General Training The Little Ones Flight School

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Hi everyone,
Wow!!!!!!!!!!! what a day.:yikes:I had 27 children between the ages of 4 to 6 years old and WAS SO HAPPY when the session was over. I was worn out but really enjoyed myself. The class started when I turn on the navigational lights to my CH53 and explained their meaning. They're taught when you see a green light you can go and a red light means to stop. I went further and told them this is how their mommy and daddy are able to drive the family car on the street. Every child understood completely when I related it to an airplane/helicopter. The school had set up a 55 inch wide screen TV monitor that I plugged my laptop with the RC Flight Simulator attached to it. So you could imagine how big a 600 size helicopter would look like before you with all the whistles and bells. Awesome. I placed a little people chair before it and I sat on the floor next to the child. And let me tell you friends overall there were some sharp kids out there. Two girls stood out and no boy could touch them. This is not an easy task explaining to a young child on how to use the collective/cyclic sticks. It didn't matter if they crashed a few times or a hundred, they had fun and that's all I cared about. While each child took a turn and flew for about 3 to 4 minutes, they would then pick a fellow classmate to take the controls. In the background their teachers were printing the child's name to a training certificate my son in law made. My wife who came with me had the bag of junior pilot wings. When everyone had a chance I asked everyone to give themselves a big clap for an awesome job. And you should have seen their faces when I told them they have earned a certificate with their name on it and will also get a set of junior pilot wings. So with teachers video taping, the school director called out the name of each graduating student to get a certificate and their wings. Our granddaughter helped in passing out the wings. I had the added honor of giving the child their certificate. There were SMILES everywhere. According to school rules you can't pin anything on to their clothes, so each child was handed their wings. Both items were placed in the book bags belonging to the little one. And guess what, Carey had made extra certificates so all teachers got one along with a set of wings. Even had certificates made for the owners of the school and director with wings. :yahoo:

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Hi Stambo,
I can just picture the children showing their parents what they experience that day. The school was very grateful and I'm now known as the helicopter man by the students. Had a real good feeling when I left afterwards. Forgot to mention other teachers in adjacent classrooms heard the laughter (it was that loud) and had to investigate. When I did this last year I had 14 students and 27 this summer. Teachers and faculty share information and think that might have something due to increase enrollment this year. Regular school was in session when the owners, director and I talked about doing a helicopter presentation this summer. Word got out about me flying one of my 450s in the fall. I would suspect there will be a large turnout that day, the school owns a nice piece of property. Plenty of room to do some decent flying, no 3D stuff just basic flying (hovering, figure eights and circles). Most likely will bring three helicopters with enough batteries for several flights. Birds will be a Augusta A109; Gartt 450Pro and CH53 painted in United States Coast Guard colors. Will also talk to a good friend who lives in New Jersey and see if he can come down for a couple of days. He builds and flies 600 and up scale helicopters. Must have invested over $30,000 in his aircraft. He's big on Vario; Funky fuselages and Align Trex helicopters, with top of the line electronics. Does have a 450 and a 500. If he were to bring either a Hughes MD 500 or EC135 (both 700s) the fuselage would take up the rear seats with blades removed. I know his Vario UH-1 Huey fuselage is 5 feet long with 800mm main blades. He's made some modifications that are better than the originals. A lot depends on his work schedule and the weather, but I've seen him fly a Jet Ranger in winds up to 20mph. Bird fuselage was modified and was equip with 1000mm blades, he's that good. :agree:

Top Bottom