Trex 450L dominator, my first proper heli !!

Mda1701d

Hello all,

After racing RC buggies as a kid, then indoor 1/10 in the late 90's, I stumbled across heli's after an impulse buy of a small coaxial last year. Its a bit of a handfull in our garden, as the slightest breeze sends it flying in all directions!!
I began watching vids on Utube and became interested in a more powerfull bird.
I spent many hours researching the hobby, and decieded the best way to start would be with a flight sim.
I picked up Realflight 4 from Ebay with a usb controller, and although it didnt work great, it got me into flying!! Months more of research and I have finally bought my first proper bird!! I wanted to assemble the kit myself, to further learn about setup, and how things work, so I finally chose the Trex 450L Dominator, 6s, along with Spektrum DX6i.
I will be posting again soon on the build, which is now almost complete, along with a few things I would have done differently if I'd have known!!
I soon ditched Realflight, as it wouldn't work well with the DX6, so now I have Phoenix. It runs well on my older XP machine, and I have to say the support is fantastic. We had an issue when we first loaded it, and after one email, we got a download to fix it within an hour on a Sunday!
Nice & easy to configue, some great models & flying sites and free upgrades! The only slight drawback is the sound isn't as good as Realflight.
Its amazing how much things have moved since I was last playing around with the cars, brushless motors, lipo batteries, computer radios!! Now I have joined the 21st century, it would be nice to hear from anyone who has started with a similar heli to mine, as the first spool ups and hovers will be a bit nerve racking with no training gear (I read that flybarless dont take well)
Lastly for now, RC help has a fantastic vid on connecting the reciever & 3GX, and servo set up..... invaluble!!!!!!
Thanks guys!!

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
Welcome to the forum.....Things in the RC world have moved forward a little bit! As you have seen there is wealth of information here and many great people ready and willing to help. I am in the middle of a Goblin 630 build, which is my first build and I wouldn't be as far as I am now without RCH! I started with a Blade 450 3d w/ flybar. It was easy to move to the CP helis but there was still a learning curve for me. The best tool I have found is the sim. I have Phoenix and have spent many, many hours practicing. However, if you don't take the sim seriously and treat it like a game, it doesn't really do the trick. Practice, Practice, Practice and when your done with that, Practice some more!

Again, welcome!

Mda1701d

Hello and thanks for the reply!
Seems this hobby is alot bigger there in the states.
I look forward to hearing more as your heli progresses, and will be writng more as mine moves on too!
Thanks again, regards.

Graham Lawrie

Welcome to the forum from Scotland:) There are loads of us on here that have started down the same route with the same set up. Align Trex Pro V2 3GX and DX6i. Plenty of help here:)

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
Hello and thanks for the reply!
Seems this hobby is alot bigger there in the states.
I look forward to hearing more as your heli progresses, and will be writng more as mine moves on too!
Thanks again, regards.

My pleasure!

It's pretty big here. Lots of local clubs but good LHS's are few and far between. I get what I need online. My build thread is on the forum here it Goblin 630 Build. Check it out if you like.

Barge

Welcome M, I'm in the same boat as you, my first heli, a 450L just about ready for its maiden flight and I must admit the butterflies are starting to flap around. I have spent a lot of time on the build and a lot of time on the simulator so I'm trying to give myself the best chance of success. All the best for your first lift off.

Lee

Welcome to the forum. Seems you have taken the right path so far on your entry to this amazing hobby. :)

Mda1701d

Well, thanks to all for the warm welcme!
Looking forward to the report of the first flight of the trex the same as mine. I wonder if flying inverted works the other way round in oz lol!
I might be ready for the first spool ups after the weekend, blade tracking etc, depends on how many other jobs around the house i need to do sunday, oh, and how many safety cars there is in malasia!
Found a few terms that amused me during the reserch stage...... Funny to note that 'us heli guys' refer to planes as planks lol, and yes, i would like one as well at some point! The jesus bolt... Plenty of lock tight on this! Lastly, i hope i never find out why loss of tx rx communication is called a brown out lol!!
I have requested phoenix produce a dominator for the sim, hopefully it will be on an update from them soon.
Thanks again all!

Top Bottom