450 tonys anti rotation gear fix Please

danhampson

Tony could you please explain how to fixed the tight anti rotaion gear on your 450 pro build. as i have the same problem and cant seem to resolve it ive checked the one way bearing and collar or any signs of damage or mis machining they both look fine and work great out of the frame as soon as the bolt is inserted in getting alot of binding.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I had that.. I have resolved it now. Mine started off as a 450 Pro flybar went to a FBL on V2 head and now into a DFC setup. I changed the main beaing blocks to the new design that came out with the DFC ones, and I had that same bind.

ok .. this is what I will have you check .. TOny can add to this when he comes around at night : (REMOVE THE TAIL BOOM BLOCK JUST TO BE SURE ITS NOT THE MESH BETWEEN THE TAIL BOX AND THE AUTO GEAR)

1) take off the main gear and pull the main gear apart from the anti rotation gear. The anti rotation gear has a sleeve in it which the screw goes through . Take that sleeve out (its not glued in, its just pressed in .. ) .. and check for excess plastic under there on the small anti rotation gear. if there is take a little sand paper or file and make it smooth .. clean it off, and reseat that long sleeve in and make sure its in ALL the way .

2) The One Way Bearing (reffered to as OWB) sitting on the main gear : is that OWB seated properly.. Are all the screws tight ? (NOT supoerhuman tight.. just tight enough .. ) and did you tighten them in a star pattern (alternates) like you would on a car wheel ? If not, take that out by just unscrewing those phillips head screws and re seat that, tightening in a star / alternates pattern ..

3) Check that the main shaft bearing blocks are on there just right and you can slide your main shaft through both simultaneously in and out, without any bind...

4) Then ... you must have a little washer / collar (bronze or silver in color) that sits on top of that OWB when you insert that auto rotation gear through before pushing the main shaft through , take that washer off (TEMPORARILY) and seat the main gear with auto rotation gear back on the frame and sit the main shaft though it, and put the bolt in.. see if its too tight still ..You should have some minor play up and down and the Auto rotation gear should be free as silk... .

If thats the case, then try again, with the collar / washer in it this time and see if the bind returns..

if it does ... Then now use a file or sand paper or something like that to sand off some material off that little washer and check and recheck .. you'll hit just the right thickness very soon.

Make sure to clean it thoroughly after sanding and oil the bearings :)

danhampson

Thanks I'll go through all those in the morning. I did notice the OWB screws screws weren't very tight but I didn't tighten them in a star so I'll remove it and refit it.
Can I use fubuta servo grease on the OWB?

murankar

Staff member
No I would not. There is a special grease in there just for the one way effect. The only thing I would use is a very light oil in the bearing. Align; in their 450 pro manual, put that as a step. I remember seeing it when I built my clone so I asked the question. I also oiled my new align main gear with bearing oil and it did fine. Just a tiny bit is all you need.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
No I would not. There is a special grease in there just for the one way effect. The only thing I would use is a very light oil in the bearing. Align; in their 450 pro manual, put that as a step. I remember seeing it when I built my clone so I asked the question. I also oiled my new align main gear with bearing oil and it did fine. Just a tiny bit is all you need.

+1 not recommended

Theres a special grease for 450's OWB :) and I haven't ever greased mine and mines been through A LOT ;)

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

Tony

Staff member
The issue with my auto rotation gear was I had the bolt going through it and the main shaft too tight. It caused the gear to warp, thus warping the sleeve for the one way. I just loosened it a bit, and all was well.

checking what Gaba posted above is a great idea as well, even if it's not binding. Just remember, there is a lock nut on the bolt that goes through the auto rotation gear so you don't need to use thread locker. I didn't and never do. But, you DO need to replace it about every 5-10 times you remove it as they will wear and quit holding. you could then use thread locker on it, but I just order new nuts, they are cheap.

danhampson

Just checked it over and all is ok. Ive inserted the main gear and fixed, the gear moves well but theres no play at all.

Tony

Staff member
No play? Are you talking about gear mesh? If so, are you talking about pinion to main gear, or auto gear to tail gear?

danhampson

theres no play in the main shaft up and down. the auto gear is nice and free with the shaft just places through, when the pin is added theres a slight bit of resistance in the gear. but when the nut is in place the auto gear will not move on its own.
im thinking of taking the servos off loosening the bearing blocks, fitting the gear and shaft with a shim or two above the gear, tightening the bearing blocks (refit servos) and then removing the shim/s.
i dont think that i should be sanding parts down really (unless completely necessary).

danhampson

thanks for your assistance have sorted the issue out. i ended up loosening the main bearing blocks and servos and fitted the main shaft and gear, while squeezing the bearing blocks together.
Then tightened up the bearing blocks then servos, after that the auto gear was still a bit tight but alot better than before. I removed the main gear and checked the main shaft was running smooth up and down (all ok).
Because the auto gear was still tight i took 0.06mm off the collar with some fine wet and dry paper and refitted.
Auto gear is now running smooth and free.

Thanks for your help.

hope to be maidening soon ill be sure to post some footage

Tony

Staff member
OH YEAH :doh: I forgot all about that! My bad.

On my heli I did have an issue where without any shims, the gear was being shoved up into the blocks. I had to loosen the lower block and shove it up, and loosen the top block and shove it down just to get the space I needed.

I'm glad you got it figured out. I apologize for the brain fart keeping me from remembering that part of it lol.

danhampson

No problems tony. Going to maiden today after ive got the blade tracking done and weather permitting, I'll try to get some video.

Top Bottom