600 Trex 550E

Eggy 71

I see a Trex 550e for sale in my neck of the woods. What's the availability of parts for these older models. It looks like a good price but if parts are not around anymore it's not worth just looking pretty on the shelf.

Tony

Staff member
There are parts still available for the SE V2, so I would assume it would be the same for the 550e. However, I have no idea how it would be for BC if you don't want to have it shipped from the states.

Eggy 71

All our parts come out of the US anyway. I get the majority of stuff online. Do you remember the difference between a 550e & 550 eV2. I'm guessing the 550 dfc was just the different head setup?

Tony

Staff member
That one I can't answer. IMO, the best thing to do is go to the different sites and type in what you are looking for. Then search for the parts that are most used.

Eggy 71

I've been snooping around on the internet. Seems there aren't a lot of original parts made anymore. I'm a little leary on replacement parts. It's got a 600 mx motor. Will a 730mx fit in its place as that's what is available? Same with servos old ds610 and new are ds820. I haven't seen it yet but supposedly comes with lots of spare parts. Still a 6+ year old model might be difficult to keep running. About 1/3 price of a new 550x

Smoggie

Most if not all parts are still easily available. The majority of parts are actually interchangeable or up gradable with newer model 550 parts. The DS610 servos aren't available any more but the gear sets are : DS610 Servo Gear Set HSP61031 and the servos are quite common second hand on the likes of ebay in the unlikely event that something other than the gears broke.

heli-maniac

The 730mx will fit after a easy frame mod.
One of the biggest changes done from the 550e to the 550v2 was the gearing . all parts will inter change.
The 550e was a fly bar Helicopter and the V2 is was the change over to fly bar less.
If it hasnt been updated to the newer v2 or dfc parts than that will be good place to start.
The 610 servos are really good servos unless your a mad 3D pilot .
The tail servo you would want to update to at least the 655.
I have had my 550 V2 for 5 years now and I still love flying it.
I just picked up over 300 dollars worth of new spare parts for it for 90 bucks . Ill be flying it till I cant fly anymore.

Eggy 71

Thanks for the info. I might go take a look at it. I looks like it's in great shape from the pics and appears to have a ton of spare parts. Just throwing it out there to see if Anything that sends up a red flag shows up.

Tony

Staff member
Steve just brought up a very good point. You can update this helicopter to the DFC version or whatever. That is exactly what I did with the 600 Nitro. I took it from the 600 ESP to the 600 DFC with all new parts. And if you keep your eyes open on ebay, you can find great deals on these parts. You may even find someone that crashed their dominator, completely destroying everything but the frame and boom, you have a 550 dom quite cheap just by swapping parts. Not ideal, but it can be done.

Eggy 71

Trex 550.jpg
Well I decided to add another heli to the fleet. Couldn't pass it up. Its a good size jump from the 450L. I'm guessing it's a V2 FBL that had the 3GX updated with a Microbeast. It came with 4 canopies and 3 batteries and a ton of spare parts. The only thing that I'm having trouble looking up is it has straight gears. I've looked up old manuals and everything right back to the flybar models all show the slanted gears. It even came with 5 different pinnions (slanted and straight) so i'm assuming he first owner changed them for some reason. The first thing I need to do is check the gearing and figure out what he was running for a head speed. I have 4 different main gears available as well so many combinations might be available. What would be a good headspeed to start out with and are there any pros/cons to be aware of in using straight or slant gears?

heli-maniac

The slant gear is the newer gearing for the heli Helps it alot . I would change it to slant if it dose not have it you will also have to change the tail drive gears to match the gearing .
The strait cut main gear is the first gearing and I dont think they even make it now
good starting head speed is 2100 they dont like anything under 2000 . I fly mine in 2200 and 2400
I just put in a new HW 100amp esc and still messing around with it . It dose not seem to have the power that it had with the yep 100amp esc

I have a 550E V2 and I have had no problems finding parts.. my question is trying to stretch the boom to a 600 to accept a scale fuselage. The boom size for the 550 e V2 is 20.3mm x 21.5 x 549. The boom size for the 600 is 20 mm x 21.5 x 625 MM.

Does anybody know what the first number represents?

Tony

Staff member
My guess would be inside diameter of the tube. Do you have a set of calipers you can use to measure your boom?

The standard align 600 boom fits straight in. My 550e pro dfc came with 600 head, boom and tail etc as standard. Last one before 550L Dominator

Tony

Staff member
Even the 550 Dominator has the same head. They just removed the markings from the 600. I have the 600 nitro and 550 dom sitting side by side, and they are identical. Same for the tail blocks as well.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, they are. In fact, everything on the 600 nitro came from a 550. And that is cool about the motor. Hopefully not the Hippo though lol.

Top Bottom