FBL Gyro To all the IKON self level haters...

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I hear people banging on IKON all the time. Self level this self level that. Ikon sucks ..... This that horrible!!!!!!!

Decided to do what I preached. Balance blades, make sure I didn't have vibes, leveled the bird, and in that position hit SL, removed the head, put swash leveler and made sure swash was perfectly zero... Went to advanced menu to trim out a degree here and there to make swash leveler sit true.. Put the head back on. And fly!!

And result? Perfect flight. Believe me this was my first time EVER programming and flying a Self level. NEVER, had I done this before.

Switched to the bank, so a slight drift to left and back. Well had my laptop on the field, trimmed that out, and went up again, flipped it again and again and again from different orientations right side up and upside down , going fast and slow ... Every time the bird leveled out without an issue!!

LOVE IT! Video ::

IKON Self level Proved . IT WORKS!!!!! Warp 360 - YouTube

Last edited:

danhampson

I love my MSH Brain, i love the way it feels in flight and have used the self level once, it did its job and flipped the bird but is drifting left slightly.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Yes ... The drift is normal as the gyro is not always mounted perfectly straight on the body.. It's ok. Just go in advanced menu in gov and stab, and get trim it the other way. And you'll be golden

danhampson

Nice vid Gaba, was there much if any damage?. I think part of the drift on mine was the swash out of phase, not had time to test it yet.

Slobberdog

Guys I know I don't own the Ikon but seeing what people are writing I got a thought,

You say it drifts yes! Well when the heli is siting on your kitchen table while you set it up the gyro is nice and horizontal, but when the heli is flying it will inherently have a slight tilt, as a flying heli has a slight tilt, maybe this tilt has something to do with it, that's why you have to dial it out in the software,

Just my 2c, maybe completely wrong,

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Guys I know I don't own the Ikon but seeing what people are writing I got a thought,

You say it drifts yes! Well when the heli is siting on your kitchen table while you set it up the gyro is nice and horizontal, but when the heli is flying it will inherently have a slight tilt, as a flying heli has a slight tilt, maybe this tilt has something to do with it, that's why you have to dial it out in the software,

Just my 2c, maybe completely wrong,

You have to remember that your frame might be perfect level .. And that is eyeing it perfect not really with a bubble level.

The Mems gyro is going on gravity and wants perfect level

And gyro tape. Your tape might and usually is not ever perfect level. A bubble in the tape is a tilt one way or the other. Keeping all that in mind, a slight drift is more than expected. And that's why you tune it out. You let the gyro tell you which way is level. :)

And what you say about heli being tilted when flying, that's torque ... So yes gyros already have that compensated in them. :)

It's all setup

Once trimmed no drift

Last edited:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
And no damage actually except my landing gear cause it was a hard landing (my stupid mistake)

Actually flew three more packas after . Just had to sort of prop the landing gear somehow

pvolcko

I've done a few tests of the SL feature, nothing from any high angle flight or inverted, but from various directions of moderate angle flight. So far I've had good results. I haven't trimmed it out to perfect hover, but it does work for me, too.

Others clearly have issues with it. Be it defective hardware or perhaps a software bug for some mounting orientations but not others.

BTW, Gaba, what orientation and position do you have your Ikon in? I'm running forward of main shaft, servo plugs back, top up.

Last edited:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Mines 180 degrees to yours in front also

One guy at field had it on the side of his 450 under and behind the main gear .. Lol

Abd he checked his SL and it worked hahahahha

That was surprising to me as the vibrations are a lot there

pvolcko

I'm wondering if some people are mounting too close to strong magnetic fields (or even the power wires from ESC to motor) and that's screwing with accelerometer sensors in the Ikon? I'd love to know why some people are having such radically bad SL behavior.

pvolcko

Heh. If it is a bug in the software or some kind of installation issue, yeah it could be determined. If it is some hit or miss manufacturing thing, you'll need a pile of them to test with. :)

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
Glad you posted this. The SL feature has saved my Goblin three times, it has paid off. its why the best X all came off my birds. just put in a new order for the T700. actually the will be my first test on T600 remaiden.

Last edited:

Derek

In my local area, I've not heard anyone knock the Ikon. The few people I know that have it really like it. I enjoyed your video, Gaba! Very very cool!!! I think I'll be looking to get an Ikon in the future.

stokke

I've had the BeastX, 3GX and Ikon. The Ikon is in my opinion the best FBL controller out there ATM. I'd like to note I haven't tried the V-bar though.

Although I always take care to set up my geometry perfect, the Ikon self-level is not perfectly level - so I end up with a drift. But I'm sure I can make it behave if I just try to.

xokia

Problem isnt with getting SL to work. It does work, its the consistentcy that it works at. The drift you can dial out but on my 300x it would constantly start drifting again. This has to do with vibes, all of the accelaration based rescues or SL have this problem. You have to have a perfectly vibe free heli for them to work. The problem with the Ikon is that it doesnt have a way to help you track down the vibes or even tell you if vibes are an issue. These can be very minor vibes that you cant detect by looking at it. Skookum has a vibe log that expert users are able to look at and usually tell you exactly where the vibe is coming from. I dont know if ikon has added this feature yet but they didnt have it when I had one.

The Ikon has potential but I still prefer my HC by a long shot, it recuses upright or inverted at the push of a switch. I am up to 4 of them now IMO its the best FBL controller on the market currently.

Awesome that you got it working I suspected it would work better on the bigger helis.

Last edited:

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
Correct! the IKON may not have all the great features as the HC but for the price and well setup it is worth the investment of $224. I have them on all my birds. Besides setting up the SL there are alot of features to program to your style of flying, but for the initial setup it flies great for the beginner pilot. as of the vibes like GABA said these nitro helis will produce them like crazy...but I have no issues with mine. yes I doubled my tape for just to make sure.

Top Bottom