FBL Gyro Trex 470 skid on Trex 450

Just a quick question for all the pilots,

At the moment i am still learning to fly a CP heli which is a Trex 450 Pro and the TT gear is stripped most of the time when i crash or accident hit the ground too hard. That why i think i might try to use the Trex 470 skid with the 450 but if i do so, is this make my gyro not perfectly level when initialise?

Smoggie

It will work fine. The gyro doesn't have to be level, in fact on a standard 3 axis gyro FBL you could lay the heli on it's side or up side down and it would still initiate normally.

Tony

Staff member
That is mainly on the cheaper quads and heli's. Most high end gyro's will be calibrated during setup and will not be affected during startup. They just need to be left still so that they can calibrate each sensor to each other and make sure they know what position they are in.

Smoggie

A standard 3 axis FBL has no way of detecting if the heli is level or not. A gyro only detects angular acceleration (i.e. rotation of the heli), so as long as the heli is kept still it will initiate regardless of the helis orientation. A standard FBL is simply an electronic version of a flybar, they work on the same principal. No one worries if a flybar heli is level when they power it up!

It's only 6 axis FBL controllers that can even detect if they are level or not (Brain/iKon, Spirit, Neo, demon 3SX etc) because they also have 3-axis accelerometers which can detect gravitational force. But because gravity always pulls down regardless of heli position they to can initiate when the heli isn't level, but usually with 6-axis you need to be within about 30 degrees of level, otherwise initialisation fails.

FWIW I have a Trex 700X which has the same 5 degree tilted landing gear as the 470L and it works just like any other heli. I also added the same landing gear to my 600 pro and it too works just fine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom