General Too Much Thread Locker?

Geena

Staff member
Geena submitted a new Article:

Too Much Thread Locker?

Too Much Loctite?

We have all done it from time-to-time. Put too much thread locker on a screw during a build, or repair. Helicopter, car/truck, boat...it`s a real pain to remove a screw that has been overly thread locked.

You either wind up stripping the head or breaking the screw off in the part...or both. Here is a simple, safe and easy way to get them to cooperate. Heat up your soldering iron and hold the tip to the head of the screw for about 30-45 seconds. This should re-liquify the thread locker, and allow you to back the screw out without harming the part. You may have to repeat the heating process a couple of times, but it will work.

What do you do if you have stripped the head of the screw? You use a Dremel, with a cutoff wheel to cut a slot in the screw head. This will allow you to use a flat screwdriver to back the screw out after heating it with the soldering iron.

Also. Please wear safety glasses when performing these, and other operations...or when using CA glue.

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
I actually have done a video a while back on how to properly apply thread locker that goes with this fantastic writeup! Not to jack it, just helping those to not have to heat a bolt.

Admiral

I've used both extraction methods and they work well, the Dremel especially on the older helicopters with Phillips heads.
I rarely use RED lotite on models preferring the BLUE and never use Phillips Heads if I can avoid it, that way I only ever get the odd stripped out Hex Head that requires the Dremel.

Description of difference in Red, Blue, Green and Purple Threadlockers

From heavy industrial equipment to delicate electronic components, LOCTITE® Threadlockers dramatically increase the reliability of threaded fasteners.
  • Locks against vibration & thermal expansion
  • Seals against corrosion & leakage
  • Reduces costs
  • Primerless & oil tolerant
  • High temperature performance
Removable & serviceable in every color

Easy disassembly with hand tools when using Low and Medium Strength formulas. High strength red formulas may be disassembled with localized heat and hand tools.

High Strength Permanent Red LOCTITE® Threadlockers

Learn more about red high strength threadlockers

Medium Strength Removable Blue LOCTITE® Threadlockers

Learn more about blue medium strength threadlockers

Low Strength (small thread) Purple LOCTITE® Threadlockers

Learn more about purple low strength threadlockers

Preassembled Wicking Grade Green LOCTITE® Threadlockers

Top Bottom