General Training Gear

Matt

Anyone got a diagram of the proper way to put training gear on a heli? Does the thing that connects all the sticks go under the skids or between the skids and frame?

Tony

Staff member
I assemble the training gear and then sit the helicopter on top of it. Then, use zip ties to hold it where the landing gear legs meet the skid pipes. But, if you are comfortable with hovering, then don't use training gear. It hinders the performance and can actually fight the gyro and could result in a crash.

Matt

Thanks Tony, I can hover fine and didn’t realize the training gear can be more of an issue than helping out. I won’t use it

Tony

Staff member
Yea, the issue is resonant vibration. Every helicopter has a specific resonance that it vibrates at, even full scale. If you have ever been in one when it was firing up, you felt it shake quite hard. Even though you do speed the head to, through then past this point, there is still vibration that, in one way or another, could make it to the sticks with heavy balls on them. They may be hollow, but they are weight. The vibration may be 1/4 frequency, 1/8 frequency, 1/64 frequency, but they will vibrate and that vibration is transferred into the gyro. So now you have the gyro not only fighting the vibration of the helicopter, but a much more coarse vibration as well from the training gear wobbling around.

Now, with all of that said, if you feel in your gut that you need it because you are trying some new part, setup or whatever, then definitely use it. Just know the vibration could get out of hand and you will have to land quickly. Have your finger ready on that Hold switch.

Matt

I was going to put them on to learn nose in hover. I saw a video on YouTube with them on doing nose in hover. I don’t know nose in so I figured that would be my best bet. If I don’t put them on I’m going to crash anyway. I’ll make sure I’m not to far off the ground and I’ll quickly cut the throttle if I see the training gear interfering with the gyro. Thanks again..

Tony

Staff member
Yea, for something like that, I would use them but with caution. It's really easy to lose orientation and need to cut the throttle. Make sure you are over 3' in the air though so that you are not in your rotor wash. And practice side in before you do nose in. And if you have a sim, practice on that for a LONG TIME before trying it in real life. Sims definitely work.

RandyDSok

A small trick that I used when learning to fly airplanes... was to turn around with my back towards the plane when it was flying at me and then look back over my shoulder at the plane. This allows me to see the plane coming at me ( nose in ) while still letting me move the sticks in relation to the airplane as if it were going away from me. The same should apply to your heli. Once my muscle memory was more established... it didn't take long before I able to also face the airplane.

Matt

A small trick that I used when learning to fly airplanes... was to turn around with my back towards the plane when it was flying at me and then look back over my shoulder at the plane. This allows me to see the plane coming at me ( nose in ) while still letting me move the sticks in relation to the airplane as if it were going away from me. The same should apply to your heli. Once my muscle memory was more established... it didn't take long before I able to also face the airplane.

That’s interesting and makes more sense than putting the training gear on it. I’ll try that and let you know

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey Matt. As many batteries that it takes til you feel that your confident. You want to be able to do it without hesitation and crashing. Spinning left or right to get nose in.

Matt

Thanks D.O.G. That makes sense because this all seems to be relative. There are no hard fast answers to any of these things except the questions about the hardware. When someone asks a question about the electronics or the frame components themselves, then there are hard fast answers. As far as flying goes I’m assuming “just have fun with it”

Tony

Staff member
Like Ivan said, it all depends on you on that one. Everyone learns at a different pace. Just stick with it, it will 'click' one day and everything that you were trying to do will make sense.

Top Bottom