Ticked off :O

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Like many another, I'm excited about the eclipses in Aug. I know Randy will have fantastic photos of this event and probably will share them with us :). I cant afford the high tech camera and gizmo to view this. I ordered glasses about a month ago from this place Science Supplies & Curriculum - STEM - Chemistry and recently I emailed them to ask, Where are my glasses and there response was "It's back ordered". Oh really... and when where you going to let me know? and will I get them for the eclipses ? There answer was the back order will be in the first week of Aug and you SHOULD get them in time. Yeah right, your lie tell it any way you want. They have no problem pulling the money out of my account the same day but they can't find the time to fire back an email stating that the glasses are on back order! I check the site today and they're still taking orders on back order glasses :( I just love when ANY company take your money and then forgets about you. If you do order glasses or anything else on line from any where, make sure they have the item in stock. Shoot the shipping was twice the amount of the glasses. It's a sad world we live in when everyone is out for them selves and screw you if they can. Just a little heads up.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Funny thing, I just got an e-mail from that company after talking to them and telling them how I feel. The e-mail stated the glasses are on back order. DUHHHH! You couldn't of told me sooner :) How easy they forget after they have you cash in hand.

Geena

Staff member
Go down to home depot, and get a shade 10 welding lens 4.5"X 5.25". Hold it in front of your camera/phone, and take your photos. I have one that I have been using for years. Works great.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I thank you very much for that information Geena :) I will do that because I can't trust that company to deliver the glasses on time.

RandyDSok

I certainly wouldn't go out and buy a low end DSLR like I've got just to get shots of the eclipse UNLESS I was already interested in taking pictures like I do now ( or more actually ). Most folks should be just fine with their smartphone and/or point and shoot camera for most photography things they'd like to shoot.

If that is all you have... then you aren't out of luck to get some cool shots of the eclipse. A couple of pieces of construction paper or lightweight cardboard ( at least one being white ) is all you'd need.

Just post a pin hole in one piece and then put it in front of the other white piece and move it out ( in the direction of the Sun ) until the Sun shows projected the size you want onto the rear piece of paper/cardboard.... Then use your camera to take a shot of the projected image. This would take 2-3 people to do it.... one ( or two ) to hold the papers and one to take the picture of the projected image.

Here is another method that would be even easier ... where it mentions placing your head, just place the camera or cut out one side of the box and shoot the pic from the side a bit...

pinhole-projector-homemade.png

RandyDSok

Go down to home depot, and get a shade 10 welding lens 4.5"X 5.25". Hold it in front of your camera/phone, and take your photos. I have one that I have been using for years. Works great.

Well... probably not good for a phone/smartphone.... they just don't have the optical resolution to take a decent picture where the projection method can make up for that... It'd probably be ok with a decent point and shoot as long as it has a decent sized diameter lens on it ( and 10x optical magnification would help also a lot )...

Here is a shot I just took of the sun using the same filter material I used with my DSLR ... ignore the differences in magnification ( cropping it would effectively magnify the pic ) and look more at the lack of detail....

small_sun.jpg

RandyDSok

One other bit of info....

During the minutes ( usually about 2 ) of totality... you don't need a filter and in fact if you want to get pics of the corona ... you don't want one. Just remember it's a brief moment so if you are looking at it, be ready to avert your eyes quickly and/or put on you solar glasses or use the welding lens Geena mentioned. Just be careful at this point, no need to cause yourself any harm.

Tony

Staff member
I was going to suggest the exact same thing as Geena, but I was going to say get a #9 lens.

RandyDSok

The recommended grade of welder's lens' is actually a #14 according what I've read ( had to look it up to verify my memory first though )...

I'll repeat what I said in another thread... Always place the filter in front of whatever you are viewing with and not behind it... ie in the front of binoculars and not at the eyepiece side. Otherwise the magnification of the device will intensify the light causing it to melt, burn through or break the filter you are using.

Tony

Staff member
Is it a 14? Wow, I didn't think it was that dark. I think back in school it was a 10 that we were using. Hell, when I weld (MIG) I have my helmet set on a 9 lol. But, it is a cheap helmet and any darker and I can't see the puddle lmao. Thank you harbor freight lmao.

RandyDSok

Is it a 14? Wow, I didn't think it was that dark. I think back in school it was a 10 that we were using. Hell, when I weld (MIG) I have my helmet set on a 9 lol. But, it is a cheap helmet and any darker and I can't see the puddle lmao. Thank you harbor freight lmao.

I don't think welding creates as intense light as the Sun... not to mention the UV, IR and other spectrum's that are produced.

The filter I use on my camera only lets through 1/100000th of the light and is still plenty bright to see the Sun

RandyDSok

No need to wait for Geena... ( I see how you pawned that off on her... :D )

Copied from elsewhere ( if you want to do the math etc )

The shade number (SN for short) is based on the optical density of the glass in the visible region. If the fractional transmission of light through the glass is T, then

OD = -log T
SN = 1 + (7/3) OD

Consider, for example, a filter that blocks 99.9% of the visible. T = 0.001 and hence OD = 3, and SN = 1 + (7/3)*3 = 8. This would thus be typical for a #8 welder's glass.

If you plug SN=14 into the formula above, you can show that the OD is 39/7, or 5.57... A #14 welder's glass transmits about 3 millionths of the light hitting it.

Note that this formula only applies to transmission in the visible; for IR and UV the specifications are a little more complicated, and not given by a nice neat formula like this. In the US the requirements for welders' glasses are given in the ANSI publication listed in the references. In general the tolerances for UV and IR are not quite as strict as those in the visible, which is part of the reason astronomers recommend the darkest shades of welders' glass for solar viewing.

Tony

Staff member
I only pawned it off on her because she does this stuff for a living lmao. she should know it lol.

Top Bottom