600 Trex 550L Dominator

callsign4223

Staff member
Ok, I have been without anything larger than a 450 for almost a year now. I have decided I want to go with the 550L dominator. This is going to be a graduation present for me so I will be purchasing it around May. There is a build your own combo deal on ebay. I already have a ar7200bx so I don't need a gyro, but there is a choice on the ESC. I can get a Castle Talon 90 or a Hobbywing Platinum 100 v3. It is an extra $10 for the Hobbywing ESC. Which one should I get?

Here are the specs for the rest of the combo.

T-REX 550L DOMINATOR Kits Set x 1 set
●550 Carbon Fiber Blades x 1 set
●90mm Carbon Fiber Tail Blade x 1 set
●730MX Brushless Motor(850KV) x 1
●BL815H High Voltage Brushless servo x 3
●BL855H High Voltage Brushless servo x 1

With the castle it is 830, with the hobbywing it is 840. Do these seem like good deals?

Derek

This is an awesome helicopter! My friend has one and it has MASSIVE POWER!!! Just an amazing helicopter and it's sexy, too.

As for the ESC, the Talon 90 use to have a reputation of catching on fire. I think I read an article, a while ago, saying that Castle has looked into the Talon 90 and made changes. Supposedly the issue had been resolved. The Hobbywing 100 is suppose to be a pretty impressive esc. I don't know much about them.

If this were my helicopter, I'd go with the Talon 90...simply because I like the Castle programming on my laptop via the Castle Link.

I wish you the best in your schooling and I think this will be a fantastic graduation present! Hell yes!!!

Tony

Staff member
I as well would go with the castle. And when you are ready to order it, see if someone has a coupon code so you don't have to wait for your link.

bbj

I just finished building my 550L dominator but still doing the swash settings using an iKon instead of the Gpro. The Castle Talon 90 that this heli uses came with a coupon in the literature for a free Castle link. All I had to do was go to Castle, order the link using the coupon and they explain how to use the coupon so you don't need to use a credit card to do the ordering and they ship it to you free as well. I did this 2 days ago and now waiting for the Castle link to arrive so I can program my Talon 90. By the was the build went extremely easy, I did use the videos that Jeff Fassbinder did. He has 3 vids on the build and the 4th finishing the build with the electronics. Another feature I liked about this model is the battery tray which is similar to the larger models, for ease of securing a fresh battery per flight. Also the frame has holes to route your wires into the interior of the frame and zip tie holes strategically places to help with securing them. I will be posting pics soon to show the build and a finished model.

callsign4223

Staff member
Heck no, I'm building this sucker up on my kitchen table. BTW, there are a ton of build videos on this thing, including an excellent one by Align. Instead of a step by step build I was thinking we do a time lapse instead. Easier to setup and no talking needed.

Top Bottom