General To travel adjust or not to travel adjust, that is the question

BenScoobert

I have just watched your youtube videos on dx6i & ccpm setup.

I have a question that I have asked others and not got a definitive answer.
I have a dx6i and GP750 gyro, I set limits on the gyro and it stops it trying to push beyond the end of the slider and binding. Great, however, in rate mode I have full throw at about half stick, although it is not binding but I have lots of "nothing stick" beyond halfway.
The 2 responses I've had to this are:
1. You don't need rate mode, ignore it.
2. You didn't set it up right, do not use travel adjust to correct it as that will reduce your piro rate when in HH mode.

I had noticed that depending what you set the % at in rate mode depends how far it travels too, at 49% I get less travel, at 1% I get full throw at about 5% stick. Do I just work it out the by using 48-49%?

Thanks
Ben

Tony

Staff member
they are correct. If you adjust the travel adjustment when it's in rate mode, it will jack it up in HH mode as well. I can't remember if there is a travel adjustment for rate mode only, but if there is, that is what you need to adjust. I do remember having this issue, and I can't think for the life of me what I did to correct it.

However they are also correct in you don't need rate mode. Rate mode just stops the tail from moving and HH mode (heading hold) will lock the tail into one heading. If it's facing North at 0*, it will do everything in it's power to keep it facing at 0*. If it moves from a gust of wind or something, it will move the heli back until it's back at 0*. On a helicopter, I always suggest HH mode. On a plane though, I always suggest Rate mode.

And the gain is just that, it's how much the servo will travel when the tail is moved with no stick input. It has nothing to do with the travel of the servo by the sticks. On my helis, most of the time about 65 in HH was enough to hold great. If you go too high in HH mode (or too low in rate mode), you will get a horrible tail wag and it's pretty hard to bring it back to earth if you are in the air.

What are your settings for travel adjustment and subtrim for the tail in your Tx?

Top Bottom