General Transmitter Suggestion

Spencer

i currently have a spektrum Dx6i (older unit) and I think I need to upgrade to run my trex 800e. How important would it be to get an 8 or 9 channel transmitter when a 6 or 7 would fly it? Just tryIng to spend the money in the right areas. I am thinking either a Dx7 or Dx8 any other suggestions with the reason?

Smoggie

You only need 6 channels for essential functions so the DX6i will be enough to get you into the air. On the other hand a couple of extra channels allows for easy use of extra features such as stability and 'rescue' which many modern FBL come with. The more modern TX's also come with a load of additional features and capabilities, they also have dual antennae for a more reliable radio link.

The standard advice when it comes to a Tx is get the best that you can stretch to. If sticking with Spektrum there is no longer a 7 channel Tx in their range so if buying new and if you want more than 6 channels it would have to be a DX8 Gen 2 as a minimum.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Yup, from flight modes to rescue modes to using a governor which you will want to run on an 800 size bird, you definitely want to update your Tx to the best you can afford. I have the DX9 and love it. Of course, my tx is only half that of Steve's radio lol.

Smoggie

Tony, if the DX9 was available when I first upgraded to a DX18 I'd have probably gone for the 9. I don't need those 18 channels and have never used more than 8 of them, it was really some of the other features I was looking for and the DX9 pretty much has them all.

sneezy007

I agree the DX9 is more than enough radio for most people. I have a DX18 because I hope to get into scale models one of these years.
Dino

murankar

Staff member
Your choice of radio is basically open. You'll get more help here with Specktrum.

As for channel count I would get as many as you can afford with out being over board about it. Personally I would shoot for 8 just so I have extra options. Like stated earlier I would want to have some kind of bank switching and rescue mode. I also would like to have live tuning if the FBL is able to do so.

What brand you go with will require some home work on your part. As stated a specktrum radio will net you the most help. Futaba, graupner, JR (over priced I think) and maybe even frSky. Things to consider is going to be rx cost and ease of programming.

Spencer

Well it is official I picked up a DX9 while I was out of town. Can’t wait to get home tomorrow and tinker with it..........

Geena

Staff member
You`ll love it. The DX9 is a very capable transmitter, that you won`t soon outgrow. Enjoy. :)

Admiral

You won't be sorry, I've had mine since they were first released. Only issue I have had was when I fell over and landed on it. The Horizon Hobby Agent had it repaired and back to me in about a week at a reasonable price.

Top Bottom