General TRex 600ESP forward flight & radio set up

hoverinabout

He folks, first question!

Im finding the TRex 600ESP is off like a rocket in forward flight with very little forward stick movement. I've whacked in about 40% expo on the elevator but this doesnt make much difference. Im moving the stick about two clicks and the heli is off in quick forward flight so Im finding it difficult to control.

I've also tried changing the swash mix setting on the elevator. This was set at positive 60%. I've changed this to about 50% and 70% but still, this does not change the amount of stick movement before the heli is moving quicker than Id want in forward flight.

Any suggestions how to cure this? I want to aim for something like 4 or 5 clicks ie stick movement halfway between mid stick to top stick for a nice controlled forward momentum.

Ive been hovering the TRex 600ESP for a number of weeks now. I can fly sideways but even this is rapid. Its an out of the box standard build. Throttle setting is a linear 75, 75, 75, 75 and pitch is -2, 0, 5, 8 degrees. Motor is the Align 600, standard Align gearing with the 14 tooth motor pinion.

stokke

I'm guessing this is a Flybarred heli? If so I'd set some low D/R values on the elevator and aileron.

If this is a FBL you may want to look at the setup.

Last edited:

hoverinabout

Hi sorry, yes its a flybarred heli.

I've checked the head, linkages and swash through the range of movement and the swash is level. But I have to use a bit of trim depending on the wind to keep it fairly stable. There's no auto pilot of gps fitted so itll only hover hands off for a few seconds.

There's no forward trim fed in. I like to have a little back trim. The issue I have is that very slight forward movement of the stick sends the heli off faster than I'd like but I cant seem to find any setting in the radio that does this. I can introduce more \ less expo or turn down \ up the ATV but the amout of stick movement in relation to forward speed remains unchanged.

Tony

Staff member
You never mentioned anything about Dual Rates. I would drop your cyclic dual rate down to about 65 and set about +35% expo. That should tame it down.

hoverinabout

The problem is your throttle curve, Bit fierce at 75 flat:)

Try 0, 43, 45, 50, 75, 100:)

Hmmm. Sorry I disagree. Keep your throttle constant and "fly the pitch" gives a far better flying experiance. I've tried both and I know which I prefer.

You never mentioned anything about Dual Rates. I would drop your cyclic dual rate down to about 65 and set about +35% expo. That should tame it down.

Yes, sorry I did miss that. DR is set to 60% on aileron and Elevator. There's no cyclic DR on the XG8 from what I can see. I whacked up expo to about 45% on both aileron and elevator and this has made a little difference making it a bit easier to control forward speed.

Lee

Leave the swash mix equal between Aile and Elev or it will get confusing.
DR/Expo is the key. Just add Expo and reduce DR until you have it feeling the way you like it.
Aile and Elev DR are the Cyclic DR, or did you mean no Collective DR in the XG8?
Good luck

Graham Lawrie

I miss read the thread:) I thought you were on about the speed of the craft not the TX:) as several have said, DR/Expo is the way to go:) I have IU at straight 85:)

hoverinabout

Leave the swash mix equal between Aile and Elev or it will get confusing.
DR/Expo is the key. Just add Expo and reduce DR until you have it feeling the way you like it.
Aile and Elev DR are the Cyclic DR, or did you mean no Collective DR in the XG8?
Good luck

Ah, sorry, didnt twig about cyclic. There is Aileron and Elevator (and Pitch) dual rate on the XG8, just didnt follow. Yes, I'll give your suggestion a go. I've increased expo already so will turn down the dual rate a little more. Unfortunately its windier today so if I do get out, its only going to be hovering about.

I miss read the thread:) I thought you were on about the speed of the craft not the TX:) as several have said, DR/Expo is the way to go:) I have IU at straight 85:)

No problem. I started off with a throttle setting similar to the one you mentioned but found raising the lowering the stick had the heli going up and down as quickly. I read on another forum about a constant throttle setting and flying the pitch and since them, things have been a lot smoother. I might change to a constant 80% once I've tame the TRex in forward flight a bit more.

murankar

Staff member
A flat curve in normal flight wont be ideal. Flat curves for iu1 and iu2 will be fine. Some ESCs wont arm if they don't see zero throttle. The closest linier curve you can do for normal flight mode is 0 40 70 70 70 or what ever last three numbers you want for your target head speed. This will allow your ESC to arm and give a nice ramp up to target head speed with a constant even throttle in your head speed range.

What i have seen is a linier pitch curve of 0 25 50 75 100 for normal flight mode with a linier throttle curve of the same values.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Top Bottom