Batteries Trouble with EC5 connectors

Derek

Ive never had this problem before. Im trying to put EC5 connectors on my build but, for the past 2 hours, ive been fighting to get the brass bits into the blue plug. Ive really about had enough. Ive heated them up, over and over, but they just wont press in to the blue plug.

So, im thinking about just moving on and putting heat shrink on the brass bits and just use them as bullet connectors. This should still work properly, right?

Tony

Staff member
I can't remember what plug it was, but I think it was the EC5's that you put in from the front now. I'm not 100% on this, but there is something out there that you install from the front. Might be worth looking into.

Derek

Well Tony...you were right! I have installed EC5 connectors before but none of them were installed by pulling them into the blue plug....but....these were that way. So....did a bit of unsoldering, slid the plug on, resoldered brass bits, pulled the bits into the plug.

Even looking at them, now, i can see that the brass bits are kinda pointed at the one end...to be pulled into the plug. So, i learned something new.

Thanks very much, Tony!

Tony

Staff member
My pleasure. Just glad you didn't break them. They should come with a small warning or something showing direction molded into them lol.

Dennis H

Well, some pull through, and some push through.

On the ones that pull through, I take a drill bit and drill it in a 2x4 about 1/2 way, I put the female connector over the drill bit, they take needle nose pliers, open them up just to fit around the wire at the connector. I don't put any pressure on the pliers, I take a small hammer and just give it a nice hit, NOT hard, just enough to get it over the bullet connect rim.

Works perfect everytime.

On the ones that push through, after soldering, I put the male part in the blue connector until it hits the inside rim. I take a 3mm flat screwdriver, or the tool Progressive makes, put it on the rim on the freshly connector, rest on the 2x4, then give it a hit JUST enough to push the connector past the ring inside the blue connector.

NOTE: They both work better if you heat up the connector first with a butane solder torch. It's quick and will heat them up in 5 seconds. Then usually just one little pop,and you will hear it pop right over the ridge.

If you hit it to hard, it WILL go past the ring, try it a couple of times so you don't waste a connector. Hit lightly, then a little more, then you will have the right stroke to achieve your job.

I am going to make a You Tube Video of it and post it. This method works perfect for me everytime.

Dennis

Derek

Hi Dennis! I did get my connectors together with little effort. However, if you do make a video, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. No such thing as "too much info."

Dennis H

Here is a YouTube for the Female EC5 connector I just found. I did know it was out there. I am going to find one for the make in a few minutes. I can't believe they didn't recommend using a little heat and you can use 1/4 of the force. Just let it cool for 5 minutes before using.

I will use needle nose so I will have equal force on both sides of the connector. Plus give you a better hitting surface to aim and use.

Tony

Staff member
Did anyone else notice that he didn't plug it in all the way.... Looked like he had a little block in there.

Dennis H

Here is one for the Male connector. I like the most part of it, plus he does recommend heat. Believe me, it makes it 5 times faster and easier. But take a look at these, and if you have any other trouble with EC5 connectors, well guys, it's your fault. JMO

Her is the Video:

Dennis H

Did anyone else notice that he didn't plug it in all the way.... Looked like he had a little block in there.

Tony, what time did you see this part. I watched several of these over the last few months and then just came up with my own process. It works great. I am still going to take time and make the video as I feel my method is a lot faster.

Anyway, I might make several using XT60's & 90's, EC3 & 5's, plus to XT 150 connectors.

FLUX is you best friend, this is what I am going to show everyone who hates soldering. They will love it after watching an easy way of doing it.

Coming soon to this theater, Dennis

Dennis H

LAST VIDEO: I just rand across this video, it's in GERMAN, but "video languages" is the international language. Just watch and you will see what he is doing. I could probably take his video and Dub it,but it wouldn't be fair to him, plus I don't want to break any laws.

WHAT'S great about this video is he uses EC5 connectors, and XT60 connectors, the two most commonly used in our hobby. Plus this method will work with about all likewise connectors. It would also work with XT90 connectors which I use in my 1/4 Scale MD500. Well I use about all connectors, even Anderson Type solderless connectors that work great. You can even solder these connectors, and I swear they might be some of the toughest best connectors to use in certain areas.

Two things, I would use butane torch heat in some areas as it's 5 times faster, and I would use needle nose pliers a little more. I believe my fingers wouldn't get as hot as his were! Also, Flux is you best friend, BUT it must be cleaned off after soldering the connector. Just have Acetone, Lacquer Thinner, or rubbing Alcohol handy. Keep in small containers just to dip the wires in and clean off with a cotton cloth. Remember to heed all "FIRE" hazards which should be minimal for the products I listed. I use them in my career for over 40 years without one fire whatsoever, but there is always a first time. Just use common sense. I have seen the same chemicals use in other videos by professional teachers, so again, use common sense.

Take a look at this video, if you have questions, I believe I can answer most anything thrown at me. Plus I feel several others will feel the same way.

I hope this helps many out there with their soldering. It definetly helped me.

Good Luck, practice safety, Dennis

Derek

Hey guys, i just wanted to say Thanks for your help on this topic. I didnt notice that some of my connectors get pulled in to the blue plug and some get pushed in. I just needed to pay attention to which ones i was grabbing from my box. Since getting your help, ive had to do 4 more pairs of connectors and each set went very smoothly.

So....thanks again!

Tony

Staff member
Awesome. I know why they did it, but I sure wish they would mark the case with an arrow or something lol.

Derek

Hey Tony...I just wanted to take a minute and say "Thanks again" for your help on this topic. It's amazing some of the small details that we overlook. I think I mentioned before that I didn't even know that EC5 connectors came in two different styles (one pull, one push). I've recently done several more EC5 connectors and each one went as smooth as it should. I just had to take note of which way the connector was slanted.

So anyway...I appreciate your help! It's made me more aware and it's made life easier!

Top Bottom