600 Trex 550E DFC V3 Electronics Help.

Bruno

New build with the AR7200BX. Castle BEC PRO, Talon 90 ESC & Stock servos.

I am personally a bit anxious to connect the electronics and configure their communication. I do not have experience with the BeastX although I have read it is easy to initialize. I have used the 3GX. I did not notice at first glance that the BX has a button/light type of setup like the 3GX. I have not used a bec either but that seems straight forward as well.

I must admit I have yet to look at either manual for the BX and BEC.

Any words of support, encouragement and suggestions/recommendations are welcome.

I have successfully built two Trex 450s with either the 3GX, GP790 & AR6210 RECEIVER.
I am using the DX6i with all my birds (5) including the 550.

I consider myself a newbie and do simple sport flying with a burning aspiration for more aggressive and 3D flight.

I do practice on the Phoenix Sim.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
The setup of the BX is not going to be a problem. There are two levels of settings on the Bx, and the most important thing is to know what one you are in. The instructions are pretty cut-n-dry as to how to do the setup, so you shouldn't have a problem.

As for the BEC, It's as simple as wiring it into your battery wires, then plugging it into your batt port on the Rx. Simple as that. Again, the instructions should explain this in detail.

Bruno

I know I am possibly being conservative with using the external BEC. I did read other posts with similar recommendations. Seems there are different amp BECs for specific uses. I am Nieve at this point as to what this means. That is, 5.5 volts or 6 volt use. Maybe someone can enlighten me as to their preference.

I have disconnected the red ESC wire. I like the suggestion about using an extension with the red wire removed but I don't have an extension at this time.

I installed a ferrite ring on the ESC/RX leads. Seems some use this conservative measure.

Once I am thoroughly familiar with the BX initialization & setup after reading the manual. I think I am going to bind my dx6i to the bx and connect the electronics on the bench today and at last confirm the communication between electronics/servos. According to the forum posts, the bx manual and set up is straight forward. I apologize for this lengthy dialogue but this is the one part of the build that sparks some fear in me so I wanna move slow and careful.

I welcome any and all experience and knowledge based suggestions. Thanks.

Bruno

I was reviewing the MB manual and thought it would benefit me to know in advance if I am expected to subtrim the servos to 90 degrees prior to fbl set up through the DX6i transmitter (this is what I have done with the gp90 and 3gx gyros) or will this be done through the BeastX instead as I complete the setup process?

Bruno

BeastX Servo 90?

I Is it advisable to electronically 90 the servos with the BX before they are installed?

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Re: BeastX Servo 90?

When you enter step G, before you touch any sticks on the TX, the AR7200 puts all servos at their center pulse position. This is where you will 90 your servo horns

- - - Updated - - -

And I would suggest doing that AFTER they are installed in the heli^^

- - - Updated - - -

Oops sorry, except for the tail servo, that one you have to 90 before you install it but you probably already figured that out

Bruno

I am working on initializing the BX on the work bench. I am following the MB manual. Seems I successfully bound the BX to my DX6i. In other words, the BX cycles as it should through the light sequence. I do not have the servos connected. I connected the motor after binding the BX. I turned on my radio and then powered up the BX. Cycled as it should however the motor would not respond to radio throttle up. Do I need to complete the initialization of the BX for the motor to respond or should I have bound the BX with the motor connected?

I have an external BEC connected and the red wire disconnected from the ESC. The ESC is connected to the throttle port. The ESC tones and gives 6 beeps confirming a 6 cell battery. However, I can't seem to get the ESC to power up the motor. The ESC has a constant blinking orange light. I followed the Talon 90 manual's instruction to 1) turn on transmitter to mid throttle. 2) disconnect the red wire while using the external BEC. I have the two external Castle BEC Connectors connected to AUX2 and AUX3 with the black wire down/bottom of Rx. 3) I move the throttle all the way down to 0. Motor does not arm. Any ideas? The BX seems to go through the initialization as indicated in the manual.

Whattyathnk??

pvolcko

May also have to set ESC endpoints. What ESC? And is the beastX the same as a 7200bx in that you have to give it 0 throttle to initialize it, which means having to play some games to set endpoints on the ESC?

Bruno

May also have to set ESC endpoints. What ESC? And is the beastX the same as a 7200bx in that you have to give it 0 throttle to initialize it, which means having to play some games to set endpoints on the ESC?

I have a Spektrum DX6i Tx and AR7200BX Rx, Castle Talon 90 ESC & External castle BEC PRO (20 amp). I do not know how to effectively set the end points for this system. Please help if possible. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

the ESC is not seeing a 0 THr. input You will have to trim down the THR. on the tx to get it to arm

Do you know how this done with the radio (DX6i)?

