450 Training Sticks On Trex450l

Rob Nuss

I'm using 3 24 inch long dowels as trading aids on my Trex 450L . I'm really sure I've got the Beast plus programmed correctly. I'm fairly experienced, but can't get the hel i to hover. Need some advice, do the long dowels screw up the gyro sensing? Should I scrap the training aids?

Admiral

I found the the tradition Training set with the balls used to cause the 3 axis gyro to go crazy and get a death wobble.
The training hoop that I had learned on with the Fly barred helicopter was also good for FBL, I think because it was more rigid, where the balls flap up and down independently confusing the Gyro.
Nothing worse than a confused Gyro LOL.

Attachments

• IMG_2175 (Medium).JPG
    95 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2278 (Large).JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 8

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I like that Admiral. Never saw it before but it does make sense about confusing the gyro :hmmm:

Geena

Staff member
Those training sticks were designed back in the days of flybarred helicopters, when all we had were tail gyros. So the vibrations that the sticks cause, had little to no effect on the gyro or the way the helicopter performed. Our newer FBL gyros are very sensitive to vibrations, and the sticks can cause them to get a little weird. In my opinion, they are more a hindrance than a help. The reason I say that is... 1. They can make the gyro act up...not always, but they can. 2. Most people who use the sticks, end up hovering 3-4 feet off the ground, which completely negates the effectiveness of the sticks. But by staying low enough to allow the sticks to do what they are made to do, you have to stay in ground effect. Which contributes to the sticks making the gyro act up.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey there Geena. Hope all is well with you :).
Well dip me in poop and call me stinky :chuckles:. I don't care how old you are, your always learning something new in this hobby :dizzy:.

Geena

Staff member
Hey there Geena. Hope all is well with you :).
Well dip me in poop and call me stinky :chuckles:. I don't care how old you are, your always learning something new in this hobby :dizzy:.
Hey D.O.G. How have ya been? Everything here is great. Still flying almost every day, and all that stuff. Hope all is well with all of Y`all too.

Admiral

Hi Rob, FBL are a lot more stable than Fly barred if set up properly, apart from the training hoop which I used some people put larger skids like 700 skids on 450 or 500's others use wooden dowel in an "X", anything that is fixed to the skids and rigid enough not the flap up and down. Others just go fore it, very carefully.

Let us know how you go.

RandyDSok

Thanks for all the input. Guess I'll just suck it up and launch her!

It's still strongly recommended ( if you haven't already ) to train using a decent RC Flying sim for your practicing before you start flying in real life... It will likely pay for itself many times over.

Smoggie

I'm using 3 24 inch long dowels as trading aids on my Trex 450L . I'm really sure I've got the Beast plus programmed correctly. I'm fairly experienced, but can't get the hel i to hover. Need some advice, do the long dowels screw up the gyro sensing? Should I scrap the training aids?

I'm not a fan of training skids but having said that it's hard to say from the description if they are likely to be the problem in this case. ''can't get the heli to hover' doesn't tell us very much. What is the problem exactly?

Rob Nuss

Thank for the input. Removed the skids, tweaked a coup!e of gyro numbers and it flies fine. Need to refine a few things but at least I'm airborn. !looking forward to being a long time member.

Top Bottom