General trainer airplane

cobieg

Ok, what is best for a trainer, high or low wing ? I have a HK Decathlon high wing, and I am having a hard time trying to get a stable landing approach. When I went through pilot training for a private pilot ticket, I trained in a Cherokee 140. I did not like the Cessna, It felt a little too "tippy" during slow flight and landing approach. This Decathlon is the same way. I have my eyes on a low wing with tricycle gear and flap option. I am just looking for something that I can fly low, slow, and stable.

Lee

High wing is def more stable than low. If it feels tippy, is it you or the plane making it tip? If its you, can you adjust the Expo in your TX? What TX is it?

Tony

Staff member
As stated, high wing is much more stable. That is why the cessna is the plane of choice when learning how to fly a real plane. The look at para gliders and hang gliders, they are all high wing (so to speak). If you click on the Store button above, you can build my trainer that I designed and give it a shot. With that one, you can adjust the dihedral in the wing to where you want it and try different settings and if you crash, you will only lose $3 in foamboard. Its free to download as well. There are videos by clicking on Articles at the top of the forum, then clicking on the Trainer link on the left. Shows how I built it.

Low wing will usually need more airspeed than a high wing. One thing you can try is move the CoG around a bit. High air speed usually means you have a bid of weight on the nose that can be moved to the back. I'm sure you know, but i will say it anyway, nose heavy is stable, tail heavy is very pitchy and great for stunts.

Let us know if you try any of this. Or if you need anymore help.

Top Bottom