380/420 Trex 470 With Rt 386

ssschmidt4

Anyone try the RotorTech 386’s on the Trex470? I am flying the RT 71 tails and would like to try the mains as well but I am concerned about the clearance! Thanks!

Tony

Staff member
Very interesting post and question. I have never even owned the 470 so can't comment on if it will work or not. But here is a free bump for the thread. Anyone out there run these blades or this size of blades? @Geena maybe you have some insight on this?

Geena

Staff member
I`m not sure I would want to go that much shorter on the main blades. I mean...it will work, but you`ll be losing a lot of disc area which could decrease performance quite a bit. If you`re just sport or scale flying, it should be fine. But if you`re doing 3D, you might want to stick with the right length blades.

Admiral

I would be very cautious, you have already extended your tail rotor diameter by 2mm, extending the main rotor disc dia. by an additional 6mm would be extremely close if my 450L is anything to go by.
I've replaced the standard 61mm tail blades with 69mm tail blades and now the clearance with 360mm blades is about 4mm.
Using a tape measure 386mm from the center of the blade bolt to the nearest point of the tail blade disc arc, that will give you an indication, this is not 100% accurate so give yourself some leeway.

It should help you make a decision though.

Last edited:

leedude1

Hey Admiral thanks for the skid suggestion for the 450 dominator they are perfect. that little bit of additional clearance by lifting the tail a few degrees is all that was needed.. :arms:

Admiral

No problems I've also put 550X skids on my 500 for the same reason, took a bit more mucking around, but worth the effort.

Admiral

Thanks Admiral for that information. I needed different skids on my 500.

With the first set that I installed I drilled holes in the skids to match up with the 500 mounts, this weakened the skids and they broke on a hard landing.
The new set that I fitted I used the existing holes in the skids an plated the frame with aluminum, a bit of fiddling but worth it.

IMG_3971 (Medium).JPG

Top Bottom