Micro Tips And Help For First Trick?

Fastfreddie

ok so I’ve been flying my xk k110 for 3 months now and I have basic flight down pretty good as in I don’t crash hardly at all anymore unless I try doing new things. I’ve been practicing figure 8’s and other pattern flying with mediocre success.

So what I’m longing to do is my first flip but so far every attempt has been a total failure so what I’ve been practicing is first of all just flying in 3D mode to get the feel of it which has come along well and I’ve been practicing what you might call a quarter flip where I put the Heli nose down tail up I guess in a nose down stall then bring it back.

I can do this with no problem and once I even had it inverted for about 2 seconds then crash and burn.
So what I’m asking is there any secrets to this or is there any other maneuvers I could be practicing to prepare for a forward flip ? If anyone has any tips that they can throw me I would really appreciate it or am I just to early in the game to be trying something like this?

Matt

For the XK K110 put it in advanced mode then just go up pretty high and jam the elevator stick forward. Do it over grass in case of a crash.

Get good with tail in hover and forward flight so recovering from the flip will be easier.

Last edited:

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey Fastfreddie. I can suggest and it will save you money in the long run, especially if you plan on getting into bigger helis, is a flight simulator. Practice on that til you can do in your sleep. As for IRL, it's like everything else, practice,practice and more practice once you get pass the mental block.

murankar

Staff member
Practice being inverted. Which requires you to flip. You should be practicing on a SIM or buying a nice stock of spare parts.

Tony

Staff member
I will 'third' on getting a sim. It will save you more money than it will cost to invest in in the long run. First, orientations in all 4 directions. Tail in, Left and Right side in and Nose in. Once you are good with those, Practice your flips and rolls. It's all about collective timing to keep them smooth. Once you are good with flips from all 4 orientations in all 4 directions, try stopping the flip when completely inverted. You can do this by doing a flip or a roll. When you flip, forward or backwards, doesn't matter, your elevator will stay the same, but the rudder and ailerons will be backwards. If you roll, right or left, doesn't matter, your aileron will be the same, but elevator and rudder will be reversed.

I will stop there. That is the basics to start with and if you are new, it will more than likely take a month or more to perfect just those moves.

Matt

Exactly right to get a sim especially if getting into bigger helis. Saves a ton of money on parts when first learning on a sim. Patience or impatience is an issue with these helis. People watch some of the pros like Alan Szabo and wish they could do everything like he does. But don’t realize he was learning tail in hover at one point in his early career.. progressing step by step will help a bunch in the long run.

Matt

The Align Trex 150 is a wicked nice micro heli that flys like the bigger ones. Highly recommended as a micro heli.

Sim? or Spare Parts? Get the spare parts nothing wrong with sims I prefer hands on and sims visual eh not quite the same as seeing it real time and the handling I have found not exactly the same conditions outside/gymnasium differ from a sim. light breeze/crosswinds and temps affect the way a real copter flies, handles.

Tony

Staff member
KFB, you are right (crap, now I want chicken lmao), the sim is not exactly the same. But for preliminary learning it is an invaluable tool to get used to what the helicopter is going to do. Take the backflip for example. It lets you see what the helicopter is going to do when you first pull back on the cyclic. If you add too much negative or not enough, or the other way, too much positive and not reducing it. I will always suggest a sim because in the long run, I believe it will definitely reduce your overall parts cost.

But I do 100% get where you are coming from, and there is definitely a time when you need to put the sim away and grab your helicopter and try it. Nerves go nuts, fingers shake and your brain is telling you to not do what you are thinking about doing lmao. It's an awesome feeling.

murankar

Staff member
I plus one that also.

I tend tiniest towards the sim being a muscle memory tool. Now I will also state is that if the sim model is not tuned correctly you will learn training scars. So unless you spend the time to tune both sim and real heli it may not be much more than a video game.

I still get training value just not maximized training value. Lets take piro rates for instance; if it for not match between sin and model you maybe relearning something like the timing of piro flips.

That's just my thoughts on it.

Fastfreddie

Thanks guys for all the information and I am glad to say that after getting a crappy sim on my iPad and totally destroying on heli I am happy to announce that today is officially the first time I’ve not only successfully did my first forward flip but I have been doing them them all day long and it is the most exciting thing I’ve ever done with my clothes on.

I will say all of you were right about the sim and no it doesn’t feel the same but it Did help me with timing and now not all my flips are looking clean but this is my first day and I can’t tell you guys how hooked I am on these things now and can’t wait to learn more.

I have been looking at the trex 150x but I don’t think I’m ready to step up to that one yet as far as learning tricks so I ordered another k110 because I feel for the price they are throw away heli’s After to many bad wrecks that I can learn on without feeling stressed about crashing.

Soon I’m going to take my 300x out I’m just trying to learn all I can first with this little k110.

Thank you everyone for all your input

murankar

Staff member
Nice to hear about your positive experience. Glad we were able to help guide you to your success.

My guess is the k110 and the align 150x are.close in size. The 150 should be repairable. Which means that a crash won't set you back a kit. It could but unlikely.

Then again your thinking about the 300. If your will to try a 300 then skip the 150 all together. I have something simular in my fleet. I have a 250 class and a 300 class. If I get the gaui flying then ill have the whole suite of small helis to work with.

Fastfreddie

Oh I have many parts for the xk k110 but it seems for that heli you can replace parts but if I have to many hard crashes I guess the electronics can’t take that much because I get things like the main motor rpm going up and down while the throttle isn’t moved and the tail will not hold at all.
It cost about the same price to replace the Circuit board and esc as it does for a new bonfire one. And yes the k110 and trex 150 are almost the same size but the xk cost $60 and the trex is $200.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
What's going on. @URI, you mention," I have a 250 class and a 300 class. If I get the gaui flying then ill have the whole suite of small helis to work with." the 450 and the X3L are about the same but different. There're in the same class...small helis correct? What would you consider the 500 helis? I've heard the big heli class doesn't start till the 550 series or is the 500 a big heli...just curious.

Tony

Staff member
That depends on if you are talking about the Align 500 (425mm) or something like the X5 or Goblin 500 with 500mm blades.

murankar

Staff member
In my opinion only small helis are 250 to 380. Mid size is anything in the 500 range: ie 500, 550 and 570. Over that is a large heli. Micros are under a 250.

The oxy 2 is a 250, the oxy 3 is a 300, the gaui x3 I have is either a 325 (450) or 360. If I get the lynx conversion I can go to 380. Problem is I am not interested in a 380 at the moment. Trying to keep my cell count at or below 4S. My oxy3 is a 4s and everything else will be 3s.

Top Bottom