Misc Tips for removing screws?

RatHat

I have a single hex screw stuck fast with the hex completely burred. Does anyone have any tips for removing stuck screws?

treff

This is an age old problem. Cheap metal and strong arms LOL. One tip I can pass on is to heat up the screw using a soldering iron and usually this is enough to release any thread loc. Of course
this only applies to screws into metal. If you can get a pair of grips on it that mays help. One other solution is to try to get a flat blade screwdriver into the the hex head. It is difficult but I hope my suggestions help some. Cheers

Slobberdog

if its truly a problem and you cant do any of the above I have used in the past a screw grip liquid that has particles of grit in it that grips to what is left of the profile in the screw head

cml001

I have a small extractor I got from Fastenal.. I for get the size, but I've used it to get out 2.5mm hex screws from my 450 before... It's hit or miss really as I have had a few it wouldn't grab onto.. But they r cheap and u just use ur drill w it and back it out. Another way I have found is that is there is frame beneath the head of the screw and it counter part... Use a drill bit the size of the screw shank/thread, but smaller than the screw head.. Gently drill down to the bottom of the head and it will ride up on the drill bit like a doughnut.. Then use pliers or vise grips and unscrew the remaing that is threaded in... But u must make sure there will be a bit left on it to grab otherwise u will be leaving in the threads. Kind of a last resort move but it's always worked well for me. I hope I explained well enough and not confused u... Guess I'll do a video next time I run into this one... Anyhow good luck bud

- - - Updated - - -

Oh... If there is frame under the head.. Once the head has been drilled off leaving the shank/thread flush with the frame.. U can pull the frame out and that length of thread left(the width of the frame, about 2mm) is enough to grab. It's early.. Hope I explained this right... I need coffee

RatHat

Bought a Dremel clone today, and got the screw out without a problem. Tiny little gouge in the top plate though, still a bit too heavy handed I guess.

Top Bottom