450 Trex 450 pro v2 tail upgrade

So I finally got tired of the original tail assy with all its excessive slop and upgraded to an align metal tail. Ive gotta say OUTSTANDING upgrade! looks much better and has virtually no play in the tail blades now...but I have one issue...my servo linkage rod is too short and I had to give it about 75 subtrim to get the slider in dead center. ....programmed endpoints into the 3gx and works perfectly fine. Only problem is the servo horn is anything but 90 degrees now lol...is that gonna be an issue in flight? do I need to find a longer servo rod?

Tony

Staff member
I would find a longer rod to use. With the servo arm not at 90 with the linkage, you are getting more travel in one direction than you are the other. This can be an issue if it needs that travel. If this is a clone, look at getting a new tail boom. I'm pretty sure the boom with the torque tube comes with the tail linkage rod and ends. I don't think you can use the carbon fiber rod, but I may be wrong.

But you are right, they are pretty solid.

murankar

Staff member
Also the pitch slider should be 90° to the push rod. This may result in some pitch in the tail blades.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

The tail moves evenly from one endpoint to another, has its full range of travel just before binding and rests in dead center. The pitch arm on the tail is 90 to the link, my concern was up front where the servo horn is almost at a 45 angle when the slider is centered. It is not a clone its a trex 450 pro 3gx converted to a dfc head and the tail upgrade of course all align parts on it no clone parts. Was wondering if anyone that has done this tail upgrade on this heli could tell me if they had the same problem and if so where to find the linkage rod i need. Thanks!

murankar

Staff member
If the servo horn is not 90° to the push rod then one of two things needs done. Unscrew the link ends or get a slightly longer push rod.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

looks like i need a control rod that is 4-5mm longer but cant seem to find one.....330mm is stock length so I need a 335mm anyone have any ideas? thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

holy crap murankar I live in killeen too!!

orbi

Hi Guys .... actually I got racked off with having to service my servo in the body of the heli that I tail mounted it and put a s9257 futaba on. This way adjustment is real easy, after setting horn at 90 to the servo I adjust the position of the servo along the boom. .. to get the right point I fold my blades square outwards and by looking from the rear of the heli rotate main gear by hand till one blade is on top and the other on the bottom pointing towards you, then adjust the servo ( or linkage rod ) till the top blade points left and has a difference of 3/4 inch between the 2 blade tips. This way its in the" right area" of positive pitch........ this always works for me but everyone has their own take on things.

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

So after growing severely impatient with this horrible seller on ebay who has not shipped my longer rudder control rod here is my solution! Servo horn and tail control arm are at a perfect 90 now!

image.jpg

carbon fiber is some strong stuff! was suprisingly difficult to drill through, but very happy now....all im waiting for is some tail wash arm bearings to arrive tommorrow then test flight!! (yes i was goofing off one night in the living room and the tail rotor smacked the carpet:duh:)

- - - Updated - - -

it also made me a LOT more comfortable as i actually had to screw the link ends more into the rod and less fear of too many threads exposed leading to a link end popping off the rod in flight

Top Bottom