500 TRex 500

The question I have pertains to the swashplate. It seems to have some slop between the upper and lower pieces. Even a new one has slop. Is there a way to tighten the bearing assembly, or can someone recommend on the is compatible that doesn't have any issues.

Tony

Staff member
How much slop are we talking about? There has to be a little play otherwise it would be very tight. If we are talking about 1-2 thousandths, then it's fine.

How much slop are we talking about? There has to be a little play otherwise it would be very tight. If we are talking about 1-2 thousandths, then it's fine.

well as far as a true measurement , I couldn't say. Lets just say there is enough to travel the [ slop ] up the arms to the fly bar. Don't get me wrong, the thing flies like a champ. I'm just always tinkering with stuff. Another thing that bothers me , the slop in the main gear and the main shaft. Does it need to be there before I mill it out and fit a small bolt of exact fit into it, to eliminate the backlash.

trainrider06

They have shims you can install for the slop and up and down movement of the main gear, usually one shim on top of the main bearing where the shaft goes in fixes it. I have a 500 also and I gotta check out my swash have never noticed any big slop in it, gotta look at that! Oh also there is a shim that goes on top of the main gear, if you don't have that installed it'll really bump up and down!

Derek

I have a flybarred Trex 500. I remember there being a bit of slop in the head. I could hold the skids and pull up on the head and it would move up and down a bit. In my "extra parts" bag, there were a few shims....very very thin washers. After putting one of those in place, the slop was much much less and I've been flying it ever since with the shim in place.

I'd suggest trying to find one of these little shims and put it in place. The, on the bench, just pull up and down on the head to see if the slop is better or the same. If it's better...take it out for a bit of a hover and see what you think.

Top Bottom