Micro TREX 150 issues

leedude1

I haven't finished the rebuild on my 150 parking lot incident yet. I have however swapped out the tail motor on the other 150 that was causing me some grief. I put in one good flight after the tail motor change where things looked like they should..however with the second battery I'm back to the same issue of the tail rotating clock wise and not being able to hold.

i wondering if this may not be an MRS (board) issue at this stage, as its a brand new motor,new tail rotor as well ...

Gyro setting at 55% to start on the DX6, tail gain on the unit set at 50 to start, and I even started pushing the gyro to up to 75% (some serious wag there let me tell you) but this is just not holding anywhere and just is not flyable.

I'm curious if its not the tail gain pot itself that may be the issue as I started to play with the settings the other day and I wondering if this may be the cause...I've moved the pot to minimum and then turned back from there without any obvious change in the situation so im at a loss at this stage.

Any ideas or has this happened to anyone else? :banghead:

Tony

Staff member
It does sound like the gyro is bad on that one. Maybe swap it out for the other one you have?

leedude1

Yeah, I still have to do the rebuild on the other one but it just sucks as I just spent the time and money on the tail swap out to end up at the same place with this one. Gyro is a pricey piece on these as well... so as I mentioned in the other thread, I may just frankenbird the 2 150's into one as you suggested leave the 130x to its watery grave (unless I can find some inexpensive used parts) and look at a new mid size (by my standards ) bird CFX 180 or some thing else but not sure what.

leedude1

Well dove in and ordered the new MRS unit for the smashed number 2 (parking lot kissing) bird...love these little rockets, so I hate to see one sitting in pieces...all that's missing is a new board..I gave them each equal air so looking forward to the wrenching should have the parts by Monday.

1Swoopdog

I know this is an old post, but where did you get the new MRS for the 150 at? Every place now seems to be out of stock.

leedude1

Hey swoop,

Local Hobby shop here , where you located? I can check if they got one available and provide you with the shop coordinates. They are really solid folk and surely will ship if necessary they even mail stuff when I cant get out to them and its only a 25 minute drive.

Let me know it would be a pleasure if I can help out.

Smoggie

I have a 150 with a bad MRS too, it seems like a very common problem. The price of those MRS boards is ridiculous.
To be honest the helis been nothing but trouble since day one. It spent more time on the repair bench than it ever did flying. It was a complete money pit, it cost me far more to maintain than any of my 700 size helis!.
When the MRS failed I just called it 'beyond economic repair' and put the 150 away on the naughty shelf where it sits to this day. In the unlikely event that I see an MRS board going very cheap second hand i might think about fixing it but I'll not pay full whack for one, the heli's just been too much trouble and it's remaining value isn't enough to justify spending that sort of money on IMHO.

I hope you are having better luck with yours!

leedude1

Sorry swoop Ive been out for a bit... Ill sent an email to my store a few minutes ago...and Ill let you know because they may have one in stock as I mentioned I had to replace a few due to crashes etc.... im in Canada so it might actually be an advantage for you if they dont do the currency flip. Ill get back to you my man.

1Swoopdog

Sorry swoop Ive been out for a bit... Ill sent an email to my store a few minutes ago...and Ill let you know because they may have one in stock as I mentioned I had to replace a few due to crashes etc.... im in Canada so it might actually be an advantage for you if they dont do the currency flip. Ill get back to you my man.

Ok great I appreciate that thank you.

murankar

Staff member
Personally I would see if a micro ikon would fit and suit your needs. Might be cheaper and they are more available.

leedude1

Has any one tried this? Not sure it would work. Even if its less expensive, I wouldn't be willing to spend the bucks to be the guinea pig so to speak and to fail and then still have to still fork out for a new one.

murankar

Staff member
I know it works on a 450 and smaller heli. I think SuperBad used one on a 130X or a 180 CFX but now uses it on his OXY 3. It appears to have the right connectors and here are the specs:

Specifications:
Dimensions:31.6mm x 19.2mm x 10.7mm (LxWxH) / 13g Weight
Application:Nitro and Electric Compatible
Receiver Support:S-Bus 2 and PPM / Futaba S-Bus / Spektrum DSM2 & DSMX Ports/ Hitec
Cyclic Servo Support:Up to 560Hz
Tail Servo Support:760uS/ 1520uS with up to 560Hz Frequency

Compair the sizes of the two and see if they are close. If they are then it should work just fine. Here is the link to a retailer
You are being redirected...

Smoggie

The mini ikon in a trex 150 is not that simple because the Trex 150 uses a direct drive tail rotor motor.. so the FBL has to control a brushless motor rather than a servo. To do this conversion you would need the mini ikon plus TWO brushless ESC's.. While it might work (or it might not) it would be far from straightforward and weight is likely to be a major issue.

Like I said earlier, I came to the conclusion that it's just not worth spending that much money at the T150, it's just throwing good money after bad. Something like the Hisky HCP100S is a better flying heli, more powerful and more robust, and you can buy the complete heli for less that a T150 MRS board...

Top Bottom