General There is HOPE!! :)

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I have been out of flying since last 1.5 month or more. Not touched a heli in that time. built some planes.. but didnt have my dx6i.. Well now that its back..and also now that I upgraded the tail equipment to GP 780 and DS520.. , i took my 450 for a fly.. Started sim-ing this week again... Had an "epiphany" moment (like lee :p :D) , and started hovering inverted pretty good on the sim... And again and again..and again.. backwards flight is coming to me slowly...

But i had never done anything on my 450 except for really just slow circuits.. I was intimidate by 1. Size, 2. Idle up.. well... I faced it tonite...

Attempt 1... got the heli up and in a hover... ROCK STEADY TAIL.. NO SUBTRIM, NO TRIM, NO ADJUSTMENT, NOTHING.. just put the servo horn at the right place, and it was good to go!! COULDNT BELIEVE IT! IT was in a perfect hover with tail in.. took it up couple feet.. did a circuit.... flipped into IDLE UP... tried to do a flip... well.... gave negative too soon, heli started plummeting ... but saved it before it was about less than 5ft abve..... "PHEW! " Idle up flipped off. hahha

Attempt 2.. i was like this is not happening.. went into idle up, tried again.. this time feeling in to where the heli really needs a negative pump... gave it... much unlike the mcpx.. this heli made smoothest ever flips and rolls..OHHH!! compared to mcpx.. this heli is SO SO SO much smoother and Slower in 3d... ahhh.. its a dream how this thing flies... Did a couple flips and rolls... was shaking .. fingers were really really shaking... (ohh and yeah i did reduce the D/r and expo a bit too thinking i might need faster response doing 3D.. )

Attampt 3.. now was the inverted hover part... ohhh that gave me the chills.. but i was determined.. lol... rolled it into inverted.. made it stay... 10seconds i think.. i was in a relatively controlled inverted hover state... AHHH!! it was AWWESOME!! recovered back.. flew around... AGAIN!!! went into inverted hover... tried to keept it longer, but heli started drifting towards the danger zone... so flipped it back... by that time.. my timer came to zero too.. did a very soft beautiful landing.. AND.. THERE!! I was too happy...

gotta say one thing... good electronics help.. but they are not an excuse. SIM-ing has really really helped... i am in love with this heli ... :)

So this goes out the the noobies.. like me!! you'll get there!! :) just keep goin! :)

Last edited:
Congrats Gabs, on your first inverted and flips and roll with the 450, a little at a time is definitely the way to go.
If you get overconfident thats when things happen for the worst,

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
very true jolly.. and believe me !! i am nowhere even confident yet.. I was shaking the whole time.. I could literally feel my fingers twitch just because it was intimidating.. lol ... i am half way over the fear of the idle up switch though.... just gotta remember the one on the other side! LOL :)

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
Great deal Gaba! Sounds like you had a load of fun! I need to get my 450 up and running so I can get ther as well :biggrin1:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
TWO MORE FULL BATTERIES OF LOOPS ROLLS AND FLIPS GUYS.. an almost failed attempt at inverted hovering.. but i guess i was to far.

I let it get far enough that I could see it, and still when i banged on the stick.. i literally saw a time lag between the stick and the heli... But it was all good cause i also realized that I did not have a good bind after all... So. I grounded it, turned it off... and turned it back on... all good.. :) So... amazing day of flying.. no damages so far... going good.. gonna try some inverted hovering if i can again... I am telling you.. 450 is easier than an MCPX.. dont tihnk that i dont like that little birdie though... I love that thing!! And believe me I will definately fix that heli once i get a couple bucks! :) probably might go BL.. never know!! :p :D lol

Lee

Really want to get my 450 up and running. Its been 6 months since i flew a 450. Next week i hope if all goes well.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I know the feeling. If they won't stop making me work weekends, I'll never get my workshop put together. Lol I want to get my 450 together and fly it.

Tony

Staff member
If it makes you guys feel any better, I just got all of the parts in for my 450, and I have to work this weekend as well. Should get to it Monday or Tuesday though while I'm working on the site.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
well guys 6.5 batteries later. I crashed... haha.. dont have a good handle on inverted hover apparently.. tried it once didnt work... tried it again.. PLOWED the grass... lol

anywaz... damage .. Main head block (again), i think main shaft , jesus bolt, tail boom. flybar... may be feathering shaft... but ... gotta say the 4 dollar HK main head blocks held up pretty good.. i have one or two more lying around.. have all the parts, so no worries will be in the air in no time... DO NEED TO SIM MORE!! lol...

like jolly said... NO OVERCONFIDENCE! lol

Lee

How high are you trying this Gaba?
When i first started i was so high i could hardly see the orientation. But i had so much height to recover. Between 50/100FT
Get it back up, higher this time :D

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
i know i was more worried about disorientation so i didnt keep very high.. and i lost height too fast, over corrected, and didnt even have enough height left to flip it back up.. lol.. i will try it again... will sim a bit more.. and my rolls and flips are getting better, i loose very less (if not no) height at all... :)

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
after looking into things more.. found out that my main head block bearings had gone gritty and really not smooth... well, not wanting a bearing failiure and seizure in mid air... i went to the lhs and picked up boca bearings.. just 1.25 a peice, so i picked up 4... just in case... replaced them.. and found out they were the right diameter and all )hole size) but not the xact same width.... they sank in a little bit... like half a mil in.. well two blocks... two sunk bearings.. means 1mm play in the head.... well.. i adjusted the little slider on the main shaft, but then gear mesh was messed up with the pinion.. lol, it was not 100perc, but like 90-95perc... ughh

adjusted the pinion.... but pinion screw is not on the flat surface on motor shaft anymore, its riding on the shaft... ummm.... is that bad?? is it definatele supposed to be on the flat area... ??

the head is smooth as milk now... but what about that pinion??? please let me know! :)

Lee

I would either put a shim under the bearing or take the bearings back to get the right size. Sounds like your just making do with what you got. Do it right and you will save yourself from problems later. Or not...maybe it will be fine :D

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I am not sure if the bearings are wring or it's the problem of the clone.. Lol. I can take the bearings back, but just wanted to know about the motor pinion first... If that's a problem at all? :)

---
I am here: Google Maps
- Gaba

Lee

Well its a point of failure but my 450 motor doesnt have a flat spot and its been flying for more than a year :D

Top Bottom