Thought it would never happen to me:

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Not sure, was only a minute into the flight and I saw smoke. Should have autoed her in but I tried to fly her down. NOTE TO SELF: see smoke, hit TH!

Tony

Staff member
Holy hell bro! That sucks! I would definitely contact Castle over this one and post pictures of the entire bird. THIS is the reason I just can't bring myself to get a CC ESC. I value my helicopters more than this and the fact that it's still happening is not a good sign.

And I agree. See smoke, hit TH. Even if you just let it drop out of the sky, the damage "should" be less than an inferno. Sorry again bro, this really sucks.

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey Tony, yeah it sucks! I've already torn the heli down and made a assessment and didn't take any pictures of the wreck. I have lots of spare parts and can fix it fairly cheep. My biggest cost will be a new ESC. That was my last ICE2. All my others are Edge controllers and I think they are a lot more dependable. I didn't contact Castle as I don't think they will do anything for me being a older ICE2. But I'll give them a call tomorrow for S&G, you never know...

murankar

Staff member
Yes if you see smoke throttle hold, there is already damage so a crash is minor compared to what could have happened.

As for Castle yes the ICE line had issues, a lot of issues. When Castle created the Edge line they told us they addressed the issues and fixed them. I know (hear say) Justin Pucci at RCHN was pushing an Edge 180 to over 200 amps for speed flying. He was still using that esc up until recently when he replaced it with a Kontronic. I am surprised that Castle did not issue a recall on the products to begin with.

bbj

It would seem a recall would have been the proper thing for them to do. Its like all businesses they hold off on recalls hoping the issue will hide under a rug to save money. Darn that's a shame you didn't think of hitting the HT. Hope you get it back in the air soon.

murankar

Staff member
When the bec goes your basically dead in the water. The only thing you can do is hope it comes down quick. With bec failures like thus you run the risk of passing full voltage to the RX which in turn can burn the whole system.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Westy

LEGEND
Sorry to see the carnage!
I HATE Built in BEC's
my CC Phoenix Edge 160 for my Gobby has no BEC .... so i hopefully will never see that!

pvolcko

It was a ICE2 HV 120. No internal BEC. This was ESC only.

Also the big problems were with the ICE (as in 1) line. ICE2 was supposed to have fixed the fireball issues. And I think they largely did. Reports were far less frequent with the ICE2 line. Back to a normal failure rate seen on high power ESCs of any brand? I don't know. Especially hard to know since people have a bug in their bonnet about CC anything since the problems with the original ICE line.

Definitely call them. They may not do anything for you on the heli but they may very well offer you a new Edge HV 120 or perhaps steep discount on one.

Dirk

Ouch!! Not nice at all. I'll crap myself if the ICE2 in my Trex 700 does that. I've now fitted a cooling fan to it, just in case.

Look what happened to my E-Flite 80A ESC in my Pilatus PC 21 last weekend. ESC and OS motor is toast! I am thankful that I did not use the bec in the ESC. Would have lost the plane too if I had. The motor made a screeching sound about halfway into my flight and 2 seconds later I just saw a trail of white smoke. ( It looked cool! )Luckily I managed to land the plane okay.

Now I wonder. Did the motor cause the ESC to go or did the ESC cause the motor to go. The ESC is, well, look at the photos. :eek1: The motor has lots of molten copper wires inside. Sorry, no pic of the motor. Just about every single wire became unsoldered!
24 January 2015 880.jpg24 January 2015 877.jpg

24 January 2015 880.jpg

24 January 2015 877.jpg

Last edited:

Dirk

I agree. I for one don't trust the e-flite anymore. I've had good luck with the Castles so I bought a new Talon 90 today. Let's hold thumbs this one doesn't go up in smoke.

Tony

Staff member
Hold thumbs? That must be a south Africa thing lol. Never heard of it here. But yes, lets hope the Talon works out for you!

Top Bottom