General training gear

murankar

Staff member
I would like to order a really good set of training gear. the ones I have a cheap and the balls are plastic. I would like a set of foam balls and at least a 4mm rod. Also I do not have paypal set up and will also need to send to apo. most of you know already what I have, needs to be rated for a 450 size heli. please recommend a good site.

Tony

Staff member
From what I saw, you were running the ones I was running, and they are fine. Yes, the ping pong balls will make it move more on hard surfaces, but this helps in rudder control. It's holding the heli off the ground, but still allowing some give when you come down hard, I would stick with them. If you want foam balls, just go to the local sporting goods store and pick some up.

murankar

Staff member
It appears that I must have ordered a set from e-bay and didn't know it. I also ordered the a new tail servo mount, Align. I hope I have an improvement in the tail area with this new mount. When I was taking apart the old mount I discovered that a 1/16 hex key works better. I hope I can get the screws even tighter.

Thanks Tony again.

P.S. Finding a sporting store in South Korea may not be that easy, lol.

Lee

With the screws remember that you don't need to over tighten them. Just pinch tight should be enough and let the thread lock do the rest. As for training gear, i just used two peices of dowel rod and some squash balls. Worked perfectly for me. Check my youtube videos to see them in action on my 450.

Morelight

Fearless Freep
I found this video the other night, and actually bought the 3 components to making super light and strong, at the local flea market. I bought enough supplies for a dozen very strong 700 class training gear for under 10 bucks today. Or say 150 mcPX's :very_drunk:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZyV3HrlILsg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tony

Staff member
I'm trying to watch this, but my internet is horribly slow right now. IMO, I dont' like wood because it's weaker than carbon fiber. I have never had the issue this guy had and no need to try anything else. If it works for you, great. Just remember, on the mcpx, it cant' lift a lot of weight so be careful. When you get it built, let us see it.

murankar

Staff member
Well I found out what happened with my order from e-bay. I never checked out and left it in the cart as a buy it now. The seller had a disclaimer that stated something like "Once you start the order process you have to buy the products". Well I never finished the order process, so I guess it is possible to not finish the process. Anyhow after about 10 days he filed a complaint against me with ebay and withdrew my order. Really, now go cry to mommy and tell her I didn't want your products after all too.

So now I still have the xheli training gear and I found something stronger that zip ties to keep it attached. The pavement was nicking the zip ties and creating weak points, then they would snap. My fix is to use the inside strings to 550 cord. I snugged it on and it has been holding quite well. Down side is that it was a process to get it on there. I am also getting better at the spool up.

Morelight

Fearless Freep
I'm trying to watch this, but my internet is horribly slow right now. IMO, I dont' like wood because it's weaker than carbon fiber. I have never had the issue this guy had and no need to try anything else. If it works for you, great. Just remember, on the mcpx, it cant' lift a lot of weight so be careful. When you get it built, let us see it.

these aren't really wood like "wood dowels". these are bamboo rods which are much stronger and lighter than typical wood dowels. Plus the whiffle?? balls at the end (way lighter than squash balls), and the ingenious use of fibre tape to hold the balls on and join the rods at centre.

I thinks its genius in its simplicity. The bamboo rods are too big for an mcPX, but I think when my Blade 500 arrives, and I finally build a chaos 700, they are going to come in very handy, until I get used to them.

I'm starting to try 3D moves in the flight sim with a micro cp heli ... problem right now is I have no idle up on this cheap controller that came with my now "ded" Esky Lama4. I hope by weeks end my mcPX and dx6i will be in so I can fly and film if the weather co-operates. Its back down to below freezing at night (normal apparently), after last weeks 76°F record heat wave.:sulkiness:

murankar

Staff member
The only thing I did not like was the flatness of the spars. I like the ones I got because they flex on hard landings and absorbing some of the shock before effecting the heli. I have had a few hard hits on the ground and the spars did not break. I think I got lucky with the set I got so I will continue to use them for now. If they break I hope I have enough skill to fly without them on.

Tony

Staff member
The DX6i and that mcpx will teach you more than you could ever learn by just tossing a 450 in the air and getting frustrated. They do sell training gear for the mcpx, and it can be useful if you want to train in your house, but lose it as soon as possible, and the heli will wake up. Let us know when you get it.

Lee

I just used dowel rods and squash balls. Only broke one but that was from high up and full speed into the ground :D

Morelight

Fearless Freep
The only thing I did not like was the flatness of the spars. I like the ones I got because they flex on hard landings and absorbing some of the shock before effecting the heli. I have had a few hard hits on the ground and the spars did not break. I think I got lucky with the set I got so I will continue to use them for now. If they break I hope I have enough skill to fly without them on.

Quite right about that flatness bit.. not enough absorption on a hard set down.. but if I build a spar connector of durable plastic plumbing parts.... that might work good. I'm going to make one of those on the weekend, and if it works I'll do a testing video on it.

Howler5

The DX6i and that mcpx will teach you more than you could ever learn by just tossing a 450 in the air and getting frustrated. They do sell training gear for the mcpx, and it can be useful if you want to train in your house, but lose it as soon as possible, and the heli will wake up. Let us know when you get it.

I have training gear on my B450 but a few days ago started getting very bad vibrations/shakes when I get into a hover. I removed them and got light on the skids without any vibrations but have not tried to get it up a couple feet, not enough balls yet! :) I am "training" on my MCPx and can hover it for 4 min without any major issues. I'll try to get my B450 up in the air but the tail drifts left when I hover with the t/gear, I changed the gyro to 74 from 77.5 but seems I will have to lower gain more?

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
All helicopters with a tail rotor, and a clockwise rotating main blade will want to drift to the left. Training gear makes this worse. The best thing to do is, if you are comfortable with hovering the mcpx, is to get the heli up off the ground about 3' or so (below eye level, but out of the rotor wash) and trim it out there. If you need to, land the heli, then trim it, then try it again. Works best on a calm day, not like the flight I just had in high winds with the mcpx lol. Hope this helps.

Morelight

Fearless Freep
Do you have a lot of grass in Spain? I thought it was quite desert like there, like south cali?? Your Chaos better have solid cojones to withstand a hard landing?

Touch wood, the 600 is still in one piece from new. I'll soon change that this summer LOL :D

Top Bottom