not sticking out of the aire frame then tell him to fix that. If he gets a new radio and does the same setup then he may have the same problem.

BTW, I am not saying that this is the cause its just a suggestion. He may have other issues I am not aware of.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Just look at his setup. If the RX antenna is not sticking out of the aire frame then tell him to fix that. If he gets a new radio and does the same setup then he may have the same problem.

BTW, I am not saying that this is the cause its just a suggestion. He may have other issues I am not aware of.

If i do remember, he does have the RX antenna sticking out somewhere weird place. I do understand that this is a suggestion and he better appreciated it but he don't really have no where to start. Our guesses are getting him no where. It can't hurt to take in other outside suggestion that might work. Thanks again.

Stambo

And please, please, please do a proper range test at the flying site before you even think about flying again.

I know with my Taranis if I get a couple of hundred meters out in the direction my TX antenna is pointing I start getting RSSI warnings.
I just reorient the antenna and the problem disappears.
I can then go out way further with no issues.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
And please, please, please do a proper range test at the flying site before you even think about flying again.

I know with my Taranis if I get a couple of hundred meters out in the direction my TX antenna is pointing I start getting RSSI warnings.
I just reorient the antenna and the problem disappears.
I can then go out way further with no issues.

No, all of this is happening not even 30' away from the TX. He's just beginning to learn how to fly nose-in. He is not far at all.

Stambo

The idea of the range test is also to see if something in the area is interfering with the signal.
Try the range test with the heli and tx facing the same way as when the problem occurred.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
The idea of the range test is also to see if something in the area is interfering with the signal.
Try the range test with the heli and tx facing the same way as when the problem occurred.

Thanks Stambo and everyone that gave their input to solve this problem. After all the testing on RX, servos, esc, ant, range test, he came to the conclusion " Hope this works" it's the radio. He has a Tx on it's way from cali. It's coming by FED-X so he can be ready to fly by this weekend. I taught him how to fly nose in and now he's really hooked on flying. Further up date if this problem got solve after the weekend. Thanks everyone again for your advice. Very appreciated!

Top Bottom