General Throttle Curves, Pitch Curves, and Headspeed and Soft Start

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
I just read something and the light bulb went on in my old brain. Paul made a statement yesterday in my build thread which made me start thinking and doing some additional research. I realize I've been flying helis totally in the dark. Please correct me if I'm wrong here…...

I started as a kid flying airplanes and on the Tx the throttle was for going fast or slowing down by increasing or decreasing the propeller speed. Now, flying helis the "prop" is on top and a new set of rules comes into play. I don't have the whole story here but this is my basic understanding of how these things work together. I think coming to this realization will help me pilot my birds as well as setup my build.

Up until this moment I have flown helis by using or thinking of the throttle for what it was or what I thought it was. I know that the throttle stick also controls collective but in my mind when the stick was at 0 the motor stopped and pitch was at whatever was set in the pitch curve for stick position 0, L or 1, (whatever your Tx uses). Again, in my mind, this is what happens: As I move the stick up the motor speeds up from 0 AND the pitch of the main rotor blades go positive (or negative) according to the pitch curve. In my tamed down (hover practice) pitch curve my 0 stick was +3 degrees pitch, ¼ stick +4, mid stick +5, ¾ stick +6, full stick +7. So, in this case as I moved my throttle stick up, the motor got faster and more positive pitch was applied to the main blades creating the necessary lift to take off and hover. At about mid stick the bird would lift off and hover. At mid stick I'm at 50% motor power and pitch is +5, which is, theoretically, where a heli will hover. And mine does after tweaking a degree or two. In turn, I was thinking that in order to go up (direction) give it more gas (throttle stick). To come down back off the gas (throttle stick). This is true; however, where I didn't make the connection is that the other and real reason the heli goes up and down: Main Rotor Blade Pitch. Ahhhhhh……...

Lately, I have been reading a lot about idle up settings and FBL setups because I am currently in the middle of a Goblin 630 build and I am at the point of setting up the electronics. However, I wasn't quite sure of what was meant by statements like, "I have my Flight Modes/Setups, IU1, IU2, IU3 at a head speed of 1800/2000/2250 so when I idle up I can do ………," "I had to increase my head speed……," "What pinion do I need to get a head speed of……," etc., etc. I wasn't sure what, why, or how idle up was being used. Again, prior to today, idle up wasn't a switch but a movement of my left throttle stick. Now, I am understanding that the aforementioned FMs are synonymous with IU1, IU2, IU3, and they refer to setups which are then mapped to a switch (only two FMs or IU1, IU2 are utilized if your Tx doesn't have a three position switch) when in a certain FM/Setup a constant head speed is very useful and necessary for 3D. Now, I am understanding that a FM 1 or IU1 at 1800 head speed, FM 2 or IU2 = 2000, and FM 3 or IU3= 2250 (arbitrary numbers for this writing) together with flat throttle curves of 100% across the board, 80%, etc., flying the heli becomes easier as, for all intents and purposes, once the motor starts, depending on how your Tx and devices are programed, the throttle stick only controls one thing: Collective Pitch.

Now it makes more sense……..Fast forward to flying and the simulator. I never got to the point of programming and utilizing a flat throttle curve, as stated above. Again, in my mind the motor should speed up with forward stick and slow down with backward stick. Now, I have sen the light and this is not necessarily so in the world of RC heli flying. What I came to understand this morning is that by setting a flat throttle curve of 100% the motor will run at top speed. This is where the governor comes in. By setting the governor, say for FM 1 at 1800, when in FM 1 (head speed of 1800) and a flat throttle curve of 100%, 100% = 1800 RPM no matter where the stick is, theoretically, of course. This means that as soon as you hit the throttle the bird either shakes itself apart trying to spool up or it shoots to the moon before you even know what happens……no, not really…..by programming the ESC to soft start the motor will spool up according to that setting and when it reaches the desired head speed as set in FM 1, you then control up and down with the throttle stick; however, not because the motor is spinning faster, as I thought prior to today, but because you are introducing positive or negative pitch to the main rotor blades with the movement of the stick……motor speed is constant. Once in the air you switch to FM 2 or IU2 and the main rotor blades spin faster and you are able to perform certain maneuvers without worrying about controlling motor speed, but only controlling collective pitch.

