the strip-down and rebuild of my Blade 450

this is going to be my thread where i strip down the blade of all broken parts and rebuild it...

i will be needing advice on new parts ive found on ebay etc. i dont want to spend a million dollars on this but I also dont want performance or safety to suffer.

so here is the Blade stripped ready for cleaning and prepping for its new components.

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

has anybody used these heads before, or have any opinions on their quality

- - - Updated - - -

and what about these servos for cyclic, im leaving the stock servo on for the tail as its suppose to be good one..

Last edited:

Lee

The head is a good one but those servos are not what you want on a FBL head.
They are not digital.

murankar

Staff member
I use the 0257s my self and do really well. Metal gear, digital and operate best at 6v but can handle the lower voltage just fine.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Thanks guys, do you think it's best to have plastic or metal gear being a novice pilot, all those servos are similar price so I can get either...

Slobberdog

Metal gears will strip on the cheaper servos just like the plastics do, plastic gear sets are cheaper so if you do break them they won't break the bank,

Metal gears will strip on the cheaper servos just like the plastics do, plastic gear sets are cheaper so if you do break them they won't break the bank,

That sounds good to me Kev, I'll put the DS76 servos on, I actually still have those so I'll buy all new gear sets for them and new horns.

Thanks

Slobberdog

People are putting the ds76 servos on the Trex 250 pro DFC, as they are quite a bit lighter for the 3 than the ds415m servos, and getting good results doing 3d, so the servos can't be that bad,

- - - Updated - - -

Here you go servo gear set for ds76 servo, I use this site regularly and the service is great, and he is very helpful if you have a query,

http://www.align-trex.co.uk/servos-and-servo-parts/servos-e-flight/ds76-gear-set-eflrds761.html

im trying to solve a little incompatibility problem with my blade swashplate and the FBL head.

i cant find another swash on the web that will suit my blade frame, meaning the anti-rotation arm is at 180 degrees to the elevator servo arm, the only ones i can find have the anti-rotation arm with the elevator ball on this arm...

i have a new blade stock swashplate with 4mm balls, but the FBL head arms requires balls of 4.75mm, so im looking for a mechanically sound solution..

thanks

swash and head.jpg
these are the components i have

swash and head.jpg

little update on my rebuild

i had to grind off the bolts that hold the 440 motor to the mount as i couldnt get them off, anyway the stock motor as dry fitted now with a 10T pinion, no more excessive head speeds hopefully..

stock motor back on heli.jpg

stock motor back on heli.jpg

murankar

Staff member
Once your done there go back through the esc and make sure its programmed right.

As for the metal vs plastic gears: typically with good servos plastic will strip easier, produce slop quicker but are cheaper over all. Metal gear may have some slop but don't wear nearly as quick, harder to strip and cost a little more also should be lubricated periodically. Then there is titanium gears all i can say about them is they cost some money so they are going to be spot on every time without worry of slop or wear.

Personally for the flying you are at right now the savox 0257s are going to be the best option unless you can find some align ds415m servos.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Thanks for that Matthius, for now I'm going to put the ds76 servos on just to get it back in the air ASAP. I've ordered a new Tarot dfc head from hong kong, and some feathering shafts as spares..until all that arrives I'll put this Copterx head back on, it's worked ok before event though the quality isn't up to much.

When I gain some flight experience I'll start upgrading servos etc.

Thanks

Top Bottom