Spektrum Throttle Curves

Heliman450

Hi all,

I've been setting up my new GX8G2 and have got stuck on throttle curves for my new quad-copter. The manual doesn't actually tell me how to set up multiple curves using a switch, only that the curve must be active before editing it (p33).

I can set up to four curves (0, 1, 2 & 3) but must enter the parameter via the menu and select the curve using the scroll wheel. When I select a switch from the options, it doesn't change the displayed curve.

Incidentally, it seems a bit strange that one can programme four curves but there are no four-position switches available.

Heliman450

Hi again,

In the absence of any feedback on my query, I'll add some of my own observations as I've been working through and testing the various options. I'd appreciate any dialogue that ensues..............

1. I've decided upon a three point gradient (curve isn't really the correct description).
2. Currently, I've got the same setting on each of the three flight modes as the Tx. defaults to curve one each time it's switched off and on again. This avoids any confusion when I'm doing my experimentation, I always know which curve is active when I switch on.
3. My second point is set to 20% stick position with 45% output and 100% stick has 66% output. This results in an acceptable rate of elevation increase and not too much stick movement to adjust elevation during flight.

Not related to throttle, however, it is related to the overall control for forward flight; I've set the Elevator to 35% in green and blue modes and 45% in red. I haven't done too much flying with red mode as I'm still getting used to the difference from my helis. In the hall where we fly, it isn't very big and we can have five or six flying at one time so that's another thing for me to get used to.

Looking forward to some response.

Smoggie

Phil,

is the model of Tx you mention correct ('GX8 G2)?.. Or is it maybe the Spektrum DX8 G2?

Smoggie

On the DX8 G2 you dont need the curve to be active to edit it. In the throttle curve setup screen you just select the flight mode that you want to edit with the scroll wheel then edit it as desired.

Heliman450

Hi Steve, thanks for getting back to me. I copied the text below from page 33. Unless they're as confused as me, it clearly states that it must be active. I'm not too concerned about this aspect for I reckon that it must mean just displayed. Logic says it must be to see what you're doing LoL.

"If you program multiple throttle curves and you wish to edit one of the curves, that curve must be active in the Throttle Curve screen before you can make any changes."

My main "concern" is that I can't programme a curve for each flight mode and it is selected when I move the switch, even though I've set it for `Switch B`. I have to switch the flight mode and then enter the menu item, select another curve to go to another option. It isn't so important with the Q-Copter, but would be more relevant for a helicopter.

Smoggie

By 'active' they must just mean that you have selected the curve in question with the scroll wheel. You dont have to activate that actual flight mode with the flight mode switch in order to edit the curve.

The throttle curves do change when you change flight modes, that's exactly how i vary headspeed on all of my helis. If you are in the throttle curve screen and you change flight modes there is a little 'tick' below the flight mode designation (H, N, 1, 2) that highlights which flight mode is currently selected. The actual curve displayed wont change though. The displayed curve only changes if you select it with the scroll wheel for editing.

If you are stuck and you wanted a heli setup on the DX8 G2 I could save off one of my heli setup files which you could upload to see how I've got it setup.. but it's pretty easy to do from scratch to be honest.

Last edited:

Heliman450

Hi Steve,

I'll have a look at it later this evening............ busy right now.

I'm thinking to rescue my Beam E4 from the dust bunnies and use the DX8 G2 for it rather than my JR ProPo as was the case previously. No problem with the setting up, thanks for the offer.

Smoggie

Yeah, get that Beam in the air. Too nice a heli to be gathering dust (says the man with a shed full of helis half of which haven't turned a blade this year!)

Heliman450

Hi again Steve, I'm sure that I've missed something but at the moment, the instruction book isn't helping me. Here goes...................

I don't have a switch that will give four positions as you describe (H, N, 1 & 2). I've programmed switch 'B' to change the three flight modes from the Q-Copter. Incidentally, it's set up for Acro as per the Q-Copter manual.

When I move through the three positions of switch 'B' they are shown in the top left corner of the graph's box (Pos 0, 1 & 2). With the Switch active at 'B' a little graphic appears with the three positions shown as boxes and the indicator moves left to right underneath as the switch moves. As I scroll through the four curves (0, 1, 2 & 3) boxes 0 and 1 show as solid black background in the graphic but not 2 and 3. However, the display alters to show the curve for each one. Note that I made a slight difference in each curve to identify them.

The D/R and Expo graphs do change along with the flight switch, so it seems a bit strange that the throttle curve display doesn't.

Smoggie

Flight mode 'H' is throttle hold, so you activate that one with the throttle hold switch. The other three modes are activated from your three position switch. There are more modes supported but you need to use an extra switch. Three plus hold has always been enough for me.

Sound like it's working fine. It's normal (for a Spektrum Tx) that the throttle curve display does not change when you move the flight mode switch, to display a curve you have to select it with the scroll wheel. It's really not an issue as you need to use the scroll wheel to edit the curves anyway.

Top Bottom