Certain flying maneuvers and helis require a faster or slower head speed depending on your flight style and build. So, by programming a faster or slower head speed for FM 2 or IU2, for example, set head speed at 2000, and a flat throttle curve of your choosing, you go faster and continue to control up and down with the throttle stick but by increasing or decreasing main rotor blade pitch not by motor speed. The same holds true for programming FM 3 or IU3 with a head speed of 2250. So, in a sense, the throttle stick really isn't throttle. You can think of it as a start stick. When you lift the stick off of 0 position (depending on your setup and programming), the motor starts and the blades begin to spin. Motor speed control is then handed over to the ESC, Throttle Curve, and Governor. The left stick then turns into the collective pitch range control stick.

As I backtrack and think about this a little, motor speed will help lift the heli; however, main rotor blade pitch is what creates the lift. With no lift you can run the motor until she blows and the bird will not budge. It will shake itself apart but will not lift off the ground. This is where pitch comes in. Together with pitch you need the blades spinning at a certain RPM to create the "lift" necessary to fly the heli; without the blades spinning, you can introduce positive pitch all day long and the bird will sit there. You need both for lift to be created.

There are uses for a stepped (correct???) throttle curves i.e. 0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100% as well as flat curves i.e. 100%, 100%, 100%, 100%, 100% depending on your flying style and what you want to accomplish with your FM's and bird. But, a pitch curve of -10, -5, 0, +5, +10 (degrees of pitch) with a "stepped" throttle curve will not work because when the throttle stick is moved two things happen. At 0 stick position the motor is stopped and the main blades are pitched at -10 degrees. When the stick is moved forward the blades are actually pushing down on the bird until 50% stick is reached. Keep moving up and the blades begin to be introduced with positive pitch; however, the motor is almost at 75% of power and once there is enough pitch to create lift, the bird rockets up and out of control. On the other end of the spectrum, once in the air and you begin to move the stick backward, two things happen: The motor slows down AND you introduce negative pitch on the main blades and the heli will descend very quickly when you hit mid stick and half power. in other words she will drill down into the dirt before you can blink your eyes. However, a pitch curve of -10, -5, 0, +5, +10 will work with a flat throttle curve because head speed is maintained and as blade pitch changes lift remains because motor speed is constant. That being said, when you move from + to - pitch for inverted flight. As the bird flips over negative pitch turns to positive pitch when the bird is upside down. Due to the fact that you are only controlling pitch with the "throttle" stick the blades are still creating enough lift because the motor speed does not decrease as the stick is moved down.

Tony

Staff member
I noticed that you stated IU1 as 100%, but then stated something about IU2 with a higher head speed. Remember, you will want something much lower than 100% in IU1. Also remember, for those that have a 3 position switch, you have N IU1 IU2. There is really no IU3. The only way you can really have that is if you have a flat curve on N, but it's still N. I know Lee flies like this. He uses throttle hold to shut his helicopter down.

But you are correct, the "Collective" is what gets the helicopter off the ground and the "Cyclic" is what moves it around, both by varying the amount of pitch on the blades.

Below is what I highly suggest everyone start with for throttle and pitch curves. Once familiar with the helicopter, adjust them to what you see fit.

Throttle Curves.

Normal: 0 40 65 65 65
IU 1 : 80 80 80 80 80
IU 2 : 100 100 100 100 100

Pitch Curves

Normal: 46 48 50 75 100
IU 1 : 0 25 50 75 100
IU 2 : 0 25 50 75 100

The reason for the Normal throttle curve is to get that stable head speed. Mid stick should always be 50% pitch AND 0º pitch on the blades, ALWAYS. This will allow the tail to hold much stronger because you are no longer varying the power of the motor causing tail kick-out's.

The pitch curve for normal is like it is because you do not want full negative pitch in normal mode. This will put a max of about -2º of pitch at low stick, just enough to hold it to the ground when you land and keep the wind from tipping you over (called translational lift).

I hope this makes sense. Still on my first cup of coffee...

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
Hahahaha! Makes perfect sense……I'm working on cup number 3!

Thanks for clarifying. I see where I was wrong. !00% is 100%, which equals your top targeted head speed at IU2. Let me see if I'm picking' up what your latin' down……….100% is the governed head speed, correct??? To set the throttle curve in IU1 you then do a trial and error kind of thing to find out what percentage of 100% equals your desired IU1 RPM??? Do this by putting a tach on the rotor blades and making small percentage adjustments within the Tx until you hit your target IU1 head speed. Enter this percentage into the TX for your flat throttle curve, correct?

So in the example you cited above. Let's say the top target head speed is 2000 RPM. The governor is set to 2000 and on the Tx in IU2 100% = 2000 RPM, correct? Your head speed at IU 1 would be 80% or 1600 RPM and it follows respectively for the Normal throttle curve.

