Kits Thinking of a new project

So im thinking that I want to build a Cessna 182 scale model just the only thing im unsure of is if I want to go the electric route or the nitro/gas route so I need some input here. If I go the electric route theres a somewhat prebuilt kit out that comes with a lighting kit and cockpit crew panels and a slim plastic magnet battery box hidden outside under the body so it will pass for a scale model and all & I alsi have the option of going with gas engine with the same kit its just if I want gas then this kit is $400 cuz its both gas of electric kit or I can get a kit for $200 that is not built at all and its for gas, the same size but the light kit snd internal cockpit decor is extra. My main wuestions and deciding factors are how long of flight time would I get out of either, overall intial cost, overall running cost, performance etc? Thsnks for the help Tom

Tony

Staff member
It's going to boil down to this. Do you like to tinker with them, clean them off, fuel them up, empty the tank after the day of flying? If you don't want to do any of what I just posted, then go electric. If you don't mind using a bottle of windex a month on your model to clean it off as well as 2 rolls of paper towels, then go with nitro. Gas is cleaner and cheaper, but it's two stroke only and IMO, the sound just isn't there for a scale plane. However, I think my next plane is going ot be a 72" Edge 540 with a 35cc gas 2 stroke. Those sound awesome, but it's what people ahve come to know from them.

Ya i used to own a nitro truck and dont mind the tinkering or cleaning part that is kind of the joy i have in the hobby field of all rc models is tinkering. I just went to my LHS and was asking them about their Cessna 182 kit and how much on avg it would cost me after all set and they said around 700-$800 after everything and they also told me that now they have engines that run off of gasoline like automotive gasoline and that they are quiet clean compared to nitro or what was called gas for only bout an extra $50 for the engine. I have been looking at 2 different kits both of which are Cessna 182 skylane's and both are from Top-Flite but one is $200 and the other $400 because one is partly built and comes with light kit and option of EP/GP with the proper hatches and opening for either way you go and still keep it IMAA scale legal and the cheaper one which is the one my LHS quoted me on is a full kit from scratch that i guess you could convert to EP but you'd have to find your own parts to do so and it doesnt come with lights or any pre made plastic hatches to keep things nice and hidden. IDK i think ill go Gasoline when i do it cuz its alot faster to fill up a tank than it is to charge batteries. I know when i do it im goingto upgrade the front gear with steerable wheel from Robart so it'll be pretty sweet cuz i love scale. But before starting all that im gonna keep with my heli's and maybe buy a fuselage for one of them if i can find one to make it scale. Thanks for your input Tony.

svan3001

I have been spending a lot of time thinking of the same issue. Go electric or gas. That's why I am going to do two. I have always wanted a 4 stroke and so I am going to build another 1985 anniversary cub with a OS 91, and I going to build the Pilatus Porter as an electric. Cost is a factor, but like you mentioned the waiting for a battery to charge has its disadvantages. I just started hearing people talk about the new gas motors. I'll have to look more into those. Well I am like others am looking forward to your build. I am waiting for the postman to deliver the Goldberg cub. I am going to build it first, I had one before and it is one of my favorite planes, I can't believe I found one NIB on Ebay and was able to buy it. Well anyhow whatever you decide looking forward to seeing the build. Sam

murankar

Staff member
The last fun fly I was at I saw a "gasser" heli. Gaba and I walked up behind the pilot a then Gaba said "we should have picked another location. He is going to be flying for another 20 minutes. Yes 20 minutes of flight time. I think the help was a .90 size.

So if it is flight time you want go gasser. If you love the smell sound of nitro then go that route.

Electric is not as bad as you might think. The secrete is in the power supply and charger. Some people can charge a 12s 5000 mah pack in just under 20 minutes. So you really need to figure out what is to much cost for your budget.

20 minutes between flights is not bad if you fly at a club. You'll wait in line almost 20 minutes just to get to the flight line.

Top Bottom