1. If you would like to get rid of these banners and the ads within the posts, all you have to do is sign up and they will go away!
  2. Welcome to Rc-Help, are you here looking for the PDF Plans? They are located in the store in the tab above, but you must be signed in to access that part of the site. It only takes a second to sign up!
  3. Like Us On Facebook!
    Hello Guest, it occurred to us during that last server failure that we had no way of informing the members of the site of the failure and I would like to invite you to like us on facebook so that you can get updates if the site happens to go down again. We don't post much over there unless we are updating the members so we will not flood your feed like some places do. Just click on Like and then allow notifications and that's it. See you there soon!

Click Here To Rc-Help's Facebook page!
    Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, I see you are not signed up on our forum yet. Did you know Registration is FREE and is only a couple clicks away? You can even sign in from Facebook, Twitter or Google+ for your convenience! So what are you waiting for, CLICK HERE to join in on the conversation!

500 Trex 500 Opinions

Discussion in 'Helicopters' started by Dennis H, May 14, 2018.

1. Dennis H

Dennis H Member

What is your opinion between the TRex 500, the 600, and the 700?

I have all three and use Skookums on all three.

The TRex 600 and 700 fly great. The 600 has a scale body, the 700 is stock.

Both the 600 and 700 fly great with the Skookum 720, Black Editions.

I just put a scale body on my TRex 500 with a Skookum, and there is a mass difference with this Heli. My biggest problem is the tail rotor will not keep the Heli straight unless I hold about 1/2 right on the transmitter. I have set up over 10 Skookum with no issues.

I lowered the RPM's to 1,800. The tail rotor rod is not binding or giving, it's actually working. I see it moving and while on the ground (full throttle), it's definetly blowing hard. It's like the blades are not big enough, or the gearing is wrong. I have tried setting through the Skookum, and manually. No Help.

I was looking forward to the 500 as I wanted a smaller Heli to practice with. I tried a 450, but vibration issues stopped me. I was advised to get a current Gyro, ICON, 3SX, even a MicroBeast, this is just for the 450's. Skookum vibrations issues are common. I have never had a problem with the 600 & 700, infact several times the Skookum didn't require "any" adjustments during its first flight.

Any ideas?

I know Skookum is just about History, I still like them, I don't like the vibration issues, I was told the Bavarian 3sx would not have any vibration issues as well as ICON's.

I really don't want to swap to a different Gyro, but if it's inevitable, I need to make a chocie as to which one I use.

The Skookum features I like follows: Altitude Hieght-bottom deck, Position Hold, Return to Home, and Rescue.

What are my options with today's Gyro's that have similiar features. DJI's are a little expensive, so let's go from here.

I know this is a two question post, I am looking for support as to what direction I am going to go!

Can I stabilize the 500?

Or getting a current Gyro the answer?

Thanks, Dennis

2. Smoggie

Smoggie Well-Known Member

1800RPM is way too low for a 500. Try cranking it up to something closer to 2500RPM

Dennis H likes this.
  3. Dennis H

Dennis H Member

I will bump the RPM's up.

4. holtneil

holtneil Active Member

Hi when I fitted the cobra to my 500 the weight didn't affect it to much i am running a low head speed about 1840 but you can't fly them to hard at that speed , to keep tail in check i upped to 75 mm blades

Dennis H likes this.