Quad Three blade props

Stambo

Has anyone tried three blade props on their quads. I am curious to know the advantages/disadvantages of these.
Would they be smoother than two blades and therefore better for FPV and aerial video.
I may just buy a set and try them.
I assume that you would go down in size as the lift area would increase with the extra blade.
Or perhaps you just spin them slower.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Tony

Staff member
They are going to take more power to spin, so if you want to try it, go down an inch on teh pitch AND Dia. So if you are running a 10x6, go to a 9x5x3. Keep an eye on the temp of the motors and ESC's as well. If they are going to heat up, they will do it in the first two minutes of flight.

Derek

I dunno if I'll cause a rukus by saying this, but this is just my two cents.

I've heard that 2 bladed props perform "cleaner" and more efficient than 3 bladed props. The turbulence that is created by each blade gets disturbed by the following blade creating more and more turbulence. With a two bladed prop, there is less disturbance, therefore better performance/efficiency.

Does that make sense?

However, just as Lee said above...I've never seen a multi-rotor have three bladed props on it, so I wish you the best of luck and I hope that you report back any test results.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Three blade props are not going to improve preformance on a Rc model. They are just for looks! Couple if guys tried them on fpvlabs with no good results. A two blade prop is way more efficient than a three. If you want better prop s then go to graupner's. If you can find them. There getting scarce. I'm going to try the xors myself. Also tiger motors just came out with quad props that have good wright ups on them. Put it this way. If three blade props were any good then everyone would be using them!

Stambo

Three blade props are not going to improve preformance on a Rc model. They are just for looks! Couple if guys tried them on fpvlabs with no good results. A two blade prop is way more efficient than a three. If you want better prop s then go to graupner's. If you can find them. There getting scarce. I'm going to try the xors myself. Also tiger motors just came out with quad props that have good wright ups on them. Put it this way. If three blade props were any good then everyone would be using them!

Good point, I don't see many quads with three blade props. Maybe I just stick with two.

Tasajara

I have seen a few Quads with them...
But 2 blade is the way to go... Less turbulence, cleaner air....
I have a set of Xoar just have not finished the QAV yet to try them.... maybe this weekend I will have it ready to try....for wood props they are very light..
I did notice the Tiger Motor Props.... they look sweet... all carbon matte finish, plus the tips are turned up so to
help with turbulence at low altitude.
I will get set in the near future... But breaking one will hurt more that you feelings lol..
@ $33.99 a pair you don't want to break to many...

Last edited:

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I always put cheep props on my quads for the first few flights till I get everything set up properly then replace them with good props after i get used to flying her!

Stambo

I decided to get some smaller props instead of the three blades. I have now got 8x4.5s on my 450 quad and what a difference.
It is so much more stable and doesn't go crazy when I stop from fast forward flight.
Now I can get down to fine tuning the KK2 board and start doin some video.

Stambo

Cool glad to here you got a good combo.... The right prop can make a world of difference.

I just flew 3 more batteries with it today, I can't believe how much more confident I am now that it flies properly.
I thought 8 inch props were way too small for my machine and the weight I ask it to carry but who knew.

stambo, what size props were you using before the 8's? i have got 9x4.5's on my similar size quad, a warthox frame about 430mm. im having real trouble keeping it at one height with the kk2 board that it came with. i just ordered a naza m system with gps hoping that will help. if not, it will be an expensive mistake lol.

Top Bottom