Trucks Traxxas T-Maxx Suspension Setup

Tony

Staff member
well here it is, the final video for Project Maxx. In this video I show you how to setup your suspension on the T-Maxx. This will be pretty much the same for all of the T-Maxx's out there except the revo. This can also be applied to other trucks and cars as well, but most will not have adjustable rear toe. The Camber gauge I was using is not quite tall enough for the tires on this truck, and I used a carbon spar to help out. This worked great, just make sure whatever you have to use is straight for the most accurate reading.

As stated, this is the final video in the series. The truck now has a new home in Texas (Go Sooners!!!) (Thanks Adam) and I hope he gets many hours of fun out of this thing. I know I had a blast with it in the time I had it. Now, it's onto other projects and new videos.

Have a look and let me know what you think.

[video=youtube_share;NF81in808NQ]http://youtu.be/NF81in808NQ[/video]

Last edited:

Adam

Ok did you make an vid on nitro tuning or basically when you were checking the temps is that basically what ya got to do.

Tony

Staff member
I didn't get a chance to make that video, you bought it too fast lmao. But when it's warmed up and just idling, you want to pinch the fuel line going to the carb and count how many seconds it takes to shut off. It should take around 3 seconds. This will test your low end needle. Under 3 seconds, too lean. If it's over 3 seconds, it's too rich. Top end is done with a temp gun. That truck loves it around 240 in teh beginning, and will heat up to about 280 at the end of the tank. Try to keep it around or under 250 if you can. Temp guns are cheap and I highly suggest getting one.

Tony

Staff member
hahaha, good deal man. Glad I could help out. Well if you call redoing it helping out lmao.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
i just did not do the thing with the rueler front to back. i measured the two links then used a tape measure to adjust the toe. used a square for the camber.

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, the straight edge will keep the truck from off tracking. Once you get it to 0º of toe in the rear, you will add 1/2º to each side to total 1º. If you want since you have more power and do more straight line racing than turning, you can put in 2º of toe into the rear if you wish.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I'll check it out in the morning too many beers right know! LOL I had her back together and running this afternoon. my batterie pack in the rx died. oh well

Tony

Staff member
Hopefully it didn't go full throttle when the Rx pack died... I have had that happen more times than I would like to admit.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
No it was right at my feet! Lol I have a return spring on her anyway! Just got done setting it up. Everything should be golden now I was off on one of my rear toe in's and redid the front toe in. Measured the front links with a caliper one was off by about a 1/16" or less. My front toe in I have 39 1/2 cm across the front of the tire and 40 1/2 cm across the back of the tire. I hope that's good enough! LOL. The camber I had set but I reset them according to your set up method. I did not have the privet balls screwed in all the way. Just till the end of the treads. I screwed them all in all the way, then put my square up against the tires had to run the bottom balls out a little on all of the corners. Hopefully it's not snowing when I get up tomorrow and I can test before I go to work!

Tony

Staff member
I never trusted the return springs. Unless you are running a good digital, or coreless servo, the spring doesn't quite have the strength to pull the servo back. If yours does, great. But the old servos were just too tight to pull back with a spring. It's been years since I use one though.

And good deal about the camber. Sounds like the RPM arms are a little different than stock. Either way, should be setup nicely.

3937As for the 1cm front and rear, 1cm = .3937". So you are at about 3º of tow in in the front. That is a little much, but it should track well. If it was me, I would set it to about 2.5mm difference on the front, or 1/4cm. That will be about 1º of toe. Same on the rear. But, you have to go to work, and even if there is snow tomorrow, who cares, it's a Maxx, run it in the snow!!!!

tarus64

new to the forum and r/c hobby bought a e-maxx brushless m/m and vxl bandit trying to spend time with nephew to give some guidance,saw your youtube and used set-up on e-maxx the joined the forum.Thanks from T-town

Top Bottom