Tony's Bitchin' S-10 Thread

Tony

Staff member
My family and I have started a very large project that is going to be taking up a lot of my time for a while. I'm sure you have noticed a gap in video production here on this site, and getting the garage ready for this truck is the reason why.

This is a 1983 S-10 that was owned by my father in law and is now owned by my wife. The truck in itself is not worth much, but it was the last vehicle he drove. So it means a lot to the family. He has a lot of plans for the truck, and I want to make those plans happen, years after his passing.

This project is going to span quite a while. We still need to build the engine, rebuild the transmission, create a custom crossmember for the 4 speed automatic overdrive 700r4 transmission, custom driveshaft, paint and body work, suspension work and so on.

But, every project has to start somewhere, and it started last weekend with Bryan (my brother in law) and I pulling and pushing this truck with my John Deere tractor into the garage. Like I said, this is going to be a very long project with many videos. I'm thinking we are going to be north of 50 videos on this truck! But it will all be worth it in the end.

If you want more information on this truck, or if you just love automotive anything, click on the link below and sign up over on BrokeAuto, one of my other forums.

Broke Auto

RandyDSok

On the transmission... When you get to the part of going through the valve body. Place it in a large clean tub and then submerge it completely in transmission fluid before you take it apart. Do all of the work submerged and it should help you avoid getting dirt and dust into it saving you a lot of headaches later.

Tony

Staff member
Thanks for the tip. I have rebuilt transmissions for years and I have never done it submerged. I like to see what I'm doing lmao. But I can definitely see your point. I actually have a stainless steel table that I use just for transmission rebuilds that sits out back. I need to find me some perforated steel that I can use to put in the center of it. Truth be told, this used to be an old fish cleaning table lmao. But it works. That is all that matters.

RandyDSok

The 700r4 was the only transmission I'd used that method with also... In fact, originally I'd looked at 4-5 transmission shops to actually do the work and they all refused on it citing the problems they'd had with the valve body portion of the work. So a friend of mine and I did it... he was the one that came up with the idea of submerging it to avoid getting sticky valves and check balls.

Top Bottom