Tony

Staff member
Lets say you have a 3500kv motor (kv=rpm per volt) Lets say you are running a 121 tooth main gear and a 12 tooth pinion. Your battery is a 3s 2200mah, you know, all typical 450 heli stuff. Below is the equation to figure out head speed.

(kv*voltage) / (main/pinion) = Head speed

So in this case, you will have an equation like this...

(3500*12.6) / (121 / 12) = 4375

Now you are saying, that is a really high head speed, but we are not done yet. And by the way, an 11.1 volt 3s battery has a MAX voltage of 12.6 which is the number you want to ALWAYS use to calculate head speed.

Now, you need to take into account effeciency of the motor/esc which is about 85%, maybe 90% if you have good electronics. So in this case, you will have something that looks like this...

(3500*12.6) / (121 / 12) * .85 = 3718.75

As you can see, the head speed is still about 218 rpm above what is suggested for max head speed of 3500 for the 450 size helicopters. But, this is the unloaded head speed at 0º pitch. However, this is the head speed that it will snap to when you go to 0 pitch. So in this equation, we need to drop our pinion size. Lets say to 11

(3500*12.6) / (121 / 11) * .85 =3407.7272.

Now we are within out head speed.

So you want to talk governors. Okay, now it will get a little tricky. With a governor, you want what's called a "Head", meaning you need power above that of your max head speed. The equations above are for full throttle, no governor. If you were wanting to run a governor, then you need to figure out where your max head speed is. So we will start with the 3718 that we got with the 12T pinion. Now we need to figure out where our throttle curve needs to be to reach 3500 rpm

If we do the math, you will find that after you take all of that out, 94% throttle curve will grant you 3495.625 rpm. However, this only leaves 6% Head for the motor to power out of a bogging situation, you really want at least 10%, but if you are not doing hard smack 3D, this will be fine.

If you are doing smack, then you would more than likely want to go up to a 13 tooth pinion. I will let you do the math on a 13T to figure out how to get close to 3500 rpm.

So, now that we know we need a 94% throttle curve for max head speed with a 12 tooth pinion, now we need to figure out how to reach the other head speeds. On a 450, something along the lines of 2800 / 3200 / 3500 is what you are shooting for for Normal / IU1 / IU2.

I would get more into the governor setup, but this is different on each setup and I don't want to confuse you anymore than I already have in this thread lmao.

Let me know if this makes sense.

pvolcko

There are different types of governors:

1) No governor: Your throttle curve defines what throttle input the ESC sees at all times. In this case, it is difficult to achieve and maintain a precise headspeed. You can get in the ballpark in hover through trial and error, but once you start flying around the headspeed will drift from the target due to changing load conditions on the drive train. An attempt to compensate for that in IU modes is to use a "V" curve, such as 100 95 90 95 100, which will increase throttle for increased negative and positive pitch of a -100 50 0 50 100 pitch curve.

2) Throttle input setpoint governor: That's not what it is actually called, but that is a sense of what happens. The throttle input from the Tx will be used by the governor (either built into the ESC or the FBL or a standalone governor circuit) to indicate the target RPM you want to govern to. The Tx would be setup with a flat throttle curve at a given throttle level, the level of the curve is determined through some trial and error and perhaps guided by the setup instructions for the governor. As loading conditions change in flight the governor will attempt to maintain the headspeed indicated by the throttle input.

3) Set RPM: In this type, probably the most common in use today on larger electric helis, you program in specific target headspeeds (usually up to three different settings). The governor will assign these in ascending order to three different input throttle values, usually something like 30%, 60% and 100%. You would then program your Tx to have Normal with a flat 30% curve, IU1 with a flat 60% an IU2 with a flat 100% curve. When this is offered there is usually a soft start feature included, otherwise the motor would strip out drive gears or belts jumping straight to a governed motor speed right off the bat from a dead stop. If there is no soft start feature then they usually will treat the 0-30% range of throttle as ungoverned so you can get it spooled up on a slightly modified normal throttle curve (0-30-30-30-30, instead of 30-30-30-30-30). In general, though, you start the heli by flipping out of throttle hold and stop it by flipping on throttle hold with this kind of governor setup.

All of these are applicable to nitro, gas, or electric motor setups with some variations as needed for fuel vs electric power.

And there are variations. For instance a governor may treat 0-70 as a normal un-governed range, but 70-100 will trigger a governed mode. That 70-100 range may allow for variable setting of headspeed similar to type #2 above, or it may trigger a pre-set headspeed like in #3.

