380/420 Training gear on or off???

Blade 400

Hi All,

I`m flying the Blade 400 higher now thanks to Geena`s advice on crash prevention and thanks to the Sim time, I can correct her and bring her down relatively level when the wind is moderate :smug:

The issue I have, is that now I`m flying over grass, when the wind catches me on landing, the balls of the training gear catch and the forward momentum of the Heli makes her want to tip over!!! She has done a couple of times, but thankfully the head speed was very slow at that point, so no serious damage - a few blade scuff`s that I have repaired. Any thoughts please?

I`m thinking of setting my timer a bit sooner so I bring her down to land only when the wind is more forgiving? I don`t feel I`m ready to take the training gear off???

Thanks a lot

Blade

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey Blade. Go back to hard surface so your training gear balls don't snag while still learning. Now, If you don't feel ready to take the training gear off...then don't. Just remember sooner or later your going to have to. Not till you get through that mental block. The same mental block that keeps you from using your sims flying skill to real life flying. It's all up to you to know when to say, "What the heck" and go for it :). That's just me.

Admiral

If your starting to think about removing the training gear do it, the training gear helps for so long and then starts to impede your progress. When you remove it the helicopter feels so light and nimble and wind has less effect on it.

Blade 400

If your starting to think about removing the training gear do it, the training gear helps for so long and then starts to impede your progress. When you remove it the helicopter feels so light and nimble and wind has less effect on it.
D.O.G. and Admiral, thanks for your advice :thumbsup:

I realise that I need to not fly when the wind is strong! I also need to practise spot landings (when the wind is light) as currently, I am having to fight her too much! I fly into the wind which means I have to fight the collective stick throttle wise due to translationary lift and fall! I am also fighting cyclic to prevent her from being blown back at me! I find that when I have to land (low battery) I sometimes have to fight just to get her level enough to land, but as she`s still being pushed by the wind she tries to tip over (I like the going back over a hard surface idea for now but, also think I will have to remove the training gear soon when I fly back over grass) I wish the landing skids were wider offering more stability for landings? It`s so easy to tip over = damaged blades and rotor head???

Blade 400

D.O.G. and Admiral, thanks for your advice :thumbsup:

I realise that I need to not fly when the wind is strong! I also need to practise spot landings (when the wind is light) as currently, I am having to fight her too much! I fly into the wind which means I have to fight the collective stick throttle wise due to translationary lift and fall! I am also fighting cyclic to prevent her from being blown back at me! I find that when I have to land (low battery) I sometimes have to fight just to get her level enough to land, but as she`s still being pushed by the wind she tries to tip over (I like the going back over a hard surface idea for now but, also think I will have to remove the training gear soon when I fly back over grass) I wish the landing skids were wider offering more stability for landings? It`s so easy to tip over = damaged blades and rotor head???
Think I`ve got an answer to this now!
As your advice differed it got me thinking, I will fly my new Blade 400 with Training gear over hard surface and my used Blade 400 over grass without Training gear - Thanks D.O.G. and Admiral :thumbsup:

Rackman

Just wondering besides insuring your swash is leval during your setup..have you center of gravity is been good with your battery & canopy in place..? It can truly have a great affect on cyclic..& more but I'm sure the pro's have already gave you a heads-up..

Blade 400

Just wondering besides insuring your swash is leval during your setup..have you center of gravity is been good with your battery & canopy in place..? It can truly have a great affect on cyclic..& more but I'm sure the pro's have already gave you a heads-up..
That`s a good point Rackman! I must admit, its something I didn`t consider:duh: but will now! Thanks mate :thumbsup:

murankar

Staff member
My 2 cents is take off the training gear if your beyond hovering. If your learning higher off the ground it does nothing to help. As for over grass it's not good to have them on. You'll get hung up in the grass.

As for a level swash: depends on your electronics. Vbar has a auto trim flight, as long As your close it will trim out during the trim flight. I do not have any exepirance on other flight controllers.

Blade 400

My 2 cents is take off the training gear if your beyond hovering. If your learning higher off the ground it does nothing to help. As for over grass it's not good to have them on. You'll get hung up in the grass.

As for a level swash: depends on your electronics. Vbar has a auto trim flight, as long As your close it will trim out during the trim flight. I do not have any exepirance on other flight controllers.
Thanks murankar,
I will be flying without training gear soon, just need to get the local park grounds people to mow more frequently :biglaugh:
My head and COG are well setup :thumbsup:

murankar

Staff member
When i started flying in grass I used a piece of plywood as a landing pad. Just make sure it fits the whole helicopter on it. During take offs the tail blades will be out of the grass. As for landing, either practice spot landings or just cut the moter a couple feet off the ground and let it float down. Saves the grass from getting bound in the tail.

Blade 400

When i started flying in grass I used a piece of plywood as a landing pad. Just make sure it fits the whole helicopter on it. During take offs the tail blades will be out of the grass. As for landing, either practice spot landings or just cut the moter a couple feet off the ground and let it float down. Saves the grass from getting bound in the tail.
That`s great murankar, I`m going to try all of that :notworthy: Thank You :biggrin1:

Geena

Staff member
That right there, is some solid advice. It will save you a lot of aggravation...and money, from changing tail gears.

Blade 400

That right there, is some solid advice. It will save you a lot of aggravation...and money, from changing tail gears.
Hi Geena,

I took murankar`s advice whilst out with my Blade 400 earlier, Flicking throttle hold to float her down worked great!
I just need to get a piece of ply and I`m ready for my first Training gear free flight :warning:

Smoggie

I just need to get a piece of ply and I`m ready for my first Training gear free flight :warning:
Good luck, the heli will be quite a bit more responsive without the training gear, also you might find that initially you struggle slightly with orientation as people often subconsciously use the balls as visual indictor of the orientation of the heli. It's good to get rid of them ASAP though.

Blade 400

Good luck, the heli will be quite a bit more responsive without the training gear, also you might find that initially you struggle slightly with orientation as people often subconsciously use the balls as visual indictor of the orientation of the heli. It's good to get rid of them ASAP though.
Thanks a lot Smoggie, I understand what your saying :thumbsup: I`ve got used to seeing Micro Heli`s without TG, but I`m sure the Blade 400 is going to be quite different :biglaugh:

Top Bottom