250 The Oxy 3 Begins

murankar

Staff member
Today my first round of parts came in:

P_20190122_111711_LL.jpg

Hobbywing V4 40 amp, solid brand. While they have their quality issues I still feel a reliable brand. This will be my second V4 HW esc I hope this one goes better. This particular esc has its own rpm sensor with a pre wired lead. So if your looking for an external governor then the v4 might be the ticket.

This motor is the Lynx 2214 4100of, its the recommended motor for the OXY 3. The motor is 3S or 4S and runs a 3.17 mm shaft for the pinion. Lynx also makes a rewind or self wind kit for this motor. So if your into self winding that is available.

The blades are 50 mm which is the bigger size for lower head speeds. Lower is classified as 3500 and below. I may need to double check that figure. So the manual say what I posted already.

I will need to crunch some numbers but I think I will be going for a range of 3500 to 3700 to 4000 on head speeds. Again I will need to do some math and see. Depending on what's in the kit I will need to add some 47 mm tails to the list along with the 275 mm lynx plastic blades. Yep going to go plastic for most of my flying. I am still getting the Rotor Tech carbons but for my general stuff the plastic will be just fine and at $15 you can go wrong.

My next purchase will be 2 batteries and connectors and maybe the main blades. We shall see how things play out.

In the meantime the Neo and BK servos will be removed from the X3 for now. I really can't see spending the money on servos and FBL when I have them sitting around. In the near future I will be getting the lynx kst servos and possible setting up the kbar for the vcontrol. My goal is low cost and recycle as much as I can.

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
That's just the first installment. I still don't have an airframe yet. I am hoping I have it in march at the latest.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Sweet URI. It's the beginning of a exciting build. Enjoy :). I would say pics of the build but that just silly to ask of you :eek:

murankar

Staff member
Minor set back, I mean minor. So I decided to update the Neo, then thought lets update the new 40amp esc. Well I can't find my program box right now. I know its here I just don't know where. I was using it to check pack cells during the load bank project.

Set back number 2. During said updates I did not realize I have the BK DS 5002 tail servo. Yep its a mini not a micro. I might have to order the BK DS 3002. I will wait and see how the mini does.

murankar

Staff member
I found the program box. Still need to solve the servo issue. Still don't know what route to take.

murankar

Staff member
I just finished doing the ESC firmware update, programmed the ESC for heli linear throttle and upped the BEC voltage to 8V. Now that is done time to wait for the next batch of parts.

murankar

Staff member
Last night I got the Gaui on the bench. I managed to get the servos and wires undone. I still need to disconnect the ball links at the servo arms. I got the Neo removed without damaging the case. I heard this is a problem so I systematically cut away and loosened the 3M grey. Came off with one case and not two cases.

My next feat is going to remove the Pro-bailout feature from the Goblin and add it to the Neo going in the Oxy 3. Unless someone wants to help fund the purchase of the said upgrade.

I really want to use the Mikado UI sensor on the OXY 3. My plan is to use the UI sensor on the Goblin until I can get it on 6S.

Oh spoiler alert, the Goblin is going 6S at some point. I really need a cheaper battery option for her. Going 6S so drop almost a pound if not just over a pound off the kit. Which means I can fly 550 blades which are cheaper. Or I can still fly 570 blades which gives lighter disk loading. Anyhow that's just a thought right now.

Back to the UI sensor. I won't be making a solid on it till after the OXY 3 is built. I need to see how the real estate looks.

Some time today i will be cleaning the Neo out and building a new model so I can get the electrics squared away. I hate stopping in the middle of a build to do electrics.

Tony

Staff member
I'm guessing that Pro-bailout is the one that is €100? Yea, that is quite a bit. And again, this is a good place to say.... Ikon FTW lmao. I had to. I know, Neo, Tx, talking.... I get it.

I don't know that i would go with 6s on a 570. You have a good setup now and have the charger to make it work. What are you going to do with the 6s batteries you have now? Just let them sit?

Can't wait to see the build.

murankar

Staff member
So here's my logic on this.

12S costs me $160 bucks to replace. 6S 5000 costs about $120 each, $40 savings over the year.

My 6S packs have a large droop between load and resting. I had to have my voltage cutoff set almost to 1 volt to get my packs to 3.7 volts. My logic here is that unpacked are shot for sure. Yeah they still fly but not sure how well they will handle.

Lastly the Hobby wing 100 Amp LV has a BEC built in. Which means no flight pack. Takes out another battery.

Tony

Staff member
I didn't know you were running a receiver pack on that 570. But if your batteries are on their last leg, I can see going 6s. But then again, you are only talking $40 a year, and if you can't spin that motor fast enough with half the cells, you are going to need a motor as well. Unless you just want to try to fly at 100% throttle with ultra low head speed. Just thinking outloud lol.

Tony

Staff member
What about the motor? Does it spin fast enough to handle a 6s pack and can it take the extra amperage?

murankar

Staff member
Let me address the bail out real quick. Yes it sucks to pay $112 for that feature. It boils down to what does the pilot want the unit to do. What sold the Vcontrol For me was the radio based set up and tuning. So with that it comes with multiple costs. Oh lets not forget that I got the radio prior to the Jeti and vortex integration.

As for the electrics on the 570, I could in theory run 6S packs on that motor with a different pinion, it would be considered a low head speed setup and I would have to get the speedup gear for the tail.

I would have to upgrade the motor and esc to make it a true 6S setup. Personally I would more than likely find a used scorpion 1100 kv motor.

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
Today I managed to make a small purchase. I got 2 of the 4 batteries needed plus my connectors. I really don't want to take my soldering iron with me, nor my huge tool box to Georgia. I will take some tools but my goal is to take as little as possible to get me through. Based on how everything is falling into place my goal is to take everything down with me and assemble it down there. Its going to be close. If I don't think I can get the big order before I leave ill have to order it after I get there. Which means in May have to use a UPS store for a delivery address.
The army mail system is jacked. So if I can eliminate that part I feel comfortable.

I still have to finish building the basic charge case also. I don't think I have time to work in the addition of the discharge bank. So that part is on hold for now. I do have it apart and I have dry fitted the parts to see how small of a foot print I can make. The relay is huge. My thought is that I won't be pushing more that 22 ish amps at any one time. So cooling should be fine with just a heat sink. The relay is rated at 40 amps.

That's just the quick update.

murankar

Staff member
Well folks there are some things I have tell y'all. I have had an epiphany over the last few weeks in regards to the OXY 3.

All I am saying is that money has changed hands, shipping confirmation has been received. Delivery will be next week some time. Y'all are going to have to wait to find out what I decided on the OXY 3.

What ever it is I still won't be able to fly until one last order is placed. I still need blades because Amain ran out of rotor techs. I am seriously considering plastic blades.

Top Bottom