In my case I setup my governor helis (550X, TRex 700E, Goblin 700 and Goblin 500) to use a SetRPM mode. All flight modes are governed. My throttle curves are all flat, including normal. I turn on and off with Throttle Hold. (I also use a throttle cut button on some models due to auto-rotation bailout features, ignore that for the moment though. :) ) And I use soft-start features on all of them.

The Blade 300X actually has one of those "variation" type governors built into the stock ESC. 0-70ish percent is ungoverned, above 70 sticks to a pre-set motor speed (unadjustale). If you start up in a 70+ flat curve it has a built in soft-start function. I use a typical normal curve and then have IU1 as a flat curve in that 70+ range.

Tony: Guess we were typing at the same time. All good info. One thing though: headroom, not head. I thought this was a family safe site. Jeez. :)

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
With all that I knew I was going to type, I figured I would leave out the "room" lmao. Didn't know there was a specific room for that... :chuckles:

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
Okay, here it goes.....

First, I just want to clarify that the 3500kv has nothing to do with the suggested RPM of 3500 for 450 sized helis, correct; this is just a coincidence in your example?

The suggested Head Speeds for a 450 bird are 2800/3200/3500. With a 13T pinion we have (3500*12.6) / (121/13) * .85 = 4030 Max Head Speed. However, the suggested max is 3500 so this puts us at an 86% throttle curve (3500 / 4030). 86% is max, which gives us a 14% "head". Hehehehe......

So, for our three setups we have:
Normal: (suggested target of 2800). 69% throttle curve (2800 / 4030) and RPM of 2780 (.69*4030)
IU1: (suggested target of 3200). 79% throttle curve (3200 / 4030) and RPM of 3183 (.79*4030)
IU2: (suggested target of 3500). 86% throttle curve (3500 / 4030) and RPM of 3465 (.86*4030)

Now, do the above calculated percentages coincide with the Tx percentages when programming a Throttle Curve? I would think not because the Tx programmed percentages refer to amount of stick travel i.e. 25% means the stick has moved 25% of its travel or is at 1/4 stick. This 25% movement or signal then needs to be defined in the ESC or FBL. The Tx doesn't know what speed that is. It seems to follow that this is where the governor comes in. In Paul's 3rd governor option, when the throttle curve in the Tx is programmed at 100% the governor translates this to whatever is set, in this example, head speed of 3465 (86% of our calculated max of 4030). Likewise a Tx percentage of 60% would give us a head speed of 3183 and 30% a head speed of 2780. So the Tx throttle curves would be N = 30-30-30-30-30; IU1 = 60-60-60-60-60; and IU2 = 100-100-100-100-100. Start and stop with the TH switch. If a soft start option is not utilized or available then, as Paul indicated, the N curve would have to be 0-30-30-30-30 in order to spool up slow and not damage the bird.

With the iKON 0-25% stick movement is ungoverned; 26%- 49% it will use speed set in N (30% flat), and 50%-75% it will use the speed set in IU1 (60% flat), and 76%-100% it will use the speed set in IU2 (100% flat). If a soft start is not programmed in the ESC then the N curve in the Tx must be 0-30-30-30-30. (this comes from the iKON software wizard) So to program the iKON for this 450 example in the governor setup I would type in for Speed 1: 2780; Speed 2: 3183; and Speed 3: 3465. Let's say the ESC has soft start programmed. My Tx throttle curves would be N: 30-30-30-30-30; IU1: 60-60-60-60-60; IU2: 100-100-100-100-100 and use the throttle hold switch for starting and stopping the motor.

Am I on the right path???

pvolcko

You could also opt, at least to start with, to use the governor capability build into the CC Edge ESC you're using. The CC governor is pretty good, probably second only to the Kontronic ESC governor. The Ikon governor is better than CC's, but it may be easier to setup for a first go around.

Otherwise, you seem to be on the right path! :)

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
I'll check that out. I have been studying the iKON stuff this past week and plan to start looking into how to setup the ESC. I watched a video by Chris Sexton on howe to program the CC ESC's to work with the iKON but his programming left all the govering, soft start, etc. to the iKON.

cml001

I saw that video too... Honestly I had more ?'s after watching it.. Suppose I'd have to have hands on to better grasp it.. Typically my style... Tell me all day and I'm still lost.. Get my hands on it one time and I'm good to go.. Most of the time. Lol. Use the ikon... Seems that's a good gov from what I here.

pvolcko

That is how I'm running mine. If I have an Ikon on it, then I run Ikon gov, soft start, auto-rotation recovery, etc. I use CC gov, soft start, auto-rot recovery on my 7200BX equipped helis.

