Tri Tricopter shopping list

Derek

I was thinking about a quadcopter but I just have a real interest in the looks of a tricopter. So, I'm working on a shopping list of parts for a decent "starter" tricopter. Below is a list of parts that I'm thinking about...unless someone has better suggestions.

scratch built "Y" tricopter frame (I like the looks of the "Y" tricopter)
KK2 flight control board (either from HK or Buddyrc, depends on who has it in stock)
3 - DT750 bell style motors
3 - 20 amp Afro esc's (with the SimonK firmware)
Spektrum AR600 rx

As always, I appreciate constructive suggestions.

SIXFOOTER

Sounds like a viable recipe. Are you familiar with the KK2?
Takes some setup to get the parameters for the motor distances and angles to get the thing to work right. Not hard at least on the videos I have seen.

Lee

Why don't you try a Y6. Get rid of the need for a yaw mechanism.
If you need a set of Afro 20 ESCs SK, I have some.

Derek

Sounds like a viable recipe. Are you familiar with the KK2?
Takes some setup to get the parameters for the motor distances and angles to get the thing to work right. Not hard at least on the videos I have seen.

No, I am not familiar with the KK2 board. This project will be my first multi rotor.

Why don't you try a Y6. Get rid of the need for a yaw mechanism.
If you need a set of Afro 20 ESCs SK, I have some.

I'd like a Y6! I think it's pretty cool! I've seen videos on Youtube but I've wanted to play around with a tricopter. There is just something about the "look" of a tricopter that I think is cool!

Lee

No its not necessary. You can just solder all the + and - wires together.

Lanman

The Afro ESCs have a habit of not working well with high pole count motors. Never could get mine to work right. Ended up replacing the DT750s with different 12 pole motors and it stopped falling out of the sky. Just wanted you to be aware.

Derek

The Afro ESCs have a habit of not working well with high pole count motors. Never could get mine to work right. Ended up replacing the DT750s with different 12 pole motors and it stopped falling out of the sky. Just wanted you to be aware.

I appreciate the "heads up". I hadn't heard about that. Perhaps I should look for different motors. I was just looking at the DT750's because I've heard good things about the amout of thrust they put out.

Lanman

The DT750s are nice in that regard. Very torquey motors with a good punch. I swapped them for 800KV NTM Prop Drive motors which are nice but they don't have the same punch. My tricopter flies great with those motors and the Afro ESCs so I'm happy. Your other option is to use different ESCs like the HK blue series or the F series and keep the DT750s. Either way you go you really should flash any ESC you choose with the latest SimonK firmware.

Lee

I appreciate the "heads up". I hadn't heard about that. Perhaps I should look for different motors. I was just looking at the DT750's because I've heard good things about the amout of thrust they put out.

It what was happening to my QAV for the last few months. It has been discussed by a few of us on here over the last year.
I changed to the Lumineir ESCs and all was good.
The Afro ESC as said, only work with low pole count motors.

Derek

That sounds like a good option. Thank guys! I was really hoping to use the DT750's.

Where would I look for the latest SimonK firmware?

Last edited:

Lanman

When you download the kkflashtool from lazyzero.de it will download the firmware automatically when you select it from the drop down list. It's very important that you select the right firmware for your ESC or you will brick it. You'll have to do some research. I'm not sure if the Lumineir ESCs can be updated or if they need to be updated. Maybe Lee will know the answer to that.

Lee

There are a lot of ESCs that are ready flashed Derek. Just look for "Simon K" flashed ESCs.

Top Bottom