500 Trex 500 Opinions

Dennis H

What is your opinion between the TRex 500, the 600, and the 700?

I have all three and use Skookums on all three.

The TRex 600 and 700 fly great. The 600 has a scale body, the 700 is stock.

Both the 600 and 700 fly great with the Skookum 720, Black Editions.

I just put a scale body on my TRex 500 with a Skookum, and there is a mass difference with this Heli. My biggest problem is the tail rotor will not keep the Heli straight unless I hold about 1/2 right on the transmitter. I have set up over 10 Skookum with no issues.

I lowered the RPM's to 1,800. The tail rotor rod is not binding or giving, it's actually working. I see it moving and while on the ground (full throttle), it's definetly blowing hard. It's like the blades are not big enough, or the gearing is wrong. I have tried setting through the Skookum, and manually. No Help.

I was looking forward to the 500 as I wanted a smaller Heli to practice with. I tried a 450, but vibration issues stopped me. I was advised to get a current Gyro, ICON, 3SX, even a MicroBeast, this is just for the 450's. Skookum vibrations issues are common. I have never had a problem with the 600 & 700, infact several times the Skookum didn't require "any" adjustments during its first flight.

Any ideas?

I know Skookum is just about History, I still like them, I don't like the vibration issues, I was told the Bavarian 3sx would not have any vibration issues as well as ICON's.

I really don't want to swap to a different Gyro, but if it's inevitable, I need to make a chocie as to which one I use.

The Skookum features I like follows: Altitude Hieght-bottom deck, Position Hold, Return to Home, and Rescue.

What are my options with today's Gyro's that have similiar features. DJI's are a little expensive, so let's go from here.

I know this is a two question post, I am looking for support as to what direction I am going to go!

Can I stabilize the 500?

Or getting a current Gyro the answer?

Thanks, Dennis

holtneil

Hi when I fitted the cobra to my 500 the weight didn't affect it to much i am running a low head speed about 1840 but you can't fly them to hard at that speed , to keep tail in check i upped to 75 mm blades

Top Bottom