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
I saw that video too... Honestly I had more ?'s after watching it.. Suppose I'd have to have hands on to better grasp it.. Typically my style... Tell me all day and I'm still lost.. Get my hands on it one time and I'm good to go.. Most of the time. Lol. Use the ikon... Seems that's a good gov from what I here.

I hear ya....I can usually grasp the concept after a couple of times watching a video but when it comes time to doing the work, I need hands on for it to sink in. I've gotten more help, direction, and understanding by talking with you guys on this forum, which I am forever grateful, than I would ever pickup in a video but the video helps me get started.

That is how I'm running mine. If I have an Ikon on it, then I run Ikon gov, soft start, auto-rotation recovery, etc. I use CC gov, soft start, auto-rot recovery on my 7200BX equipped helis.

I like to be able to use one thing for as many functions as I can. Man, when the iPhone came out and I could have my MP3 player, GPS, Phone, Camera, etc. all in one device I was sold! However, at my level, I think I need to consider all options. I'm used to pulling them out of the box, binding, and flying. The only thing I would adjust is the settings in the Tx if I couldn't get the thing to fly right.....I flew them how they were. Never really paid attention to setup because eventually, I could fly them. I wanted to go bigger and better so this past fall I bought the 450 3D and got a screaming deal on the 500X and when winter set in I jumped in and got the high end stuff. Then my buddy said you should build one, you'll learn a lot, so, here I am building a G630! You know, he was right! I'm learning everyday!

Last edited:

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
I am working on the head speed math for my Goblin. What motor efficiency should I use for the Scorpion 4035-560 - 90%, 85%????

Tony

Staff member
Somewhere in there should be good. 90% is probably more accurate. The higher the percentage, the higher your calculated head speed will be so it almost assures you that it's going to be lower than you calculated. This can be good to keep the blades from spinning too fast.

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
Cool, thanks! I used 90% last night and it calculated out to a 6% head with the stock 20T pinion. A 21T pinion would give me 10%. I will post my math when I get home from the office.

Last edited:

Admiral

Thanks HeliDinoRC,for starting this thread and all those that contributed you've filled in a lot of gaps to my knowledge on the subject.

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
You're welcome! I have some links to other threads that might be helpful in my Goblin build thread on page 5, post #43.

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
Here is my math for working out my head speed options. Is this correct?

The 2350 value is what SAB recommends as max head speed. 1900 I chose after a discussion with Paul that I should not go below 1900 to start with. 2125 I picked because it was somewhere in between. Is there a formal calculation for determining the N, IU1, IU2 head speeds.

I will not be flying smack for a while but I'm wondering if it is okay to set the governor up with only a 5% head for sport flying or if I should just switch out the pinion to the 21T.

(Percentage values do not coincide with Tx values)

Goblin 630 Head Speed Calculation For 20T Stock Pinion

Target: 1900/2125/2350

(560*50.4)/(204/20) * 0.90 =
(28224 / 10.2) * 0.90 =
2767 * 0.90 =
2490 RPM w/ 20T Pinion

SAB Suggested Max Head Speed 2350 RPM
2350 / 2490 = 94% of Max - 5% Head
2125 / 2490 = 85% of Max
1900 / 2490 = 76% of Max

95% Throttle yields 2340 RPM Max Gov. Head Speed

Governor Settings in iKON
Normal = 76% or 1892 RPM
IU1 = 85% or 2116 RPM
IU2 = 95% or 2341 RPM

Goblin 630 Head Speed Calculation For 21T Pinion
Target: 1900/2125/2350

(560*50.4)/(204/21) * 0.90 =

(28224 / 9.7) * 0.90 =
2910 * 0.90 =
2619 RPM w/ 21T Pinion

SAB Suggested Max Head Speed 2350 RPM

2350 / 2619 = 90% of Max - 10% Head
2125 / 2619 = 81% of Max
1900 / 2619 = 73% of Max

90% Throttle yields 2357 RPM Max Gov. Head Speed

Governor Settings in iKON
Normal = 73% or 1912 RPM

IU1 = 81% or 2121 RPM
IU2 = 90% or 2357 RPM

Throttle Curve:

I am thinking I will use the CC ESC Soft Start function unless it is not advised
If I use the iKON to control soft start my Normal curve should be 0-30-30-30-30, correct? or is there a soft start option in the iKON?

Throttle Curve using CC ESC Soft Start Function:

N = 30-30-30-30-30
IU1 = 60-60-60-60-60
IU2 = 100-100-100-100-100

Is this correct????

Last edited:
Top Bottom