Transmitter Camera Ideas Needed

Tony

Staff member
I need some ideas on how to mount a camera above my DX8 so that I can capture stick movements. does anyone have any ideas? I have acrylic and I can cut and bend it if needed. Let me know your ideas. drawings or pictures would help a LOT if you have or can find them. Thanks.

treff

I think it depends how you hold your TX Tony. I would make some sort of bracket that can be strapped to your chest with the strapping going over your shoulders to prevent slippage. If you mount the camera on the actual TX I think you are going to have focus and depth of field problems.
I hope this helps. Cheers

Tony

Staff member
How would it be any different being mounted on my chest to being mounted on the Tx? The height would be the same, about 8". Maybe 6".

Lee

Mounting it to the TX would be preferable. Then you don't get any unwanted movement. Its a solid framed picture. Which camera are you going to use? A little camera bracket holding the camera over the tx and clamped to the base of the antenna would work.

Tony

Staff member
That's just it, I don't konw where to get that clamp that goes on teh antenna as well as hold a camera. And I"m thinking about just using my cell phone. It records in 1080. I have an old iphone that does 720, and if I have to, I have my big camera that I could use if all else fails. hell, I might even take my old 480 camera out of my old glasses and use that. It would be the lightest of them all, and wiht as small as the video would be (PiP), it would look good.

Lee

If you have Acrylic, you can mould a clamp in the style of those test tube clamps you used to have in Chemistry Lessons.

Karubah

I have been thinking about the same thing for the lat few weeks. I was thinking of bending up a bit of thin alloy plate and a hole drilled through it so that it fits over the antenna and fix it with double sided tape to the back of the TX. I have an old car phone holder that Would mount to the top of the alloy so that my ph can sit in horizontly. I know how it's looks in my head, but getting it from there to here is a struggle. Might be of some help

Slobberdog

I have been thinking about the same thing for the lat few weeks. I was thinking of bending up a bit of thin alloy plate and a hole drilled through it so that it fits over the antenna and fix it with double sided tape to the back of the TX. I have an old car phone holder that Would mount to the top of the alloy so that my ph can sit in horizontly. I know how it's looks in my head, but getting it from there to here is a struggle. Might be of some help

Mine was a similar thought to above

image.jpg

Sorry for the primitive beast but in work, small hole in long end bigger other hole as the antenna is tapered, as depicted by my pencil, lol

image.jpg

Tony

Staff member
I think I know where you are goign with that Lee. Just a simple clamp. I have some 8/32 nylon bolts here and I think I have some nylon nuts for them as well so that should work. I also have some single sided foam tape to use for grip. I think I'm going to be spending some time out in the garage this weekend.

Kev, the only issue with what you have there is I run my antenna pointing to the right or left and not straight out. You should never run it straight out since right from the tip is the dead zone on these Tx's. I have never had an issue, but like to keep the possibility as low as possible. But I also see where you are coming from with that.

I think I can make something up. I have a lot of thin strips of acrylic scrap after building the sump and the small nano tanks. Just need to take it from my head, and put it in front of me with my DX8 sitting there to test. If I drop my TX in the garage, I'm going to be pissed lmao.

Karubah

I did a rough mock up of what I am going to do in the next few days. Its a bit rough and the cardboard a bit soft but hopefully you can get an idea. The roll of tape was to hold up the floppy cardboard. I will use a piece of 2.4mm alloy. Still not sure how im going to attach it to the back of the Tx so that it can be easily removed and replaced, may be velcro. 7-12 086.jpg7-12 087.jpg7-12 088.jpg7-12 089.jpg

7-12 086.jpg

7-12 087.jpg

7-12 088.jpg

7-12 089.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Okay, now I'm picking up what you are putting down. However, that is to look at the heli and I'm needing to look at the sticks. I'm going to be finishing the flight school, and I think it would help teach people better if they can see my stick movements and what is done to keep a helicopter in a stable hover, entering forward flight and so on. I'm trying to stay away from putting things on the back, but will if I have to. I think Lee's clamp idea is going to work best. Just need to bend, drill, tap, and weld some acrylic together. And for that, I need to head out to the garage and fight the wasps for my space lmao.

Karubah

Oooh right I did not catch that you wanted the sticks in the frame as well. That would be a bit harder to do as you have to came from the base of the Tx.

john2012

Banned
tony why don't you use the hand grip on the back of the tx you will have better support for what camrea your going to use

Tony

Staff member
The antenna is larger and will be easier to mold acrylic around. Having a larger surface means a larger surface area and more grip strength.

Top Bottom