1. If you would like to get rid of these banners and the ads within the posts, all you have to do is sign up and they will go away!
  2. Welcome to Rc-Help, are you here looking for the PDF Plans? They are located in the store in the tab above, but you must be signed in to access that part of the site. It only takes a second to sign up!
  3. Like Us On Facebook!
    Hello Guest, it occurred to us during that last server failure that we had no way of informing the members of the site of the failure and I would like to invite you to like us on facebook so that you can get updates if the site happens to go down again. We don't post much over there unless we are updating the members so we will not flood your feed like some places do. Just click on Like and then allow notifications and that's it. See you there soon!

Click Here To Rc-Help's Facebook page!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, I see you are not signed up on our forum yet. Did you know Registration is FREE and is only a couple clicks away? You can even sign in from Facebook, Twitter or Google+ for your convenience! So what are you waiting for, CLICK HERE to join in on the conversation!

Trucks Tmaxx Transmission Troubles

Discussion in 'Cars, Trucks, Boats' started by thisoldtmaxx, May 11, 2020.

< Need Help Choosing Expensive Rc Cars | What's The Name Of This Car >
  1. thisoldtmaxx

thisoldtmaxx New Member

Greetings!

I bought a t maxx 3.3 from the Craigslist that had some driveline issues. Ended up being a snapped primary shaft. (5393) noted there was some play in the bearing bore in the case sides. Didn’t think it was an issue, but f if I know. After replacing the shaft, got it running and shortly (maybe a tank of run time) the shaft snapped again. This time it also exploded a bearing, making me think it was a binding issue not an abuse issue, and that the bore maybe a larger contributor to the issue then first guessed. So on this replacing, I put some threadlock as a kind of shim for the bearings. When it’s nice again I’ll see If that holds up.

The tmaxx came with a rdlogics transmission case.

So I guess my question is, what’s a good good source for a transmission case? And are ceramic bearings worth the cost?

I’m not too rough it, mainly just pull a rope and a ball for the dog.

thanks !
    Chris

those are pictures of the snapped rods and the last transmission repair.

2. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

Only time I have seen a primary shaft snap like this is if the slipper was way too tight and there was a lot of load put onto the transmission, or if there was binding somewhere in the drivetrain, or both.

3. thisoldtmaxx

thisoldtmaxx New Member

Seems right. The slipper I didn’t note when I originally took it apart, but it was loose for the second go.

Any thoughts on who to get a case from?

also found your forum via your YouTube channel. That was riddled with useful information and also from if, I think, you watch Ave. A lot of overlapping vocabulary

chris

4. D.O.G.

D.O.G. Well-Known Member Goblin 380 Supporter

Disable
  5. thisoldtmaxx

thisoldtmaxx New Member

Hey d.o.g.

thanks for the suggestion! I may of phrased the question poorly however. Looking for manufacture suggestions on the transmission case halves. The one it current has is a rdlogics. Should I get another of those or is integy a better option? Lol or are those beginner bait companies and I should get an oem case?

here are shots of the questionable bore

thanks for your time
    Chris

6. Tony

I honestly would get an OEM case, the plastic one. They have some give to them and you know, since they are injection molded, they will be spot on as far as geometry goes. That is where I would start to rule out the case. If you are still breaking shafts, if you have a properly set slipper, I'm not sure where I would go next.

7. thisoldtmaxx

thisoldtmaxx New Member

Sounds like a plan. May have to order one. Local and semi-local stores seem out of 5181

thanks !

8. thisoldtmaxx

thisoldtmaxx New Member

The rona is effecting delivery times looking at the 25th before everything gets here.

be safe guys.
    Chris

9. Tony

Booooooooooo!!! Hoping it all gets here soon so that you can narrow down the issues.

< Need Help Choosing Expensive Rc Cars | What's The Name Of This Car >