Things happen in 3's....

Tony

Staff member
Well, I went out first thing this morning, and trimmed in the E-Razor that I'm giving to the other admin on here (Paulster2) so he can start flying. After a good flight with that heli, I shot the last video (and it's live right now) of the DX6i & CCPM Full Setup. Had a wonderful flight on that one.

Well, to grasp the good luck I was having, I decided that after I started to upload the video, I would take the 450 back out, and just fly. The whole time I was out there before, I was calm, and didn't have the shakes lmao (you konw what I'm talking about). But, the second I turned the Tx on for the "flight", holy crap, I couldn't have held a glass of water... I'm sitting here thinking, "why in the world haha". So, I just put it in the air and start flying. Everything is going great so I wanted to do a nice low pass. Well, it was a little too low, hit the skids on teh ground, it bounced up and when it hit the ground the second time, it caught some grass and pulled it over before I could react. So, it tipped to the left, had a blade strike and that was all she wrote.

Total Damage
Chipped the Blades
Bent the main shaft
Bent the flybar (surprising huh? hahaha)
bend the feathering shaft
bent the tail boom
Broke off one of the body mounts...

Okay, I laughed that one off cause it was a stupid mistake trying something that I should have...

So, I take the mCP-X out and beat the crap out of it. (it's still in one piece haha) but then my Tx starts wacking out on me. And then the light goes out. OMG, so I come in and fix that (the wire came off the light sheet and touched part of the board, no damage).

So, I calm my nerves, and look up at my wall, and there hangs the 500 that I have been trying to get in teh air. So, I grab it, the DX6i, and a battery, and we are out the door. I get behind my garage, put the battery in and spin her up. all of a sudden the thing just hauls nose left, and I set it down really quick. I center everything, double check everything, then unplugged the battery and plugged it back in so the gyro would reinitialize. Everything looks good, take it back up. I have to hold a little rudder to keep it in the air, but I keep it there. I get it up, look at the blade tracking, and it's way off. So, I lower the stick to come down, it starts goign down, and just before hitting the ground, I give it a little more stick so I don't slam into it. Well, there was a delay before the cyclic responded, so it slammed into the ground. The only thing that can cause this, is the OrangeRx that is on there just for testing (it fails lol). But, there is no damage, and I want to get that blade tracking right. So, I adjust the blade that is low, and up again. Close, come back down and do it again. Up I go, then I see my daughter come around the garage to watch, but she has to walk really close to teh helicopter, so I sat it down. I look over at her before it slows the head down to make sure where she is, and CRASH! OMG it was the worst sound ever. The main chassis is in one spot, the battery in another, the tail boom in another, boom supports about 10' away, and teh canopy exploded.... I just picked it up, went inside and tossed it on the ground.

So, what is the damage of that, quite a bit.

Main shaft
Flybar
Feathering shaft
Tail Boom
Belt
Canopy
Main gear
Blades
gyro
lower chassis support

Here is the 450 aftermath...
d58a95e4.jpg
e5b993b5.jpg
9cc3b41f.jpg
8ee828d1.jpg

And here is the 500...
a9b2d78f.jpg
b255613d.jpg
07fadc0e.jpg
7dbbab40.jpg
b5eacaee.jpg
cf2d172e.jpg
c9287968.jpg
906fd361.jpg
be75d65c.jpg

I'm done for the day......

Lee

Just one of those days Tony. Like mine. Take a deep breath go do something else and come back with a fresh look. :D

Tony

Staff member
Yup, that's all you can do lol. I have the poor guys sitting here beside me, both without tail booms hahaha. Can't even hang them on the wall to give them some dignity....

Tony

Staff member
Yeah buddy I do hahaha

Just wait, your turn is coming. But you know what really sucks, now that I have to buy a new canopy, I have the gromets for yours hahahahaha, and I already sent it out.....

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, but I have the "thang" here and don't need them hahahahaha. But, in that video that you just watched, the canopy stayed on throughout the whole flight without the grommets, so it will work without them if need be.

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
I mean it would only cost a couple bucks for the grommets. No sense in leaving them off and having the canopy rip off or something stupid like that.

Whirlybird

Tony, where's the video?!?!? :hmmm:

It never happened with no video :rules:

Wait till I get my 500 up in the air . . . I'll show you guys some crashes!!!! . . . And I'll do it Backward too :banana:

Rain . . . Rain . . . Go Away :huepfenicon111:

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Well, there is no video of the 500 cause I was trying to get the blade tracking correct. Nothing exciting about watching it go up, then down, then up, then down lmao. I do however, have video of the 450. and after further review and listening to the sound of the wind, think it was pushed into the ground, and it wasn't me... That's my story and I'm sticking to it haha. I will see if I can get the video edited and put up for you guys.

Tony you had "One of those Day's" where you just wished you stayed in bed lol, the 500 got damaged bad and it was on the ground too, the tail boom, that actually snapped clean off at boom mount,
hope you can get all the Spares for them , as some places seem still out off stock, which is peeing me off a little, cant even get a 450 main gear

Tony

Staff member
The thing that is really bad, it's going to cost about $70 to fix teh 500. I can get a whole new kit for that price. Not sure I'm going to fix this one because of that. But, I don't know if it was the head or the blades that were off on this. I had the pitch set perfect, and it was still way off in the air. But the blades spec'd out perfect. IDK, I will just rebuild the 250 and 450, fly those and maybe get the 500 CMT later on down the road.

Oh, and those prices are for EXI parts, not Align. I could only imagine what I would spend if I ordered all align lmao.

Lee

I think you should get the 500 up again. It would be a shame to put it on the shelf after one flight. I had to fork out $125 to get a new CX500 TT which i will take the pieces from to repair my other 500. But you know me, i'll end up with two 500 LOL

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
Wow, what have I gotten myself into :homer: I thought cars were expensive (yah, the full size ones you put big engines in ... not RC models :chuckles:). Seems these little guys will nickel and dime you to death! Oh well, it does happen to be one of the coolest things ever though. Nothing like flying a heli to ping the cool factor!

Tony

Staff member
Well, to get that 500 back in the air will take a while. But, I will have another one in the air. And Paul, the 450's are not near as expensive. You have a great starting platform and parts are pretty cheap for that heli when they are in stock lol.

Top Bottom