450 Throttle And Tail Lock Loss..

Rob Lancaster

Wow! My 450 was flying good until I tried to tweak out the gyro a bit.
I was flying and landed to set the radio so I could adjust the gyro settings. The FM was set to Norm and the throttle was set low and I'm still rotating. As I was setting it the heli just shut down. I was wonder why she shut down. I did not shut down the throttle.

Now as I spool up to full throttle at center stick FM1 I begin to hear a whizzing sound from the tail rotor. After center stick she looses rotor speed and the tail begins to spin out of control.

Did I some how mess up the governor setting?

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
It's early for me so may be over looking something here, but I'm not understanding fully what the heli is doing. You say you hear a whizzing sound then after center stick it loses rotor speed and the tail spins out of control? Sounds like blade reversal to me. But if all you did was make a change to the Tx, reverse those changes.

Rob Lancaster

Yeah all I did was land, lower the throttle, but I was still rotating slowly. Then as I was setting the gyro the ESC shut down the throttle all by it's self. I thought; what the heck why did it shut down.
After that, the problem began.
The blades are rotating in the right direction.
I also set the gyro back a few points where it was but no go...

Rob Lancaster

Ah ha! Exactly what I was thinking. I just wanted a second opinion.

If it turns out to be the case; what do you think caused it? Besides me...……….

Tony

Staff member
Right on. And once you get it dialed in, just fly it lol. It's sounding like the RC Heli Gods are no happy with you and are pranking you hahahahaha.

Rob Lancaster

I know, "what did I do, I try to avoid birds, solar panels, houses, cars, people except me, one of my knuckles is still soar... Hummm, maybe a human sacrifice is in order... :rolleyes:

RandyDSok

That was supposed to be our little secret Randy

Me--->:nutkick:<---Randy

Hey now... when I use that line at work in reference to myself getting asked an unanswerable question... I leave out the "little bit" portion... so there is that :D

Rob Lancaster

Ok guys I found the problem!
After resetting the throttle calibration and the Heli-Store-Gov, the problem was still there.
I tried to take off and the tail rotor again seems to be slowing down again. A tail spin close behind. Now I figure I'm back to a mechanical problem. I see the tail rotor stopped and the mains spinning while I check her out.

At first I though I may have a bad one way bearing when I checked it. Turns out, everything from there to the tail rotor drive shaft turned out to be ok except the 3mm set screw in the tail rotor hub!! Bingo!!! Boy do I feel like a heal! I thought I checked it! But nooooo, it slipped by; DOH!!

I tired to send a short video but no go...
Rster...

Tony

Staff member
Videos you have to upload to youtube then post the link here.

I'm sure there isn't a single one of us that haven't had that happen. It's quite easy to overlook that little guy. Glad you found it.

Rob Lancaster

Thanks buddy!
Man, sometimes YouTube won't allow me to sign in; believe it or not.
I guess they found out I'm a Trump supporter or some thing; oops! Sorry.....
Actually, my internet service, which is supposed to be great,,,, can suck from time to time for sure.. More times than I like!

Must be the cocoanut net; OH YES>>>>>>>>>>>
Rster...

Rob Lancaster

After jumping through a bunch of hoops, I finally was able to get into my YouTube account. Here's a short video of the probable cause, ha!...
I flew two flawless flights today. She flies great again!
Thanks guys!
Rster...

Tony

Staff member
Those tail blades are on backwards. When looking at the tail like we were in the video, it should turn counter clockwise. This action picks the tail up rather than pulling the tail down. Flip the tail blades around, and change the belt and it will fly better than ever.

Rob Lancaster

You ga da be kidding me!
So I check the manual again. How did I screw that up. Oh right, the dyslexia :smashfreakB:…….
Now I feel like an even bigger heel , right in front of the whole world; thanks Tony.. :confused::cool:
Looks like I got some work to do tonight; sweet!!:thumbsup:
Thanks eagle eye..
Rster...

Tony

Staff member
lol, I assure you, 99% of people that have built a helicopter have put that tail on backwards. They all think it doesn't matter, and in most cases it doesn't. But if you start thinking about it, it makes perfect sense. First, the centrifugal force of turning CCW will pick up the tail rather than trying to drop it. And second, you want the tail rotor rotating opposite to the main rotor. So if you twist the tail up to the top of the boom, it should spin opposite the main blades when you spin them. This has very little effect on the helicopter, but is one easy way to test if you have it correctly installed.

Top Bottom