General This conserns motor replacement

supercub

If you are going too replace your motor for more performance. Or it has gone bad what are the variables that come into play. Me being a rookie i would guess that flying weight would be a start but could someone give me so more. Also what do the numbers represent when looking at motors, for the record my smart plane has a flying wt of 1800g or 63.6 oz and motor is a bm3720-kv600. Again any help appreciated and thanks . Supercub

murankar

Staff member
Size if the heli is the primary thing to look at.

If you have a 450 size you want a motor around 3400 to 3500 kv.

If you are something bigger the kv of the motor will go down and on smaller the kv will go up.

Each size has a "standard" of rating.

So what size heli are you flying and what brand is it?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Tony

Staff member
Moved this thread into the heli beginner help area. Off topic chat only in the lounge please.

Derek

He is asking about a motor for a plane. It's a Dynam Smart Plane. Unfortunately, im at work so I can't be of much help.

RandyDSok

Actually... this is not a simple subject and even the question as stated is too incomplete to start with only that info in order to get to the answer you are really looking for... Some examples to show what I'm talking about...

What do you mean by "performance"... more efficient so you get longer flights... or perhaps something faster... or something with more power ( ie torque ).

What type of plane are we speaking about... a glider ( since some do have motor's ), a trainer ( one such as your nickname perhaps ), a sport flyer, an aerobatic airplane, a 3D flier... perhaps a jet or other speed demon. Of course what is built from will also come into play such as foam, balsa, fiberglass etc.

Since your nickname is supercub... I'm going with that for a more direct example of just a trainer and things to consider. Most Cub's are really good trainers... they have decent amount of dihedral so they will self level to a degree.. have a docile slow flight capability and look like a real plane so many people like them. They do have a fault though... on take off, they like to ground loop if you aren't careful and you apply too much power to them. So this may not be a good plane to add any more speed or power to or you would likely worsen this trait UNLESS the motor it has now is way underpowered to start with. By now you should get an idea... than the answer ( and question itself ) really isn't always as simple as it may first sound.

Another area that need's considered is not only the type of plane... but the type of wing it has. What type of power to weight ratio is best for it... what it's wing loading is ( how many square inches of wing vs the total weight ). How high the plane stands will figure into it since you'll also need to probably use a different prop.

When changing the motor... the batteries, the esc and other things come into play also... when adding more "performance" you usually are also adding more weight which will also affect the plane's CG in some cases if not addressed properly. If you counterbalance the weight... you increase the wing loading and that can make it fly sensitive or squirrely.

On the numbers for the motor... overall .... they represent the size of the motor but not much more. An example being it doesn't tell you how many volts it can support ( ie number of cells ) or the amperage it can handle. They also mean different things depending on what the manufacturer wanted .... the first four numbers are size in MM ... sometimes that is the outside can's diameter and length.... sometimes it's the size of the stator inside of the can. The last group of numbers usually has to do with the winding or what KV the motor has... again there isn't a standard per se.

Now... you are starting to see there may be a bit more to it. That doesn't mean you shouldn't consider it... just that it may mean a little more thought first.

RandyDSok

Using a brand name with proper cap's like you just did... is much different than just "smart plane" which could be and usually would normally be considered an adjective with a noun used in the manner it was written. ( Cool looking plane btw )

None the less... while my info may not be for that specific plane it's still valid in the general sense that I wrote it.

Top Bottom