Tony

Staff member
turn your Tx on and raise the throttle all the way up to full throttle. Plug in the battery on the helicopter. When you hear the ESC go into program mode, lower the stick (should be the first two beeps I think) and you will have set the end points in the ESC to the Tx. No need to lower the throttle trim all the way down.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Travel adjustment screen decrease the throttle percentage

Castle esc is set in its ways to want to see low throttle . But do what tony said .. Calibrate the high first and the esc might auto adjust for low

Tony

Staff member
It should auto adjust for low. I have not found one yet that doesn't. Last ones that I had to independently adjust high, and low was back in the day of brushed motors on ground pounders.

flysolo

Talon 90 does not auto adjust for low, you have to set both. And just putting the stick in high is not enough, you put it in high and then change the throttle travel until the esc is happy with the max(special beep). Then you do the same for low. On my Dx8 I have throttle travel from 116% to 109%

Without the 116% in travel my esc will never receve a 0-throttle signal and will never arm.

- - - Updated - - -

I should add that it's possible to change this in the esc software, for example you can select to set the endpoints every time the esc powers on by putting the stick in max then back to low. In that mode it's more of auto calibration of course!

Bruno

Talon 90 does not auto adjust for low, you have to set both. And just putting the stick in high is not enough, you put it in high and then change the throttle travel until the esc is happy with the max(special beep). Then you do the same for low. On my Dx8 I have throttle travel from 116% to 109%

Without the 116% in travel my esc will never receve a 0-throttle signal and will never arm.

- - - Updated - - -

I should add that it's possible to change this in the esc software, for example you can select to set the endpoints every time the esc powers on by putting the stick in max then back to low. In that mode it's more of auto calibration of course!

I tried your procedure as indicated and it worked. However, with throttle up and travel adjustment maxed at 125% I got no tone. I then moved the throttle all the way down and adjusted it to 109% and got the tone and the ESC initialized. I am just not confident as to how to think about how this may effect any other adjustments or flight characteristics. All my other Helis are at 100% in the travel adjust screen. Therefore, I am not familiar with the intended function of these adjustments. Are you (is anyone) able to enlighten me?

- - - Updated - - -

I found this: http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=408628

Post#6

To set endpoints:- TX on, set throttle ATV 100/100, and linear normal thottle curve, power up AR7200BX from BEC or flight pack (not ESC which needs to stay off), wait for AR7200BX to initialise, move throttle to low stick (so AR7200BX starts outputting throttle signal)- reduce throttle ATVs to 50/50, move throttle to full stick only now can you power up ESC, then you can set endpoints as normal (full throttle at ESC power up, then gradually increase throttle high ATV until ESC beeps, then drop to low throttle, gradually increase throttle low ATV until ESC beeps again, power off ESC and your done).

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

flysolo

I tried your procedure as indicated and it worked. However, with throttle up and travel adjustment maxed at 125% I got no tone. I then moved the throttle all the way down and adjusted it to 109% and got the tone and the ESC initialized. I am just not confident as to how to think about how this may effect any other adjustments or flight characteristics. All my other Helis are at 100% in the travel adjust screen. Therefore, I am not familiar with the intended function of these adjustments. Are you (is anyone) able to enlighten me?

- - - Updated - - -

I found this: AR7200BX/ICE2 HV80 Throttle Issue - HeliFreak

Post#6

To set endpoints:- TX on, set throttle ATV 100/100, and linear normal thottle curve, power up AR7200BX from BEC or flight pack (not ESC which needs to stay off), wait for AR7200BX to initialise, move throttle to low stick (so AR7200BX starts outputting throttle signal)- reduce throttle ATVs to 50/50, move throttle to full stick only now can you power up ESC, then you can set endpoints as normal (full throttle at ESC power up, then gradually increase throttle high ATV until ESC beeps, then drop to low throttle, gradually increase throttle low ATV until ESC beeps again, power off ESC and your done).

Any thoughts?

What was the value when you started to increase the max throttle? 100%? Sorry, but i left the part out where you first put them low and then start to increase. It may be that your esc max will be at 99%. Not sure if you need that extra step(from helifreak) to get it to work with the beastx but apart from that it's the same method I described.

I'm not sure about this so someone correct me if i'm wrong but i think that by doing it this way you adjust the tx throttle output to proportionally match the esc throttle. The other way around will adjust esc throttle to tx signal.

Bruno

What was the value when you started to increase the max throttle? 100%? Sorry, but i left the part out where you first put them low and then start to increase. It may be that your esc max will be at 99%. Not sure if you need that extra step(from helifreak) to get it to work with the beastx but apart from that it's the same method I described.

I'm not sure about this so someone correct me if i'm wrong but i think that by doing it this way you adjust the tx throttle output to proportionally match the esc throttle. The other way around will adjust esc throttle to tx signal.

I started at 0% throttle (upper and lower limit). The BeastX was/is connected within the system during all of my adjustments.

Top Bottom