Trucks Tmaxx Wheel Alignment

bigone5500

For some reason my rear wheels look like they are toe-out really bad. I want to check this. How can I do it the redneck way?

Tony

Staff member
I use tools made for this, but you can also use a tape measure and a speed square. Also, make sure your steering knuckle balls that screw into the end of your A-Arms are screwed all the way in. I also cover this in this video.

bigone5500

So now I have to get the other wheel back to factory settings and adjust the toe in. I drove it hard the last time. Not sure if any of the flips or crashes could have got it so out of adjustment.

Tony

Staff member
It could have. Another way you can do this is to put a straight edge on the rear tire and match it up with the front tire (basically this will give you 0 toe) and then go in a turn or 3 to add toe in on each side. I will cover this in the video that I still need to shoot lol.

bigone5500

As for the camber, when I put a ruler/square on the table and it touches the bottom of the tire, I should have how much gap at the top? 1/16"?

I need to get a couple gauges for this thing...

Tony

Staff member
Yea, as long as you have a little camber it will be fine. I would probably go 1/8" though, but that is better for cornering.

Tony

Staff member
Looks a little small, but yes, that is what I have. Also, get one of these. Mine is for a car and I have to put a rod on it for the monster trucks, with this one, it is made for the large wheels.

Amazon product

bigone5500

I just checked the toe on my rear wheels and the back side is 321mm and the front side is 345mm. Waaaay off.

Tony

Staff member
You also need to verify that you are equal on each wheel (this is where lining them up with the front wheels comes in) otherwise the truck will dog track.

And no, I don't have a part number right now. Hell I don't even know where that toe gauge is lmao.

bigone5500

This is what the rear looks like. I took out the thick spacers from the shocks to achieve this. I assume the drive shafts are in order?

15275447942163407027419364546061.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Move the bottom of the shocks out one hole to lower it down a little more. The ideal stance is for the driveshafts to be straight across and parallel to the ground. If you do a lot of jumping, then leave it just as is. If you bash around and have fun, them move the lower shocks.

and for the alignment, you will not touch anything on the front end. Put a straight edge on the rear tire directly in the middle of the tire where the wheel nut is so that it is touching both front and back of the tire. Now, adjust the turnbuckle for that wheel until the rod that is sticking out to the front comes up and just touches the sidewalls (plural, you want it touching both so you know it is perfectly in line and will track straight) and then take the rod off and add about 1.5 complete turns to the turnbuckle to increase the toe in. Then do the same for the other wheel.

It sounds complicated, and it much better explained in a video, I just don't have the time right now to do is, and it is towards the end of the series since it is part of the setup process.

bigone5500

I went ahead and ordered the RPM Monster camber gauge and toe in gauge today. I think that will give much better results than my 6" rulers and straight edge. They will be here friday so I should be able to run it this weekend. I'd like to try and find a vacant baseball field to romp around in.

Tony

Staff member
Hope you have some fun with it. What you need to find is a BMX track. Those are the best places for those trucks. Just have spare parts handy lmao.

Top Bottom