General Truck Stand

bigone5500

I bought this truck stand and was hoping it would work well. The Tmaxx 2.5 doesn't sit stay on it very well. I will be returning it and building my own.

20180609_212930.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Quite honestly, for those large trucks, I use a 4x4 block. Works great and is usually free. But yea, those are just not made for the large trucks like the T-Maxx unfortunately.

bigone5500

I think I'll go with the 4x4 block too. It's quite heavy but the weight will aid in keeping it still. I might rig something up to let it swivel.

Tony

Staff member
2 4x4 blocks with a 1" PVC schedule 40 pipe in the middle is what I did. Drill it slightly oversized and go about 3/4 the way through it. Works great!

bigone5500

I'll have to turn the rod down on the ends and find a bearing so it will swivel easy on the top plate.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, I think a standard skate board bearing would do good on that one. Don't really have to think about a thrust bearing since you are not really dealing with that much weight.

bigone5500

The top plate will be cut down considerably so it will fit the underside of the Tmaxx. I will have to do more measurements but I think I can machine the plate to fit both the 2.5 and 3.3 and it be stable. I plan to have the full thickness of the plate as it is and mill out a slot so the chassis braces fit. I'll find some rubber that will give it 'stickiness' and glue it down. As of now, the projected size of the top plate is 3 x 4 with a 2 1/2" slot. The slot should be about 1/2" deep. This way I won't have to worry about the angle of the braces and deal with slipping back and forth which was the major problem with the one above.

This material is from a condensate drain for a large air compressor. I've had these pieces for quite some time and knew I'd find a good use for them. I really wish I had an anodizing machine. Bright blue with a candy apple red top would be awesome!

bigone5500

I found a bearing to use. The OD is perfect. I will have to turn down one end to fit inside the inner race of the bearing and either find a shim or machine a shoulder to keep the outer race from rubbing on the shaft.

Tony

Staff member
You could always turn the shaft in the lathe and leave a few thou in the center that is a little higher. It would be like putting a shim in there except it can never be removed or forgotten.

Top Bottom