Other Turnigy 9x 9Ch Transmitter

madrat

Does anyone have any advice on this tx and receiver,
Turnigy 9x 9Ch Transmitter
Turnigy RF9X-V2 module
Turnigy 9X8C-V2 8-channel receiver

Thanks

Keith

Yep I got three of em...? Probably the most versatile radio there is if you want to do the upgrades... I've installed 'er9X' firmware which is open-source and constantly being upgraded..
Has 16 model memory, 5 or 9 position curves, unlimited mixes and you can put any function on any stick, knob or switch... Just search RCGroups... Most users do not go back to their present radio after trying this radio.... They buy them as a cheap spare and find there better than what they are using....

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
I have thought about getting one just for the "Open Source" software that you can upload to them. I mean, for $60 you can't really go wrong with a 9ch Tx. If you get one, post up what mods you do to it. I know that if I get one, there won't be a piece on it that is not touched lol.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
yep tony does violate everything.. hahahah JK JK!! :) :)

but I am thinking about this radio too.. Just not sure about the quality ..

I know its good.. does it have a good ergonomic feel too? i mean 9ch.. 60 bucks.. its like... TAROT FBL.. just gotta do it.. but i AM CURIOUS! :)

Tony

Staff member
Dude, I have just spent the last couple of hours watching videos for this Tx, and I want one. Yes, it has it's problems, but there is so much you can do to it. The install of the plug, and the flashing of the firmware is straight forward, and anyone that can solder, can do this. I'm wondering what it would take to edit the firmware with custom code to put what you want on the screen. That is why I want one lol. Anyone willing to sell one cheap. And when I say cheap, I mean cheap cheap.

The first thing that will have to happen, is the case will have to be repainted. It looks cheap. You can get a backlight for this Tx for only $5. HOLY CRAP lol. The stock Tx is only a 7 model if I remember correctly, and the flashed version is 16 (6 more than the DX6i).

So yeah, I want one. Hobbyking is sold out of them, and hobbypartz is too expensive. So I want used. This has to be a new model that does NOT have the 72mhz antenna. Man the things I could do with this Tx... Hell I may even fly once or twice again lol

Tony

Staff member
Okay, after further research, I have found out that you can swap the modes a LOT easier than on the DX6i. All you have to do is swap over the spring and strap to put the throttle on the left (from mode 1 to 2), then you just go into the Tx and swap the mode from 1 to 2. You do NOT need to swap the pots over. So, you can order the mode 1 and very easily (like 5 minutes) have it setup as a mode 2 Tx. However, you will be waiting a while for shipping from HK. Total price with shipping from HK is $87. Hobbypartz is selling theirs for $89, and because it's over $50, you get free shipping. So, two weeks shipping vs 4 days for two bucks? I think I will order from HobbyPartz lol.

Of course, I won't be ordering anything anytime soon. But once I have a few more pennies in my name, this sucker is mine. And I plan to do more crap to this one than I have anything else. This is going to be sweet when it happens.

Keith

I got my last one from HK for $60 delivered to Australia on special ($38)... No need to solder to do firmwear upgrades just get a 'SMARTIEPARTS BOARD' ($40)... Fit it the same time as backlight... The smartieparts board comes with a backlight but it's not much good, bypass it and use the $5 HK one... I got all the backlights, green, blue and white... The white gives the best view... I flashed mine with ER9X and upgrades come every couple of days... It was revision 563 when I did my first, I just D/L r621, will flash it tomorrow... I recommend the 'EEPE' softwear for D/L ans flashing, works perfect every time....

I also fitted the DIY Frsky module... You will need to solder this... Gives you an easy range check by cutting power... Also gives you failsafe, just set sticks where you want them if signal lost and press button on Rx and it's set...The latest open source project is with the sounds, no more beeps, tunes and alarms... They reckon soon it will be talking to you... The code is freely available for all to add to or change... Find any probs and there's a webpage to post your problem and someone will fix it...

I do not know how the named brands are going to survive against this radio... You can bet prices will have to start falling soon... If it's on backorder at HK just order it and wait, that's the only way you will get one... Or look on ebay where I have one at a ridiculous inflated price... That's free trade for you...

Here's the link to wet your apetite... These guys have worked hard so a $10 donation would not go astray if you feel it will help you like it did me...

http://code.google.com/p/er9x/

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
ok you guys are making it sound very good.. Can i ask what upgrades are you getting from those software "flashes".. Again , is the range and feel of the radio comparable? I like if the radio is good from the inside, but it has to feel good in the hands, easy to operate on sticks and all.. appreciate your review on this Keith.. :)

Tony

Staff member
Gravy, it's on backorder. And has been for a long time. I will almost bet money that when it comes in stock, it will be the same price as the others.

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
I'll throw in my two cents. So far I have found about 4 different brands of this transmitter, The FlySky, Eurgle, Turnigy, and Imax. Their electronics are all based the same inside. The differences are the style of case and the firmware. You can flash the firmware to any version you can find but you have to be careful and not brick it. If you brick it there is no return you may as well throw it in the trash.

When I purchased mine I intentionally purchased the Turnigy 9x V2 because of the firmware, the ergonomics, and the functionality. I could have flashed it but didn't because there was really no need for what I use it for. Sure, there are flashes out there that make the display more purdy and there are some that increase the number of model storage. I think I even read one some where that you could solder and micro sdhd usb port to the board and increase the storage capacity.

The bottom line is if you don't' know what you are doing then don't attempt to burn a new image to the rom. The Turnigy 9x functions really well out of the box and the range is really good for up to about 100 yards which is the American football field.

Here you will find a technical writeup from a reliable source. Turnigy/FlySky/Imax/Eurgle Writeup.

Hope This Helps
Tommy

Last edited:

madrat

Wow, got behind on the posts, or just didn't see them, so just read what everyone had to say about the Turnigy9x. I was ready to buy one the other day, but when I went to I saw that HK had them on BO, and they had like 9 a few days before. Thanks for all the info on it though, will be waiting for HK to restock. When I do get it, I may be asking for help setting it up though :)

Top Bottom